Starting Problems w/ 2011 Journey
By jjm001 on
2011 Dodge Journey Crew 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)
Bought new on Feb 28th 2011, had problems with the battery being dead most mornings within 2 weeks. 1st trip to garage-said it was defective battery & replaced. Then a week later, same thing again. Information screen will start flashing, lights flash, won't start, and loud pulsating noises from battery area. In the garage for a week and a half, can't find any problem. Then today, battery not dead but vehicle will not start again. It attempts to but won't. Had it towed to dealer for 3rd service trip. Dodge says this is our problem not theirs. Dealer refuses to give us any loaner vehicle. Have been treated poorly by everyone! Have owned many Dodge vehicles & this is the last!
Favorite Features
Love the interior and feel it is the best in its class. We love everything about this vehicle, we just wish it would run. Very concerned about the reliability now and feel we have a lemon. Trying to get Dodge to buy it back but they have yet to return my calls. Dealership has been no help at all.
Suggested Improvements
Make a car that will start! In case anyone is wondering, this is a Crew model with the 8'' touchscreen and push button start.
By bilbirk
on 05/12/11 06:28 AM (PDT)

I'm coming in late on this but I bet the problem with your car is the same I had with mine, Things started acting up and the Dealership found it right away. These have a problem with the wiring harness that passes through the doors. They tend to get pinched and it could be hard to find. The only reason my Dealer found it was because the mechanic had just came from a class covering this problem

By bamgirl
on 05/31/11 04:22 AM (PDT)

I have owned my 2011 Journey for 7 days, and having issues with DEAD Battery. When we tried to start it, the Information Panel flashed on and off (in a lauguage - other than english) the Wipers moved slowly across the front Windsheild and stopped in the Upright position. The Battery was making a loud clicking noise. I contacted the dealership, and they are sending a tow truck out today.

By dwyne
on 07/18/11 19:58 PM (PDT)

LOOK UNDER FORUMS AT allpar. com. Took me a moment to find it but the posts are worth it.

By duckyellow
on 07/30/11 17:35 PM (PDT)

Was ready to pull the trigger on one of these myself. But this is yet another issue I've found doing research. UNtil they fix everyones problem I will not buy one. Weird thing is I see them on the used lots with very low K. Have to wonder why. I do not see any Honda, Nissan etc newer than 2009 and only the odd one at that. Buy every lot has 3-4 Journeys 2009 - 2010.

By mmcgaw
on 06/18/12 16:01 PM (PDT)

@journeylover, I'm having the same issue with my Journey and it is currently at the dealer being worked on, do you know what it was that had to be reset on the radio. My dealer cant figure out what is causing the battery to die. Thanks

By ginger27
on 05/27/11 10:04 AM (PDT)

well we're having the same issue... so someone's lying to you. Maybe the cold weather. We are currently driving around with something connected to the computer in the car which is supposed to track what modules are on and when. The same idea behind what you say. The modules are to come on then go off. So we have our car and I am trying to replicate how i was using it. I never actually use the key fob i have it in my bag and let the car detect it to open the doors. In the winter i was auto starting with the key from the house... and i have been turning on the seat heaters.. we'll keep you posted. we just got it back with this data logger connected on Wednesday.

By jjm001
on 06/29/11 18:01 PM (PDT)

Our Crew does NOT have the navigation system. Our battery was replaced the first time in the garage and two days later the battery was dead again. I assure you that Chrysler is aware of this problem, as we have contacted them, as well as our dealership has spoken with a Chrysler Engineer all five times it has been in the garage. Our dealership has also insisted that no one else is having this problem. Based on our experiences, we feel no one is telling the truth. All I can say at this time, without going into further detail, make sure you get all documentation each time it is in the garage. Video tape and take pictures if necessary. If you are uncomfortable with keeping this car, as it is unreliable, check into your states lemon law and contact a firm specifically dealing with the lemon law. Many will not charge if you do not get a settlement, nor will they take a case if they do not feel that it qualifies. This problem does qualify, even if they cannot find the problem every time your car is in the garage despite what DODGE says. I will keep you updated on our vehicle.

By dwyne
on 07/18/11 11:54 AM (PDT)

ALL NEWS TO MY DEALER. "MIGHT HAVE LEFT AN INTERIOR LIGHT ON" WAS ALL I GOT MORE TONIGHT, THANKS SENSORG

By smitgj
on 07/28/11 03:01 AM (PDT)

So at my dealer, they replaced a door module that they claim was coming on and off and draining battery. We had noticed things like doors unlocked in morning when we knew we locked them, and climate settings were different when we would start vehicle. They replaced this switch the beginning of July and we haven't had an issue yet. I actually had Chrysler Canada take one off the line at assembly plant because they were back ordered as a part to dealer. Apparently they were having issues with these modules and part numbers changed a few times so there was confusion as to which part number was the right one. My wife plugged her phone in to charge the other day and everything was wiped off the phone, and we also used the USB for music and it wiped everything off that , not sure if those are related to the issue or not. Very frustrating!!

By jouneylover
on 05/02/12 20:11 PM (PDT)

This was an easy fix for us in Canada, its the way that the radio is set up and all they have to do is plug it in to the computer and reset one little thing. Took 15 minutes to fix it and they had me out the door.

By smitgj
on 06/26/11 14:25 PM (PDT)

We purchased a new 2011 Dodge Journey Crew on May 31 and last weekend on June 19 we experienced a dead battery. We had the vehicle boosted and everything was fine until yesterday June 25. I had it towed to the dealership as it was. Our Crew has the large screen, push button start and navigation. I spoke to someone today who has the same but without the navigation. Does everyone that experienced this issue have navigation? Has there been a resolution to the issue yet?

By sensibleorg
on 07/16/11 14:15 PM (PDT)

I am another person who is having the same problems with my 2011 Dodge Journey. With just 2,000 miles we awoke to a dead battery. Was doing the strange clicking. Had is jumped and took it to the dealer. They found nothing wrong with it. Then about 1,500 miles later it was dead again. This time the clicking wouldn't stop, the alarm was going off (I tried to remote start it) and everything was in German. Had it jumped and took it to the dealer. They said they cleared some codes and that it should be fine. Of course at this point I had read this forum and wasn't confident. Awoke today to a completely dead car. Coudn't even get in with out using emergeny key. Called for jump but it wouldn't hold once the ground clamp was taken off. Called for tow truck and it is now on it's way to the dealer. I will post the results when I get them. Hopefully Monday.

By dwyne
on 07/26/11 14:05 PM (PDT)

Journey continues to start with bright lights in the morning [RRT 11 055]. The noises we are hearing are a normal function of the heater/ AC system. Whats alarming from my experiance and research is the lack of skill and knowledge on the service side of the compny. Also I was sold a car needing a major modification , sent down the road on a prayer.

By jjm001
on 11/28/11 15:45 PM (PST)

We started the Lemon Law proceedings one month after we purchased the vehicle and finally had this giant lemon taken back in November for a FULL REFUND. I know they say they "fixed" the problem of the dead battery, but this is one giant headache that we didn't want to deal with anymore. Funny how they denied that there was a problem and claimed I was leaving the lights on, but settled with us without much of a fight. Not to mention all five times it had to be loaded on to the flat bed, the front of the vehicle dragged on our drive way causing the front to be scratched. Chrysler customer service and the dealership were the most awful people I have ever had to deal with. I replaced my Journey with a 2012 Kia Sorento. Good riddence to the most expensive lemon I have ever owned.

By dwyne
on 07/18/11 08:19 AM (PDT)

Journey in garage awaiting tow, 300 miles, totally dead battery. Has there been any answers to this issue?

By bobo28
on 04/25/11 09:02 AM (PDT)

you are not alone i have the same problem it happen to me just after three days

By ginger27
on 05/31/11 05:21 AM (PDT)

So far ours is still running. waiting for some module to drain the battery. we have the crew model with the 8" touch screen and push button start.

By ginger27
on 05/24/11 06:24 AM (PDT)

sorry me again... have you talked to Chrysler ?

By dwyne
on 07/20/11 14:37 PM (PDT)

Dealer seemed confident RRT was the fix. Was driven to work. Driver called to report that with nothing switched on a noise -- like a CD drive-- would startup and shut down . Might be back at dealer tomorrow. My jump guy knew what he was doing and gave up when it was not working.

By kelliegirl
on 07/18/11 11:31 AM (PDT)

Bought my Journey Crew w 8.4 inch screen June 20. June 28th w 252 miles, battery wouldn't turn starter over, needed jump. July 18th w 800 miles battery completely dead. Again called for roadside assistance, after several attempts, car started with a jump. Car is once again @ dealer... frustrating! Should have seen it coming as over the weekend the computer did not recognize my cell phone and my climate settings changed on their own.

By dwyne
on 08/30/11 18:16 PM (PDT)

Our Journey is still going good, full charge everytime.[RRT055]

By bobadilla
on 09/20/11 19:37 PM (PDT)

I to have had this problem with the battery going dead after 12 hours of sitting,,, shareing the same frustration as everyone here on the board,,, taking the vehicle to the shop and having no answers as to why??? I continued to search the forums and found one where a dealer in Canada found that that the battery drain is coming from the radio frequency hub module,,, hello controls your FOB,,, Solution turn off the passive entry,,, when the FOB is stored in the proximity of the car, the passive entry stays on waiting for a command and never recieves it,,, its been 2 months now since my last visit to the dealer and running just fine since I've turned off the passive entry... TURN OFF PASSIVE ENTRY

By dwyne
on 03/08/12 06:44 AM (PST)

Journey with dead battery again. Had oil changed at dealership two weeks ago with two RRT's performed. Got it back with a new battery and TSB on the BCM yesterday. 3,800 miles

By sensibleorg
on 07/18/11 11:06 AM (PDT)

Mine is being worked on today. This morning they told me there were three rapid response items to be fixed one being a software update. I read on another forum this might be the problem. I hope so!

By mtsmile
on 06/10/11 22:42 PM (PDT)

I was considering this car but after reading this am pretty sure I will not buy. All of you who are really unhappy should look into Lemon Laws. It has been over 10 years ago but I bought a grand caravan that I had issues with. I took the dealership into Arbitration and I won and they had to buy back the van. I don't know what the laws are now but back then if the vehicle had been in for repair for the same problem at least 3 times it qualified. I am also reminded of how little concern Chrysler showed when I got in touch with them. They said it was a problem with the dealer....so deal with it. If I can take them on and win anyone can. Just don't let them bully you...because the people at that dealership tried. It got ugly but I knew I was right. LOOK INTO LEMON LAWS! New cars cost to much for you to be stuck with one you are having that much trouble with.

By sensibleorg
on 07/20/11 08:45 AM (PDT)

That will be great. I look forward to hear what they say. My only problem now is that when Chrysler Road Side jumped my car the other day they hooked it up wrong and fried my engine wires. Now I am without my car for awhile. Thankfully I have a rental but I hope this won't cause me to have problems in the future. Needless to say the dealer was horrified when I told them it was Chrysler Road Side. I will never call them for a jump again only tows.

By buns
on 09/06/11 18:42 PM (PDT)

We too are in the same predicament. We bought our 2011 Dodge Journey Crew in March and we have had nothing but headaches with it thus far. I have gotten up in the morning at least 7 times to find a dead vehicle. Actually the lights and beeping and all other things seem to start but the actual vehicle itself. We call for a boost and it starts right up but the tow truck takes an hour each time to come. I've actually gone out and bought a portable booster just in case I get stranded somewhere at night while I'm alone. (now that's sad!) I'm actually bringing it back tomorrow and I've told them they can keep the damn thing until they figure it out!! The vehicle also makes strange noises that seem to be coming from somewhere in the dash?? Almost like the computer is doing something while the vehicle is off. Also the computer screen will go on and then off on it's own while the vehicle is off?? Now the latest is my satellite radio has been malfunctioning for the past 5 days. I've had enough!! If this problem isn't resolved I will NEVER buy a Dodge again!!! Oh and you can't buy 19" snow tires for it!!

By yesitstrue
on 07/15/11 09:54 AM (PDT)

I SOOOOO NEED TO ADD TO THIS! So this same situation happened to me as well. I had a 2010 Dodge Journey RT. I took it to the dealership several times and i was lucky enough to recieve a loaner car. I am also lucky enough to be able to get out of this vehicle!! i was looking into maybe the 2011 crew but after reading the reviews i guess i cant! there is a recall now so look out for it. Good Luck everyone and make sure you video tape your situations. i did and it helps

By lucky007
on 08/10/11 08:15 AM (PDT)

Help is on the way people!!!! Dodge now admits to having a problem with the journey! They have to write a new computer program for the car. I have been contacted by Dodge and they are workin on the3 problem. They gave me a rental car, (paid for bt Dodge Detroit Division) to use til my Journey can be fixed.

By raychel2561
on 08/18/11 20:07 PM (PDT)

Purchased my 2011 Dodge Journey last November. It wz used with 25,000 miles. In June started having problems with the car not wanting to start. Seems like a dead battery but radio, AC, lights, etc all work fine except car won't crank, just click when the key is turned. First time it happened my neighbor tried to give me aq boost but car still wouldn't start. Finally it started after I kept trying it. When I took it to the dealership next day, I was told it might be the starter going out or the wheelchair lift on back of car might be causing a problem. I wasn't satisfied with that diagnosis so I spoke to the shop manager who said it might be the key cause they've had a lot of problems with those keys. One thing I do know is that it's not the wheelchair lift because I had it removed 2 weeks ago. Today, I just spent 30 minutes this evening trying to start the car. Finally got it started. I decided to do a search on the internet to see if anyone else was having this problem and wow. One thing's for certain, this is my 5th and last Dodge. I'm taking it back to dealership tomorrow. Glad I found this sight and won't take their lies for an answer when I get there tomorrow. I'm a single woman on a fixed income and cannot afford to be shafted or taken advantage of, cannot afford to keep being late for work taking car in for this continously. Thanks for the info on the Lemon laws.

By annie67
on 05/22/13 07:24 AM (PDT)

I bought my 2011 Journey (Crew) new in October 2011. It began having these same problems starting January 2013. It happens once a week or more. When you push to start, everything but the engine comes on (lights, radio, windows, and a/c). The dealership flashed the module you all spoke of (twice), tightened wire 57, and replaced the ABS module. It still does it. We turned off the passive entry and it still happens. The dealer put a copilot on the vehicle to record the errors because when it is towed up there or we take it, no errors show up. The copilot only recorded "dead battery" but when testing the battery it showed charged. Has anyone had a SUCCESSFUL resolution on this...I am getting nowhere. The dealership says bring it up here and we will look at it again but if we can't recreate the problem then we can't fix it. Chrysler says that if the dealership can't find a problem then nothing is wrong. We are just over 36,000 but were not when the problems began. So frustrating!! Any help is appreciated.

By jjm001
on 05/22/11 17:24 PM (PDT)

Well our dealer has still not found the problem. In fact, the Journey has been to two seperate Dodge dealerships and is currently in the garage for the 5th time for this problem. We had to get it towed the last few times. The battery has not been dead but it won't start, but something is draining the battery. Has happened about every other week on average. Dodge still insists there is nothing wrong with it simply because they cannot find the problem. I'm not sure what we are going to do but we have a totally unreliable car. I hope other people out there do not have to deal with this same problem, but it sounds like we may not be the only ones.

By jjm001
on 05/26/11 19:34 PM (PDT)

Yes we have talked to Chrysler but they are unwilling to help. They say that since the dealer cannot find the problem, there must not be anything wrong with it. We just got the car back yesterday from the 5th repair attempt but they still don't know what is wrong with it. They had thought that a module may be turning on by itself but they could not get this to happen at the dealership. According to the dealer, no one else has had any starting problems with the 2011 Journey, from what they were told by Dodge but I don't believe it. The problem seemed to happen more often back when we had colder weather, although I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it or not. We live in Pennsylvania.

By dwyne
on 07/19/11 16:03 PM (PDT)

Dealer seemed confident that RRT 11 055 will solve battery discharging. Requested Dodge contact me directly with RRT info.

By lenac
on 11/15/11 17:31 PM (PST)

WE BOUHGT A 2011 DODGE JOURNEY CREW AND WE HAVE BEEN HAVING THE SAME ISSUES WITH IT .THIS IS THE FOURTH TIME ITS BEEN IN THE SHOP .THEY NEED TO RECALL ALL THESES JOURNEYS . NOTHING LIKE BUYING A NEW VEHICLE AND HAVING TO WALK.

By jjm001
on 06/01/11 16:58 PM (PDT)

Yes, we also have experienced the information screen in a different language, the hazard lights flashing, the car alarm sounding, the clicking noises from the battery, and a temperature reading of negative 40 degrees. We are fortunate to have this ALL on video so there is no doubt about our credibility. It has been towed twice, and in the garage five times. I hope you have better luck at the dealerships than we have had. So far, there has been nothing replaced other than the battery during the first trip. Every time they return the vehicle to us, they say they can not reproduce the problem. I think we all have the Crew Model with the 8" touch screen and push button start, correct?

By hedway
on 06/29/11 08:43 AM (PDT)

I purchased a 2011 Dodge journey in February 2011. Within a month I experienced the same problem. Came out of work and when I tried to start the vehicle it did the wipers moved across the windshield, the lights blinked and the language on all my screens when to German ... Had only 1200 miles on it. Had it jump started and drove to dealer. After 2 days they could not locate problem and said there was nothing they could do.... One month later I came out to start the vehicle in my garage and was completely dead. Had it jumped again and drove to dealer. Dealer had it for 2 days and again could not find problem. Told me batter was fully charged and unless they were able to replicate the problem they could not fix it. Very frustrating as vehicle only had 3200 miles on it at this point. I have th LUX version with the Navigation. I told the service mgr about all the other posts on here with the same or similar problems and he blew it off saying it wasn't true. Said he goes by what Chyrsler has recorded and they have no other complaints like mine. Service manager has since called me back to say he has made a formal complaint into Chrysler to log this problem?? He says the dealer techs have to report it to Chyrsler for it to get logged??? So for all you other folks out there perhaps we can insist our dealers file a complaint with Chyrsler so these instances get logged and perhaps something will be done about them. I have suggested to my dealer to look at the WIN module as many others have reported and even suggested replacing the battery but dealer refuses to replace anything w/out being able to find a problem. I have 5600 now on the car and have not had an issue yet with it stalling out yet since last month. However, I recently had an hitch installed and that wiring won't work. So back to the dealer I go...

By ginger27
on 05/24/11 06:23 AM (PDT)

Hi there jjm001... you are not alone... maybe there are more like this. The dealership still has our car.. we're working on 4 weeks now. They tell us that some module is draining the battery. are you in canada?

By superolds
on 08/16/11 12:51 PM (PDT)

Please read the 2nd comment that I've posted under ' Lucky007 ' dated 8/8/2011 good luck.

By dwyne
on 10/13/11 09:21 AM (PDT)

Our Journey continues to operate as advertised. [rrt 11 055].

By bobo28
on 04/23/11 05:32 AM (PDT)

you are not alone , i to bought the 2011 journey and i have the same problem .

By ginger27
on 04/27/11 19:20 PM (PDT)

so here's the thing... new 2011 journey Crew.. 4 days new car won't start.. battery won't hold a charge. at the dealership for 4 days and then they tell me the radio is draining the battery. Got the car back and after 3 weeks the key fob won't work (yesterday) and then today the car won't start again. so the dealership offers me a rental car but i have to pick it up before 6pm.. impossible.. then they tell me I can have a courtesy vehicle.. so i go to pick up the courtesy vehicle and they want me to sign that i am responsible for a $5000.00 deductible.. really unbelievable.. seriously where are the cameras? oh but wait I can use my current insurance but of course to do that i need to call my broker.. right did i mention it's 7pm.. what a joke... i'm in canada and doing lots of reading on CAMVAP and seriously thinking this is where I will be heading.

By dwyne
on 07/18/11 19:43 PM (PDT)

All I got was 1 RRT from service manager. They worked that and will check battery condition in the morning. My salesman got me a loaner at no charge. Hope he survives. More tomorrow. Found a site with more technical info a allpar.com. One item was a radio module tht turned itself back on[ TSB#08-17-11]

By raychel2561
on 08/18/11 20:08 PM (PDT)

Sorry it is a 2010 Journey and bought it November 2010.

By ilevy
on 10/05/12 07:10 AM (PDT)

We purchased the 2011 Dodge Journey R/T in March of 2011. We have not had any issues until recently. My wife went out to start the vehicle and it wouldn't start. There was plenty of juice in the battery but when she pressed the ignition button nothing. The break pedal was noticeably stiff and would not push down. Had the vehicle towed to the dealership. A few hours later they told me that they checked the vehicle and couldn't find anything wrong with it. I was told it started for the service tech( but not for my wife or the tow truck driver?). When I went to pick it up I noticed on the service document the service tech stated he removed the power sources, I guess effectively resetting ??? The same exact issue 1.5 weeks later, and once again the dealership could not find anything. No codes, no history codes, nothing. I guess they think I have a fetish with tow trucks. 2 days ago I went put gas in the vehicle, yes I'm driving it because my wife wants nothing to do with it, and when I pulled up to the pump. I turned off the vehicle, got out and notice the pump was out of service. Got back in the vehicle, depressed the break and pushed the button but nothing. Lights went haywire, the break pedal became stiff and I was screwed. I had read that playing with the shifter may work, so I did but nothing. I kept trying to push the start button and pressing the break pedal for a few minutes. Then I pressed the start button on its own while moving the shifter and it just started(sorry but wtf). Has anyone else experienced anything like this. It seems Chrysler is trying to bury an obvious ignition problem. It seems that the dealerships do very little with investigating this issue. So back to the dealership today to be told I'm crazy.