Used 2005 Dodge Magnum RT Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Dodge Magnum - Consumer Reviews

2005 Dodge Magnum

View reviews for a specific Magnum model:

Most Helpful|
I love my Magnum
By donnakay

2005 Dodge Magnum RT Rwd 4dr Wagon (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

Grandma, me, had to have the Hemi. I was a little apprehensive at first. I have not had one problem with the 5 year old car. Lots of Power, looks sharp, handles well, doesn't overheat like my Camaro did. A/C is cold, power windows work well and don't leak. Very comfortable family car. I have driven it to Idaho twice now. 11 hour trip each way. No problems. I would definitely buy again.

Favorite Features

Looks, Power, comfort.

Suggested Improvements

The cup holders could stand improvement, and the visor clips are both broke.

Mixed bad
By overland

2005 Dodge Magnum RT Rwd 4dr Wagon (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

Good power and looks with adequate cargo room. Better than expected fuel mileage - 27 highway and 19 highway city. Several annoying electrical problems - rear windows failed intermittently, wipers had glitches, and constant dash rattles that started at 20k miles. Handling is so so for a big and heavy car - no corner carver. Bland but functional interior.

Favorite Features

Power and style

Suggested Improvements

Better quality control.

Magnum RT - - Almost perfect
By Rex

2005 Dodge Magnum RT Rwd 4dr Wagon (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

Purchased Nov. 2004 -- the only car I have ever bought new off the lot. The car would be perfect if not for the slush-box tranny. Factory Contis were junk -- 13K miles. Replaced with Goodyear Assurance which are nearing their end at 40K mi. Have Michelin replacements. Issues: front-end clunk at steering extreme limits (I avoid cranking to the limits), alignment twice, popping noise in dash, unreliable rear window regulator, noisy power steering pump (even after replacement). I gather front-end issues are common. Overall, I have been pleased, but really wish there had been a manual tranny option.

Favorite Features

Styling. Power. Space. Comfort.

Suggested Improvements

My first Mopar vehicle. Acceptable experience. It's a shame Dodge stopped production. I would have strongly urged a manual tranny option. Other minor issues aren't insurmountable.

Me and my Magnum
By jwdugar

2005 Dodge Magnum RT Rwd 4dr Wagon (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

It was love at 1st sight. If a station wagon & the bat mobile had a child it would be the Dodge Magnum. Here I am 6 years & 100k miles later and all I love is marred because the car is made w/rubber and plastic screws. I never neglected maintenance and upkeep. Now the dash vents have come "unattached" to the dash, the toggle for the navigation controls has untoggled and to fix it I have to replace the entire radio system. The front carpet detaches, the rear vent blows sometimes, the undercarriage screws, being plastic have worn out and the under carriage "plate," also made of plastic has split at the screw holes and has to be replaced. Not a good long term vehicle.

Favorite Features

Very comfortable ride, great pick up and speed, wonderful cargo and storage space. Very quiet.

Suggested Improvements

Get rid of the plastic, all of it. Full size spare! Rear window could be let down. Add more rear air vents with independent controls. Add backup and park assist. Did I mention get rid of all the plastic. Build the car as if your mother was buying it and only bought a new car every 10 years. Build it as if resale value mattered to the dealer as well as the buyer. Build it as if you wanted consumers to know that buying American made cars was a good idea.

5th and LAST Chrysler Corp. product
By brass2

2005 Dodge Magnum RT Rwd 4dr Wagon (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

Initially, I loved this car but honestly how many of all the cars that have ever been made are terrible from day one. There are so many problems, that have nothing to do with operator error, like the windows regulator, headlights that either don't work or flicker and a shifter lever that was made so cheaply that apparently it is just short of recall, the list goes on and on. This car had so much potential, but the shoddy (and overpaid at $75 an hour) workmanship along with inferior parts combine to outweigh any positives or potential for greatness this car had.

Favorite Features

I love the dichotomy of the wagon and a big engine which make it such a perfect sleeper. The styling is typical Dodge, you either love it or hate it and I happen to love the styling.

Suggested Improvements

Just like Lada, Chrysler needs the government to stay afloat. The reason for that is the products have continually gone downhill since Iacocca left. Of course this is not the first time that Chrysler needed a bailout, so it should be no surprise that they would have fallen back in to their old ways when the one strong person they had, left. As much work as this vehicle appears to need work in the foreseeable future, I wouldn't be shocked if the whole company gets scuttled and then no parts would be available to keep it on the road.