Used 2013 Dodge Journey SUV Consumer Reviews - 15 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Dodge Journey SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Journey model:

best value for money
By mario jayasuriya

2013 Dodge Journey SUV SXT 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Fantastic car and even better value
By Natedb

2013 Dodge Journey SUV SE 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Bought a 2013 American Value Package new. Have owned for 3+ years and put about 55k miles on.

Car has been fantastic. It is used by my wife to haul kiddos around and it has plenty of room and can take the abuse that kids can cause.

Was the most affordable vehicle on the market. Other than normal maintenance, we have only had one trip to the dealer which was a minor issue covered under warranty

Trendy SUV on a budget
By Reinhardt v.

2013 Dodge Journey SUV SE 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

My wife and I were at the dealer looking to buy a specific 2013 Grand Cherokee. The one we were looking at was out for a test drive, and I saw this grey sporty looking Journey SXT with black rims and all around tints. I saw the engine size being 2.4L, but also realized the purchase price was much lower than the GC we were looking at, plus it had several more technology features and we live in the city so engine size is not a huge factor. We decided to give the car a go and seeing how we desperately need to get a replacement for our Grand Prix GTP and also considering how we enjoyed the ride, we decided to buy it.

Exterior is tough and sporty. We got side swiped by a truck and not a dent was left. Everyone comments on how sporty our car looks and I've even had friends with faster cars than me say they wouldn't want to race me. The 2.4L comes with a single exhaust, which kills the sporty look. The headlights, fog lights, and front all give the car a mean edge. When you turn the lights on, it starts with the fog lights and then the headlights. Trims are nice, rims are black. Brakes are disc brakes, but I do wish they added caliper caps to even out the car. It seems that Dodge needed to get an SXT out fast and unfortunately missed out on some details that kills the mood. I'm glad they only make the SXT's in 3.6 now.

Interior is nice. Cloth seats, leather on door and middle glove compartment. Plastic all around. Instrumentation contains revs and speed, with a middle computer screen to view the basic diagnostics of the car. Steering wheel is the size to fit the bigger body and keep you from blocking the odometer. The Uconnect 8.4 is a nice feature to the car. My only complaint is when it gets cold, the touchscreen stops working. In terms of space, there is enough leg room for all the passengers to spread out. I like the extra storage in all the random places, and also the canopy that covers the back.

The drive is comfy. If you've ever driven in Chicago, you will notice all the potholes. You feel them, but barely. I never feel out of control with the vehicle. I have been able to drive hours on end and my passengers have all seemed to be comfortable the whole way. The sporty suspension gives for a lower ride, and allows more control in rough conditions. This is a front-wheel drive, and I've been able to maintain my composure with the car when other cars were sliding in snowy conditions.

The only downside of this car is the engine. I do wish we had the 3.6, but at the time I couldn't justify spending an extra 4 grand. Looking back, it probably wouldn't have been a bad deal. My reasoning is that even though I live in the city, the smaller engine makes it extremely difficult to accelerate the weight of the car. This leads to worse fuel efficiency, which I've seen get down to 12 mpg. Not what I expected from a 2.4 at first. On the highway, I've been able to get up to 30mpg and I go at least 400 miles without refilling. Even though engine size at higher speeds is nice, acceleration is lackluster. The car pulls away at higher revs, but struggles on the lower revs. Having come from a GP GTP that had a supercharger, it is a struggle trying to speed up on the expressway. I have made due and learned my lesson on buying a smaller engine size. The engine size is not a deal breaker for me though and I will love to keep this car for several more years.

TOO many problems
By James Robert-Massaro

2013 Dodge Journey SUV SXT 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

From the first day I have had problems in and out of service radio,alarm,remote start,and the TRANSMISSON has never worked right bangs, shifts terrible awd does not work right and what do you say when all you hear is the comp.doesn't show anything even though I have driven this car for 36,000 miles wish me luck filed lemon law and there willing to hear me maybe someone will listen

GET ANOTHER CAR

2013 3.6 L Dodge Journey SXT - about 28,000 km.
By 4_ur_info

2013 Dodge Journey SUV SXT 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

On June 1, 2014, was getting off a highway onto a ramp, stepped on brakes to slow down to ramp speed limit and then the brakes locked suddenly, and the vehicle came to an abrupt halt with the ignition still running. As expected everyone in the vehicle lurched forward. What a major scare! Have not had another incident since then. Have limited confidence in the vehicle now and am not willing to take it on long distance trips.