2005 Dodge Magnum RT Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Dodge Magnum - Consumer Reviews

2005 Magnum Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Magnum model:

Sort Reviews by

5th and LAST Chrysler Corp. product
By brass2

2005 Dodge Magnum Wagon RT Rwd 4dr Wagon (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

Initially, I loved this car but honestly how many of all the cars that have ever been made are terrible from day one. There are so many problems, that have nothing to do with operator error, like the windows regulator, headlights that either don't work or flicker and a shifter lever that was made so cheaply that apparently it is just short of recall, the list goes on and on. This car had so much potential, but the shoddy (and overpaid at $75 an hour) workmanship along with inferior parts combine to outweigh any positives or potential for greatness this car had.

Favorite Features

I love the dichotomy of the wagon and a big engine which make it such a perfect sleeper. The styling is typical Dodge, you either love it or hate it and I happen to love the styling.

Suggested Improvements

Just like Lada, Chrysler needs the government to stay afloat. The reason for that is the products have continually gone downhill since Iacocca left. Of course this is not the first time that Chrysler needed a bailout, so it should be no surprise that they would have fallen back in to their old ways when the one strong person they had, left. As much work as this vehicle appears to need work in the foreseeable future, I wouldn't be shocked if the whole company gets scuttled and then no parts would be available to keep it on the road.

Me and my Magnum
By jwdugar

2005 Dodge Magnum Wagon RT Rwd 4dr Wagon (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

It was love at 1st sight. If a station wagon & the bat mobile had a child it would be the Dodge Magnum. Here I am 6 years & 100k miles later and all I love is marred because the car is made w/rubber and plastic screws. I never neglected maintenance and upkeep. Now the dash vents have come "unattached" to the dash, the toggle for the navigation controls has untoggled and to fix it I have to replace the entire radio system. The front carpet detaches, the rear vent blows sometimes, the undercarriage screws, being plastic have worn out and the under carriage "plate," also made of plastic has split at the screw holes and has to be replaced. Not a good long term vehicle.

Favorite Features

Very comfortable ride, great pick up and speed, wonderful cargo and storage space. Very quiet.

Suggested Improvements

Get rid of the plastic, all of it. Full size spare! Rear window could be let down. Add more rear air vents with independent controls. Add backup and park assist. Did I mention get rid of all the plastic. Build the car as if your mother was buying it and only bought a new car every 10 years. Build it as if resale value mattered to the dealer as well as the buyer. Build it as if you wanted consumers to know that buying American made cars was a good idea.

I love my Magnum
By donnakay

2005 Dodge Magnum Wagon RT Rwd 4dr Wagon (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

Grandma, me, had to have the Hemi. I was a little apprehensive at first. I have not had one problem with the 5 year old car. Lots of Power, looks sharp, handles well, doesn't overheat like my Camaro did. A/C is cold, power windows work well and don't leak. Very comfortable family car. I have driven it to Idaho twice now. 11 hour trip each way. No problems. I would definitely buy again.

Favorite Features

Looks, Power, comfort.

Suggested Improvements

The cup holders could stand improvement, and the visor clips are both broke.

Magnum RT - - Almost perfect
By Rex

2005 Dodge Magnum Wagon RT Rwd 4dr Wagon (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

Purchased Nov. 2004 -- the only car I have ever bought new off the lot. The car would be perfect if not for the slush-box tranny. Factory Contis were junk -- 13K miles. Replaced with Goodyear Assurance which are nearing their end at 40K mi. Have Michelin replacements. Issues: front-end clunk at steering extreme limits (I avoid cranking to the limits), alignment twice, popping noise in dash, unreliable rear window regulator, noisy power steering pump (even after replacement). I gather front-end issues are common. Overall, I have been pleased, but really wish there had been a manual tranny option.

Favorite Features

Styling. Power. Space. Comfort.

Suggested Improvements

My first Mopar vehicle. Acceptable experience. It's a shame Dodge stopped production. I would have strongly urged a manual tranny option. Other minor issues aren't insurmountable.

Mixed bad
By overland

2005 Dodge Magnum Wagon RT Rwd 4dr Wagon (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

Good power and looks with adequate cargo room. Better than expected fuel mileage - 27 highway and 19 highway city. Several annoying electrical problems - rear windows failed intermittently, wipers had glitches, and constant dash rattles that started at 20k miles. Handling is so so for a big and heavy car - no corner carver. Bland but functional interior.

Favorite Features

Power and style

Suggested Improvements

Better quality control.

Hard to justify trading it in
By veblenesque

2005 Dodge Magnum Wagon RT Rwd 4dr Wagon (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

I normally keep new cars for about 3 years, and I'm pushing 3.5 on my Magnum RT. However, nothing new I test drive measures up to this car. First, the Mercedes E-class chassis means the car has an excellent combination of performance and comfort (not a typical muscle car). The engine is as strong now as the day I bought it, with surprising torque that makes it feel faster than smaller V8s (Audi S4, Mustang etc.). Has had no problems other than poor stock tires and rotors, and feels solidly built. I'd highly recommend it as a used car since values have dropped - they will likely depreciate little if you buy one now. If you test drive one, you will buy it.

Favorite Features

That's easy - the engine. Perfect combination of American muscle and European ride quality.

Suggested Improvements

I miss having a manual transmission, but the Mercedes-sourced auto is amazing. The SatNav is useless - a $1,500 option and I end up using a Garmin.

2005 Dodge Magnum RT
By B.Wilcox

2005 Dodge Magnum Wagon RT Rwd 4dr Wagon (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

Overall its been a good car for me. Does not do well in the snow, I park the car in the winter and drive an suv. I love the sporty and strong look of the car. Although it may not look like it from the outside the back seat is very comfortable and has plenty of room.

Favorite Features

My favorite thing has gotta be the HEMI!

Suggested Improvements

If the car lost some weight it would be awesome. Say take it from 4,200 lbs down to 3,500. Its already fast for what it is, if it lost some weight it would be amazing.

Great looking, fast, fun and comfortable
By noj

2005 Dodge Magnum Wagon RT Rwd 4dr Wagon (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

The Magnum is an relatively amazing. It does haul, stuff inside, trailers, and ... It gets great gas mileage, 18 city/24 hwy MPG, for such a big vehicle with so much horsepower. You can take it to the drag strip and run the 1/4 mile anywhere from just under 14 to 14.3 at around 97 MPH stock or run it on a road course. 4 people can easily ride comfortably, 5 if needed. People frequently compliment the car when I am out.

Favorite Features

The HEMI with all that power, the great looks. It is very flexible and can be used for a wide variety of tasks, both work and fun. With the towing package it will pull up to 3800 lbs. Would definitely buy another one. (used of course, since they no longer make them)

Suggested Improvements

Although it is a great performer, it could loose a few hundred pounds and jump into awesome while adding a mile per gallon or two. (not supercar performance obviously)

Nice
By Rocked

2005 Dodge Magnum Wagon RT Rwd 4dr Wagon (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

Great Car. Bought new in '05 and have had no problems. Outstanding performance with 340 HP and 390 tourque. Car still gets attention and favorable comments. Most surprising is gas mileage with MDS. Average MPG for life of vehicle is 20+.

Favorite Features

Power, interior, exterior styling, great sound system and very utilitarian.

This is not your family wagon
By pfeiffer

2005 Dodge Magnum Wagon RT Rwd 4dr Wagon (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

I purchased the Magnum with 1500 miles on the odo. It is loaded. Tarted the boring dash up a bit and put a K7N air intake on it. I have thoroughly enjoyed the car. It drives great accelerates like mad and sounds like and old school muscle car. Only two issues sent it to the shop: rear hatch struts failed and the sat/nav joystick went dead. Minor issues that were replaced under warranty. My dealer, New Century Dodge in Paola, KS, is the best. Only two complaints: The stock tires (Continentals) were terrible. lated 10,00 miles. Class Action suit pending. Sice Crysler tanked, my resale value took a dive. I'm glad I don't want to sell it. Too bad they pulled the plug on this car. It's Classic.

Favorite Features

Hemi, Seats, Sat/Vav

Suggested Improvements

Transmission. It is a bit lame.