1995 Dodge Neon Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Neon model:
Avoid the Neon
By Neon Owner on 01/10/09 22:27 PM (PST)

1995 Dodge Neon Sedan Sport 4dr Sedan

I purchased this vehicle used with with 40k on it in 1998. While for the most part it was dependable, nearly every little thing that could go wrong did: insturment cluster failure, stereo stopped working, paint coming off with major rust, tinting bubbling, windows stopped working, power locks failed, interior and exterior trim falling off the car. I could go on. Performance-wise, the ride was stiff, but it handled well. Low power, not very sporty at all and fuel economy was bad. I averaged about 22mpg with mostly city use. Very low miles were put on the car. With no warning and about 80,000 total miles on the vehicle, it threw the timing belt and destroyed the engine.

Learned to appreciate it
By colmark12 on 01/23/08 23:40 PM (PST)

1995 Dodge Neon Sedan Sport 4dr Sedan

Bought mine with about 150 K miles. Really didnt like it at first...it's not exactly attractive, and it sometimes has a tiny feel. but it grew on me due to the reliability. So many quirks--trunk/back seat leak, weak dashboard, everything rattles, 3 speakers have gone out, meters give out, AC stinks (especially here in AZ), etc. But at the end of the day its done exactly what I've needed it to do. No major problems, just a few things here and there. The acceleration is horrible (automatic) but the car handles amazingly. I've had friends with new cars comment on it. Lasted longer than everyone elses '92-'98 used cars even though people make fun of it. The little compact that could.

A terrific car that endured a hard life
By Dave on 05/15/06 10:32 AM (PDT)

1995 Dodge Neon Sedan Sport 4dr Sedan

This was one of the most fun, well-balanced cars out there if you got a stick-shift. The automatic turned it into an econobox, but with the stick, it was a really well-balanced car for fun driving. Great mileage, an interior about the size of a Camry, and total reliability even though we had it running mainly on NYC and Jersey City streets really impressed us.

The Ultimate Lemon
By Andres on 01/31/06 18:58 PM (PST)

1995 Dodge Neon Sedan Sport 4dr Sedan

Be prepared to have it in the shop often, and be prepared for the most expensive of repairs. Beware corrosion issues with the starter cables/wires, battery, and terminals. Beware belts breaking/snapping, burning for both serpentine and timing belts. Beware having to replace the Head Gaskets, and the AC/compressor. Beware having to replace O-rings & seals for solving gas tank leaks. Beware the windshield suddenly cracking right down the middle while its parked and untouched one random day. I have to admit, when the car ran, it was a decently good car. Problem is, it doesn't run often, requires towing often, and is expensive to live with.

I don't know
By massachubbs on 10/22/05 22:52 PM (PDT)

1995 Dodge Neon Sedan Sport 4dr Sedan

The Neon is not a great car, however, for cheap transportation you can't beat it. Really, you can't beat it or it will break. but once you get used to the poor acceleration, which is a lack of low end torque, it's an alright car to drive because it handles amazingly well. If you like to zig-zag in traffic, this car can be fun. The brake are kind of crappy, so watch out. And the car, not just as a domestic but rather as a Dodge, tends to break down a lot. I got the sport and blew a water pump as soon as I got it. Now the brain and the fuel pump have gone out, and it's really not worth the fix. Good luck and God bless.

180,000 miles and still running strong
By Natedogg on 06/02/05 11:34 AM (PDT)

1995 Dodge Neon Sedan Sport 4dr Sedan

I bought the car with 145000 miles on it, and all I had to replace was the head gasket. I bought some performance struts and lowering springs. The car carves corners like nothing. With only 132 hp, the car is pretty quick. I haven't had any problems with this car and I plan to own it all the way to 200,000 miles! My only complaints are that it leaks oil, and the brakes stink, but upgrade them and it shouldn't be that big of deal. I love my Neon!

Dont get it!
By samantha on 01/13/05 19:10 PM (PST)

1995 Dodge Neon Sedan Sport 4dr Sedan

I purchased it with 60000 miles, and after 7k miles it needed a head gasket and tires. The floor in the back always leaks, and in the winter the floor on the INSIDE freezes along with the trunk. I had to scrap the inside of the winsheild instead of the outside. The heat takes forever to kick in, and the paint started to chip.

It's A Great Little Car
By Paul on 12/29/04 20:36 PM (PST)

1995 Dodge Neon Sedan Sport 4dr Sedan

I bought my 95 Neon sport with 17k miles in 1995 and it now has 200,000 miles. I replaced the timing belt twice as well as a water pump and O2 sensor and nothing else. I am still driving with the original clutch. Of course I did tune ups, brake jobs and performed basic maintance. The car has been one of the most reliable cars I've owned and has always been a blast to drive. I would not however recommend the automatic. I don't understand why this car has such a poor resale value and poor reputation. It certainly exceeded my expectations in every way.

TURDMOBILE
By smug1 on 08/17/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Dodge Neon Sedan Sport 4dr Sedan

This car is a TURD. . . Shakes Rattles & Rolls along the road. I bought it for basic trans for work. Paid 2K for it with 47K miles. Every two weeks I have to add 2-3 quarts of oil, it's quite embarassing. Somehow this car manages to start & drive me at anytime anywhere. I've driven this car hard for 8 months & 20K miles and It's been pretty reliable.

Ain't worth the money
By Hawk on 08/15/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Dodge Neon Sedan Sport 4dr Sedan

well, I bought this car with 103000 miles, big mistake. I should have not gotten american I4 with that manys on it. It was OK at first. Then one thing happened after another. First had to replace 2 O2 sensors ($150 each). Then back drums went out($250). then all 3 engine mounts went out ($450 all replaced). I heard from a Dealer's parts department "Neons don't last after 100,000 miles. Stupidest car dodge has made in a long time." so now I think I'm goin to go get what seems the best I4 out there, Honda Civc