2012 Dodge Journey American Value Package SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Dodge Journey - Consumer Reviews

2012 Journey Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Journey model:

Sort Reviews by

I think i got the lemon
By Nicholas Burke

2012 Dodge Journey SUV R/T 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I purchased my Dodge journey used, it hat 29,000KM on it in march of 2013. Since then it's been to the shop more times than I can count. The transmission has been rebuilt twice, had two gears replaced, all seals replaced in the front axle, rear axle and rear dif. The front bearings have been replaced both left and right. Radio, power steering pump, and reservoir have been replaced. It's currently in for an exhaust leak. There is only 66,000KM on the car, it's not even 4 years old yet. In service date is November of 2011. I still have issues with the transmission hard shifting or just not finding the right gear to be in.

Favorite Features

Handles Amazing, great in the rain, corners, acceleration all of it. Such a great vehicle to drive. Not too bad on gas, as long as you don't have a lead foot..unfortunately i do. I really enjoy driving it, and if it wasn't for all the problems I've had i would be keeping it, however the warranty is up soon and I've started shopping for something different.

Suggested Improvements

Drop the 6spd transmission or work out the kinks, there is something with with the timing of the shifting and the monitoring of what gear is appropriate for the current situation. Adjust the mirrors to provide better viewing, perhaps add the curved mirror to the corners as an added safety feature like to see on most ford vehicles now.

Its a Lemon!!!!
By court90

2012 Dodge Journey SUV SXT 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

In June of 2014 I bought the used 2012 Dodge Journey with 24,000 miles on it I thought it would be great. I had a 2009 Kia Spectra that was starting to have problems and I wanted an SUV Chrisler were the only ones to take me with my credit so I bought this car. within 1 week of having it the breaks were bad they got replaced then it started having a strut problem so I took it back. they keep putting new things in it to stop the noise but it hasn't helped. The car goes back to the dealership everyweek its there more then I have it. Finally this week has been the last straw they don't know whats wrong with it so tomorrow I am going there and they are taking it back either way!! dissatisfied!!!

Favorite Features

its nice and roomy and comfortable but with all the problems wrong with it its not worth the money at all!!! that is why it is going back tomorrow either way I don't want it anymore!!!!

Extended Warranty 3.6L 2011-2013 Journey to 10yr 150,000 miles on left cylinder head
By vadogwood

2012 Dodge Journey SUV SXT 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Last week my check engine light came on. We coded it to find it was due to a misfire. The following day we received this letter with this information. The problem is not only the Journey but also Grand Cherokee, Durango, Minivan, 200, Avenger, Journey, 300, Charger, Challenger and/or Wrangler from 2011-2013. This is the letter in summary: 3.6L ENGINE LEFT CYLINDER HEAD EXTENDED WARRANTY This letter is to inform you that the warranty period (5 years or 100,000 miles) on the 3.6 engine left Cylinder head on select vehicles has been extended to 10 years or 150,000 miles. Contact Chrysler Customer Assistance Center: PO Box 21-8004: Auburn Hills, MI 48321-8004. or call 1-800-423-6343.

update from dec 2012
By dipstick5

2012 Dodge Journey SUV SXT 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

have driven 3.6 L sxt fwd 6 spd auto to Wisconsin and Michigan attaining 28 to 30 mpg. gas mileage averaging 21 all around city/highway. almost 6000 miles on odometer without any complaints. adding a Mopar backup camera system sometime in future to improve safety when in reverse.

Wasted our money on this car
By tparktrash

2012 Dodge Journey SUV SXT 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Journey with 5900 miles has been in the Dodge shop four times this month due to oil seapage from the transaxle output seal and differential cover. Back in the shop this morning due to likely leakage from the output seal on the passenger side. Last month it was the BCM that needed replacement. Dealership has been accomodating but this issue needs to be corrected.

Vibration in the rear end
By dodgejourney

2012 Dodge Journey SUV SXT 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

We have a 2012 dodge journey bought it December 2012 we have at it at the shop 7+ times with a vibration in the rear end. If anyone can have someone drive them ride in the back and you will feel it. Starts around 40 and gets worse around 46. They don't want to fix it. So please if you have this problem go to dodge and complain. They have gave us the run around. If we can get a case against them then let's do it. We have drove a 2010, 2012, and 2013 they all do it. Time for them to have a recall.

Favorite Features

Nothing

Suggested Improvements

Everything.

sxt fwd 3.6 6 speed auto
By dipstick5

2012 Dodge Journey SUV SXT 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

bought car last month and love it! quiet smooth ride with plenty of power when needed. not a grocery getter but a highway cruiser capable of towing 2500 lbs. great features inside especially the 8" screen for sat radio / climate control, LED interior lighting. went 100 miles in the rain yesterday and was really impressed with the handling and control of the road conditions while getting almost 30 MPG on the highway. after driving this car i would never consider honda or toyota again; dodge did a great job building this car!

Favorite Features

3rd row seating folds flat in the floor when not needed, 2nd row backs recline and climate control for 2nd/3rd row. interior LED lighting is gorgeous, 8.4" screen for sat radio/ climate controls. plenty of storage w/ two bins in 2nd row floor. can tow 2500 lbs and plenty of power for highway driving.

Best Blend of Performance and Size
By lightaddict08

2012 Dodge Journey SUV Crew 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

2012 3.6L Crew AWD w/Heated Seats. Although I do work for Chrysler I found the Journey to be the best choice for my lifestyle. As a young adult I was looking for something sporty, but cargo space was a must after my previous coupe. Looking for a blend of fuel economy, performance, and interior space the 3.6L AWD Journey fit the bill perfectly. Coming from a 5.7L F-Body I was very pleased with the acceleration and handling the Journey offered with much better fuel economy. Additionally I am now able to fit a whole bedroom furniture set in the back. The dynamics of the vehicle hold the tires firm to the ground even in the tightest turns. Overall I am very pleased with the vehicle.

Favorite Features

The customization of the vehicle in regards to the controls is extremely nice. Customizing how long the radio stays on after key-off, the headlights auto-on with wipers, and the automatic heated seat on startup under 40 Deg F are a few of the many customizations you can program using the 8.4" radio screen. The 3.6L engine puts out plenty of torque, enough to make certain you can merge onto the freeway, yet efficient enough to get nearly 26mpg highway. The storage options are amazing through the Journey including under-seat front passengers pocket, two coolers mounted at the foot of the middle seats, and the folding front passenger and middle row seats. I opted out of the rear seating.

Suggested Improvements

The only suggestion I have for improvement is the vehicle vibration during acceleration. After researching I have found this to be the torque converter lockup. The previous improvements of the interior have had great success in my eyes: very user friendly and luxurious.

A different perspective
By mitomom

2012 Dodge Journey SUV SXT 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I am a mother with a child with a life threatening disease. I traded in my Grand Caravan for a 2012 Journey and love it. I honestly hated the owning a minivan (even with ALL the options we had). The only downside to the Journey is lack of TVs, which is easily fixed with her Ipad and her portable DVD player. The wheelchair fits wonderfully in the back with the 3rd row folded down. The emegency medical supplies fit perfectly in the storage area in the back. I drive to our local children's hospital 2-3 times a week (40 miles one way) and our mpg is averaging 21.5. The interior is beautiful. The details are great!

Favorite Features

The cargo space, Sirius, the exterior, the amenities and the gas milage.

Suggested Improvements

Making GPS standard on all Journey models.

Best value in America
By mikeyinthed

2012 Dodge Journey SUV SXT 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I got a great deal on my 2012 Dodge Journey after the $4,500 in rebates currently offered. This is the best value in America. Great gas mileage for the size of the vehicle, good performace from the 3.6L engine, quiet, smooth, refined interior compared to Chrysler products from the past, exterior styling offers some spice to a bland category. There is nothing I would change about my Journey. The Safe & Sound package is a must on the SXT models. It adds the rear parking sensors, rear camera, and the 8.4" screen. The screen is amazing and the interface with Apple products is my favorite feature. The other options I added was the 19" wheels and the perferred package.

Favorite Features

8.4" radio Read parking camera Exterior styling Soft-touch interior materials

Suggested Improvements

None