Used 1995 Dodge Neon Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1995 Dodge Neon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Neon model:

Overall a good experience
By bigrobotalligator

1995 Dodge Neon 4dr Sedan

When I purchasee this vehicle in 1998 it had about 80,000 km on it. overall through the years I feel it held up quite well. It did have some repairs done but not the flurry of them one frequently sees in reviews for it, maybe I just got lucky. However in my case this car did not age well, at around 220,000 km or so, it turned into a money pit and I ended up selling it for parts. Still I got 6 pretty good years out of it and feel it was a worthwhile purchase. Parts are also fairly cheap.

The handling was really nice, it was a smooth comfortable ride!

Build it for longevity. I may be biased on this now, but I currently drive a 91 Toyota Camry at just over 370,000 km and it's still puttering along.

Better Than I Expected!!!!
By daddyblue

1995 Dodge Neon 4dr Sedan

I bought my '95 Neon in Dec. of 2008, Since then, except for routine tune- ups, I haven't had one problem out of the car that I bought for 300.00. I have been to out of state 17 times in the past 6 months on business, the car has helped me make almost a quarter million dollars, and she is still ticking. So now i'm going to return the favor a let someone buy the car for 300 dollars.

Gas mileage, tough engine.

Suspension, suspension, suspension!!! Does not feel good when your riding on a bumpy road. Feels like your riding on the ground.

360,000 miles on engine!
By Rabbit

1995 Dodge Neon 4dr Sedan

My Dodge Neon's engine came from another that was in a roll-over accident, so the engine currently has about 360k on it and still running strong. (updated head gaskets as soon as it started acting up) It's amazing how it gets the mileage of a pile of junk Ford Escort but the comfort and smooth ride of an Intrepid. Overall, a beautiful car. Just be sure if you buy one, it's got updated head gaskets. That's the only problem I've had.

The amount of power and quick acceleration time for such a small engine.

dodge, you should have updated the head gaskets as soon as you learned their bad.. stop slacking..

Love it but minor problems stink
By nate

1995 Dodge Neon 4dr Sedan

I've owned the car for about 4 months now and there are several problems that have driven me crazy trying to fix. All the seals on the windows are shot. My backseat carpet is constantly soaked. Reverse stalling.. sometimes in reverse the thing stalls. Struts gave out after 1 big bump! Annoying stereo setup (maybe not factory.. not sure about this) What I liked about this car. Very reliable. Nice gas mileage. Easy to fix. Fun to drive (especially on straightaways) Very good oil consumption...about 1/2 a quart every month keeps it at nice levels even with me beating the crap out of it. No broken lines yet. such as the brake, gas, or any others

Better seals, and the rest of my problems are most likely from the person I bought it from

Not that great of a car
By james

1995 Dodge Neon 4dr Sedan

I bought my Neon with somewhere around 62,000 miles, which at the time seemed great. But the car leaked massive amounts of oil, and the speedometer broke and would come on and off while driving(so my Neon still has around 62,000 miles). The longer I had the Neon the worse the problems got. Often on the freeway ramp the car will take a long time to shift into a higher gear, forcing me to merge with free way traffic at 45mph. I've taken mine to the shop to repace 02 sensor, head gasket, and just recently the wiring to the computer. I have had the Neon die on me while driving in traffic a number of times (which is both embarrassing and scary). I am done with Neons, they require too much up keep.

The car is so compact you can park anywhere! Great when looking for a parking spot in a crowded downtown area. But that should not be the deciding factor in buying a Neon. Great parallel parking ability should not sway a person to own a Neon.

Fix the head gasket, 02 sensor, and computer. Neons are completely inconsistet! Some people tell stories of driving Nons for 200,00 miles with no problems, and then there are Neons like mine; a prayer in the morning is the only thing keeping my car from dying on me in the middle of freeway traffic.