Used 2011 Dodge Journey SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Dodge Journey - Consumer Reviews

2011 Dodge Journey SUV

View reviews for a specific Journey model:

78K and still no problems
By journeyguy

2011 Dodge Journey SUV Mainstreet 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I bought my Journey brand new in 2011. This vehicle has been great so far. I too have had some of the same issues that I see here. Had to replace tires at 30k this is not unusual do your research all manufacturers put cheap tires on new cars. I did replace all 4 brake pads and rotors at about 50k n new problems. This vehicle is comfortable, safe and affordable I would recommend one to anyone. I cant wait to get another one in 2 years....

Favorite Features

Power of the V6 engine. Large display for radio.

Glad I leased it
By checkfirst

2011 Dodge Journey SUV Lux 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Worst vehicle I've operated. I am only happy I leased it and didn't have to keep it. Bad news was I broke my lease early because it was in the shop for major repairs too often, LEMON. New brakes and rotors after 9500 miles, really. Check engine light twice came on for camshaft issues, really. The last and final time before trading it in was it lost one of the cylinders...REALLY! Too many major problems for this SUV as well as the poor fit and finish of exterior panels. Cut my finger on the rear door edge plate. I had to sand it smooth so not to do it again. Traded after only 28 months and less than 23,000 miles. Very happy w/my new 2013 Toyota Rav4.

Favorite Features

Interior design and looks.

Suggested Improvements

Improve quality control at the factory. After my problems and the other reviews it is apparent this vehicle has major issues and many of them are the same. Hopefully they corrected these issues with the 2012 and 2013 models.

Dodge Journey Nightmare
By journeyjunker

2011 Dodge Journey SUV Mainstreet 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Three visits to install trailer hitch. Four visits to fiX sound system (replaced) 5/20/12 - 14,500 miles brake rotors warped - replaced at cost to me of $50. after contacting Chrysler to complain. July 2012 - Slow leak in sidewall of cheap tires after rotation at dealer. Cannot be repaired. Front tires scalloped. 4 new tires = $800. January 2013 - Check engine light on - Cylinder head replaced. February 2013 - Check engine light on - Re-program powertrain control module. May 2013 - Check engine light on - Oil pump on back order. Brake rotors warping again.

Favorite Features

None

Suggested Improvements

Stop selling this piece of junk. I'm trading it in a taking a huge $$$ loss for a vehicle that isn't in the shop every 2 months.

Attitude of it's own
By badcarday1

2011 Dodge Journey SUV Mainstreet 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

The car in general is the perfect car for my family. Unfoutunatly the last month, the Front passenger door refuses to close. I believe it is the cold weather causing something to freeze up and cause a died door syndrom. After about 20-30 minutes the door "resets" itself. It has been to the dealer four times now and they dont understand what is wrong. They have contacted a Dodge engineer, they did what he instructed and it agian is acting up. Just about feed up, rather riduculous that I have to have my seven year old hold the door as I hold him to get this thing to the shop 20 miles away, for no one to know what the problem is. I can not be alone on this one, am I?

Favorite Features

Interior space and interior design

2011 Journey AWD - Sixth Chrysler/Dodge Vehicle is a Disaster
By michiganmom

2011 Dodge Journey SUV Crew 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I admit, I made the mistake of trading in an 08 Chrysler Aspen with no problems (60,000 miles) for the 2011 Journey AWD in the hopes of better gas mileage. DUMB!!! Gas Mileage: 12 avg. mpg in the city & 15.8 avg. mpg on the hwy. Sound System: Broken CD player, stations change when traveling over a bump, no sound due to poor wiring located under passenger seat. OE Tires: Worn pre-maturely, Over $1000.00 to replace on a lease, unusual size & hard to find. Remote keys and push button start not communicating - car would not start Constant brake noise and grinding after 100 miles. Accelerator stopped working while driving 70 on a hwy - car died on hwy with kids in the vehicle. Lemon??

Favorite Features

Dashboard - all instruments are easy to reach and understand. Love the U-connect when not being temperamental. Comfortable seating. Fun to drive!! Sporty appearance. Third row seat is a definite asset but can only accommodate small children. Push button start is wonderful when working especially for people who might have arthritis in their hands. I prefer the overall looks of the Journey vs. other cars in it's class. Easy to get in and out of vehicle...overall goo comfort.

Suggested Improvements

Improve the gas mileage!!! Better interior cloth options where stitching does not unravel. More tire options!!!! Better OE tires and warranty Improve overall safety of the vehicle by adding higher quality parts - audio, electrical, transmission, brakes etc... Improve the third row seating. Moving the entire second row manually is extremely difficult. Might consider a second row option that will lie flat.