Used 1990 Dodge Monaco Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1990 Dodge Monaco - Consumer Reviews

1990 Dodge Monaco

View reviews for a specific Monaco model:

A real sleeper
By masondr

1990 Dodge Monaco ES 4dr Sedan

Best overall combo ofcomfort and handling of any car I have ever driven. Bought mine used 8 years ago for almost nothing, and currently have 160000 miles on it. Extremely reliable, but has a few quirks which are minor if you understand them , and potentially major if you don't. These have killed the reputation, but also result in a great used car buy for the informed if you can still find one.

Favorite Features

Driving comfort and handling. Reliability and easy maintenance if you or your mechanic know the car.

Suggested Improvements

NA since no longer made. Would be happy to share experience with any current owners left. Masondr19@yahoo.com

Best Dodge of Its Time
By DougNDO

1990 Dodge Monaco ES 4dr Sedan

When I got my red 1990 Monaco ES, it was a fabulous sedan. Everything was powered, including both front seats and the antenna. The MSRP was high at over $20k, but slow sales led to hefty rebates and discounts, which made the car a steal at under $16k. This car is really a Renault sedan, and was the last Renault in the states as part of chrysler's obligation to Renault when it purchase AMC. Parts are a bit pricy, but fortunately few have been needed. With proper care, this car carried on though many a MI winter without a hitch, and it took many cross country trips in the heat of summer with no disappointments.

Favorite Features

This car has a lot of cool features, including subtle but sophisticated mechanical touches. The best thing about it is the premium stereo, which is the best factory stereo I ever heard. It's the only car I've had in the last 30 years that I haven't changed the stereo in.

Suggested Improvements

This car needs a more reliable water pump. I've replaced it twice. Also, it really should have airbags instead of motorized shoulder belts. Finally, there seems to be an electrical glitch that affects the front running lights, but not the headlights or turn signals. It's annoying.