Used 2011 Dodge Journey Crew Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Dodge Journey - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Journey model:

Same issues
By iwrkhrd2

2011 Dodge Journey Crew 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I have a 2011 Journey purchased in July 2011, its in teh shop for the 5th time. I havent had the dead battery issue but I've had most everything else. I think the car get scared to be alone. You get out of it and lock the doors and it fights with you blowing the horm and unlocking the door usually 3-6 times. You get in the car to start it and if you wait long enough the dash lights will start to go from bright to dim and then back and forth. The HVAC system will sometimes turn everything on high and set the temps at 84 degrees when you start the car but then the next time when you shut the car off it wont turn the HVAC system off until you open the door.

Havent found any yet except for the key less operation, its very handy when you come out of your office with your hands full.

Poor Head Restraint Design blocks rear window
By joel72

2011 Dodge Journey Crew 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

After delivery of the Journey, I began noticing poor design issues that affected comfort and efficient use of interior space. However, my main concern was focused on a "safety" issue. The very large second row 'Head Restraints' prevented a driver from having a good and safe view of traffic from the rear window. After a week or so, I removed these 'Head Restraints'... and driving immediately became much easier and less stressful. It was now easier to see other cars in heavy traffic. It was easier when backing up. However, people in the second row would not have head protection. I eventually noticed that similar vehicle designed by other manufactures were designed with a much lower 'Head Restraint'... like the RAVA-4 for example. An automotive shop here in Charlotte said they could reduce the size of the 10" head restraints to 4"... so they would be similar to those in the other vehicles. The price for both would be $500. This absolutely had to be done. Because this is an important "safety issue", Chrysler Customer Service was contacted for reimbursement of the 'Head Restraint' alteration. Basically, they told me that I need to contact the Dealer (Keffer Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep)... and then "Keffer" would tell me that "Chrysler" should do this. This went back and forth a number of times. Eventually Chrysler Customer Service said that neither the manufacturer nor the dealer can have any part in this alteration for 'legal liability reasons'. Yet at the same time both Chrysler and Keffer agreed that what I was asking for made a lot of good sense. And at the same time similar vehicles from other manufactures, such as the RAVA-4, had head restraints similar to what I needed for my Journey. All this was very frustrating, insensitive, illogical... and very wrong to a loyal Chrysler customer. To get the 2011 Dodge Journey, I traded in my 1994 Plymouth Grand Voyager which I had kept in great condition. In many ways, it was a very enjoyable, useful and comfortable car. I expected the Dodge Journey to be at least as satisfying. This has not been my experience... and Chrysler does not seem to care much about efficient design, comfort, safety... or satisfying customers anymore. I am sorry I bought the Journey. I would not recommend this vehicle to anyone.

1. Second row head restraints that are the same height as the center head restraint. This will allow good rear windo vision. 2. Front row head restraints angle too far forward... verh uncomfortable. 3. Front windshield angles too far forward. Wasted interior space... difficult to clean. 4. No comfortable way for drivers to stretch out their left leg. Point pressure on left foot is very irritating.

Who woulda thunk it?
By bigskeptic

2011 Dodge Journey Crew 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I have a good friend who sells Dodge and Jeep vehicles, and I have wanted to buy a car from him for years. Unfortunately, I have not been enamored with the vehicles in the Dodge/Jeep stable for a long time. But after reading a review of the 2011 Dodge Journey, I decided to take a courtesy test drive before buying an Equinox, RAV 4 or Versa. Wow...an Everyman's Lexus. I bought one and am thrilled with everything but the mediocre gas mileage (an unfortunate trait of the entire segment). My Journey is simply a great car. Period.

UConnect, 1-year Sirius, remote starter/access, quiet ride, awesome sound system, handling

Allow navigation input while in motion; remote rear hatch release