1996 Dodge Neon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Neon model:
A trooper!
By Maria on 05/27/10 10:46 AM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Neon Highline 4dr Sedan

In my opinion the 1996 Neon is a hands-down winner. After knowing people who had this car and loved it, experiencing the great driving myself, and finding a great deal, I decided to go for it and have not been disappointed. The car definitely has some minor flaws, including crappy paint jobs, but the truth is I've never had to get my car serviced at a mechanic...ever. The things that require service are always minor, and are simple to fix. This car makes several 500+ mile trips per year and I have never been stranded or needed roadside assistance. I had a back-up light problem early on that I thought would be an expensive fix. Turned out it just needed a switch. That's been my biggest issue.

Took My Abuse
By Cranky Teen on 01/15/10 12:44 PM (PST)

1996 Dodge Neon Highline 4dr Sedan

My cranky teen just went past 125,000 miles. It lasted through 11 years of spotty oil changes and benign neglect, but I may have to finally let it go. Had 2 major repairs in that time: Electronics replaced (controlling gauges, radio, etc.) and head gasket repair. Had to rig a fix when the plastic shifter connections broke. Now the transmission/clutch is slowly going, and it stalled on the highway last week. Air conditioner has to be refilled each year and does not last long. Struts gone last year. Paint, 3 speakers, wheel covers, and outside plastic door trim went long ago. She was ugly but got me where I was going; now it's just not worth the cost to fix.

It just won't die
By Afterthought on 01/05/10 13:04 PM (PST)

1996 Dodge Neon 4dr Sedan

I got this car 9 years ago with 25k on it. Sure I've replaced tons of parts (head gasket, alternator, water pump, but not a signle front end part)but I'm not too nice to a car. Decided 2 years ago I'd run it until it died because it's worthless to sell, but the damn thing just won't die. Dents all over, door panel coming off, blown rear strut, but still the thing gets me wherever I'm going reliably and handles the winter better than a 4x4 (and does nice e-brake slides). I'm gonna miss her when she's retired this month, like the really sweet ugly girl you dated that you don't want to admit to.

My Dodge
By 1996 dodge neon on 01/11/09 21:25 PM (PST)

1996 Dodge Neon Highline 4dr Sedan

I am going to be honest. When I bought this car it was okay. As the year went by everything started to break. I had to do a water pump and timing belt in the first month, then a fuel pump. I am currently in the market now because I am tired of repairing everything on the car. All I can say is that it is a good car as long as the person before you took good care of it. If they didn't then don't waste your time because even though the repairs and parts where cheap (autozone) it still stinks having to fix it every 5 minutes. Right now anti freeze is leaking and the car stalls.

Do not buy!
By UNHAPPY on 10/26/08 19:54 PM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Neon 4dr Sedan

This is the worst vehicle that I have ever known. Granted, I bought it salvage title due to a small dent. It only had 70k and I figured it was a champ, by the sound of the engine. $3,000 later, I hate myself for it. I've been through every system of this car. The head gasket, the alternator, the fuel pump, etc. I loath Dodge. Never buy a Neon. Reviews like this are common for this model. I am junking it tomorrow for less than I bought it.

Had to trash it
By phantom on 03/13/07 09:07 AM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Neon Sport 2dr Coupe

I absolutely loved this car when I first bought it. Looked great and drove great. After 2 yrs the problems began. The obvious head gasket plus seals had to be replaced. Every sensor on the car pretty much malfunctioned at some point. Every year and yes I mean every year I had to get it serviced due to misfires. One electrical problem after another. Stereo went out. Door looks worked when they wanted to. Drivers side window was loose and leaked. Oddly enough in the 6 years that I owned that car I never replaced the exaust. Not even the muffler. This is a terrible vehicle and I will never buy a Dodge/Chrysler product again. Terrible!

Not Bad
By Malisha on 08/05/06 17:37 PM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Neon Highline 4dr Sedan

My dad purchased this car for me, as my second car. It was extremely nice at first, and I loved it. This car does lack extreme horsepower. It takes me about 20-25 seconds to reach 60! Slowest car I have ever driven. The transmission is starting to act up, and the struts are starting to go. Air conditioning was charged when my dad purchased it, and then it was warm agian the summer after. Didn't even last 1 year! But the car has never let me down. Always starts, even when it's cold outside. The paint chips like no other. And the windows leak entremely bad. When I drive on the expressway, all I hear is wind, and that's with the windows up.

Great little car!
By Chanda on 07/02/06 20:34 PM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Neon 4dr Sedan

I have had my Neon since May 5, 1997. She's only let me down once due to a freak problem with the idler pulley causing the timing belt to disintegrate at 87,000 miles. We rebuilt her and she's stronger than ever. She was hit on the front passenger corner in November of 2005 and was declared a total loss by the insurance company. We bought her back, fixed her up, and she lives yet again. She's a great car that gets awesome mileage while being a total blast to drive! She's a hoot on the autocross course, too ;)

It's Used
By Casie on 05/20/06 10:31 AM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Neon 2dr Coupe

This car seems to be lacking serious horsepower. Or at least mine is. I have the worst gas mileage in the history of 4 cylinders (5spd to boot) Approx 16 mpg. Also it has a major problem with the window sealing. I have a major leakage. Anytime it rains it leaks. If I am driving I hear a lot of air leaking through. But what can I say, it's used.

Don't let looks fool you
By Don't let LOOKS fool on 04/09/06 23:55 PM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Neon 2dr Coupe

Bought used in 2000 and got rid of in '03.<(which is the best thing I've ever done!) Bought to replace my aging '89 Corsica that I loved till the major breakdowns. Obviously, this car wasn't much better. Tons of problems. Was in the shop more than on the road. Oxygen sensor, battery, alternator; just a few of the problems I had w/ it out of many. HIt 2 different deer w/ it and 2 different times. Had 3 different accidents w/ it w/ other vehicles. I think red is a magnet for things to want to attract too. That or bad luck, not sure which? Who knows, but it was always something going wrong. One good thing is that just going to/from work it got good mileage 28/39! Looks are deceiving.....