Best Dodge of Its Time
By DougNDO on
1990 Dodge Monaco ES 4dr Sedan
When I got my red 1990 Monaco ES, it was a fabulous sedan. Everything was powered, including both front seats and the antenna. The MSRP was high at over $20k, but slow sales led to hefty rebates and discounts, which made the car a steal at under $16k. This car is really a Renault sedan, and was the last Renault in the states as part of chrysler's obligation to Renault when it purchase AMC. Parts are a bit pricy, but fortunately few have been needed. With proper care, this car carried on though many a MI winter without a hitch, and it took many cross country trips in the heat of summer with no disappointments.
Favorite Features
This car has a lot of cool features, including subtle but sophisticated mechanical touches. The best thing about it is the premium stereo, which is the best factory stereo I ever heard. It's the only car I've had in the last 30 years that I haven't changed the stereo in.
Suggested Improvements
This car needs a more reliable water pump. I've replaced it twice. Also, it really should have airbags instead of motorized shoulder belts. Finally, there seems to be an electrical glitch that affects the front running lights, but not the headlights or turn signals. It's annoying.