2009 Dodge Journey SE SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Dodge Journey - Consumer Reviews

2009 Journey Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Journey model:

Sort Reviews by

Brakes and Peeling Paint
By Frustrated

2009 Dodge Journey SUV SXT 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I also had to replace brakes. I am also having the issue with peeling paint on the rear view mirrors now. Of all the cars I have purchased in my life this is the worst experience with a car I have had. I will no longer purchase Chrysler products based on my experience with this car. I was a loyal Chrysler customer prior to this experience. Chrysler refuses to do anything about the issues.

Dodge Journey
By Dodge sucks

2009 Dodge Journey SUV SXT 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I also have they same complaint as everyone else does. I bought this car because it looked like a nice family car with the 3rd row seats. I purchased it 6 mos. ago and absolutely hate it! The air conditioner smells like toxic glue, The breaks squeal took it to a break shops,they said that Dodge puts cheap breaks on their cars and I need new pads. Air conditioner is making a rattling sound along with suspension problems every time I hit a bump it grunts. Just yesterday my car would not move into gear it just froze and would not budge. I never owned a Dodge until now and never again! I think they made this car just to keep the auto mechanics busy. Dodge you lost my business and respect.

Favorite Features

the look of the body,but the parts on it are put on with plastic bolts

Suggested Improvements

recall this car it's just plain awful.

Exhausted!
By kristy

2009 Dodge Journey SUV SXT 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I have had to take my Journey back to the dealership SEVEN times for brakes/rotors. It is currently there as we speak. they are running tests to see what I am doing to the car? What the heck? I am not doing ANYTHING to the darn car! It is a piece of junk! Chrysler should really do a recall and help the owners get out of the car! I am not satisfied at all!! I have had 3 cases open with Chrysler and they will not do anything to help! I will NEVER again buy a Chrysler!! AC issues, alarm going off for no reason (and you can not make it stop)..they say they cant find the problem! Really? The problem is this car is not worth all of the headache it is causing!

Suggested Improvements

Recall! Come on Dodge do something to help the consumers out!

Should of bought a Ford
By 2009 Dodge Journey R

2009 Dodge Journey SUV R/T 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I have had nothing but problems with my Journey. It shakes when I stop. I had to have new rotors at 10,000 miles now at 20,000 its doing the same thing. The front end makes loud noises when I back out of my driveway. About once a week everything in the car shuts down and I have to restart it. It makes a humming noise when in idol. I am so tired of taking it to the dealer. I asked them if others have had problems and they tell me no. Someone told me it was one of the first Journey's off of the assembly line and thats why I'm having so many problems. I have 21,000 miles on it and I want to get rid of it. "My Dodge Journey is a LEMON!"

Journey Problems
By buddyrelihan

2009 Dodge Journey SUV SXT 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Front brakes & rotors replaced @34k (not covered by warranty), both visor mirror covers broken & replaced (warranty), now having problems with transmission. Vehicle hesitates & skips. Dealer said it was normal for the electronic tranny to perform this way. My dealer closed & am now using another dealer. I have not received any recalls from Chrysler or the dealer but I'm sure there have been some.

Brakes, Brakes, and More Brakes!
By Vampi

2009 Dodge Journey SUV SXT 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

This is another issue with brakes. Replaced front brakes at 9500 miles and told that was normal. Now again at 12,500 miles, plus back brakes. Need front rotors replaced as well. Biggest concern is there was no warning, brakes were completely gone, and no noise from the wheels, twice now. Dealer cant figure out why, but will comp our front brakes. Wont offer much in trade either. Seat stains will not come out of the fabric they use, even with stain guard applied.

Favorite Features

Love Nav system and fold down seating.

Suggested Improvements

recall breaks before someone dies

Lemon!
By mcbrown

2009 Dodge Journey SUV SXT 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

We've been driving this for 14 months. We have replaced tires, brakes, door lock, etc. Had an Explorer before and loved it, but had transmission issue. I'd take the transmission issues over this one any day of the week! Do not buy this car! Do not buy tires from the dealers, they will not help you if you have a blowout before you've put 200 miles on it. I've complained to the dealer about my brakes since about 3 months after purchase. Was told there were no issues, it was a new car and would take some time to wear in. Surprisingly, after 1 year, they told me that the brake pads were gone and needed to be replaced and that the rotors had damage as well. Will never buy Dodge again!

Favorite Features

None!

Suggested Improvements

Start with brakes and rotors that don't need to be replaced every 6 to 12 months. I would say scrap this design and try again!

Need a Brake recall
By Patricia Kinion

2009 Dodge Journey SUV SXT 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

The front brakes on the 2009 Dodge Journey needed new pads and the rotors turned at 14,422 miles. After reading the other reviews, I realize that this cars will need this service on both front and back brakes every 14,000- 20,000 miles because of the design of the brakes. It is ridiculous. Chrysler should redesign the brakes and have a recall. I filed a complaint with www.nhtsa.com and Chrysler Corp. and I asking every other Journey owner with this problem to do the same. "The squeaky wheel gets the most grease" No pun intended.

Favorite Features

Body style.

Suggested Improvements

Redesign brake system. May have other comments after we have owned the car for a longer period of time. We will not buy another Chrysler product if they do not stand behind their product.

Tear tear, cry cry.
By Vladsly

2009 Dodge Journey SUV SXT 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

2/5*. Not a very good car. I worked at a company where they gave out company cars and it was either this or a Ford Taurus X. So I tested both and the Dodge went better. Well, after 50,000 KM, The brakes had problems. The quality of the car is very bad. The armrest in the back is just plain ugly and isn't comfortable and if you put up the 3rd row of seats, you can't fit a bread in. Now at my new job, this is the only car they are giving so now I have 2 journeys in my garage. My new one still has the fresh car smell (1900 KM's) and I am already starting to have problems. VERY BAD. DON'T BUY. Now I can't wait to sell it and buy something good.

Favorite Features

Good looking car but not too good on the performance side.

Suggested Improvements

Not good Quality. I can actually push in the dashboard.

Body problems
By H.shirk

2009 Dodge Journey SUV R/T 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

The car is an ok deal for the money. However, there is absolutely no acceleration at all unless you have the pedal to the medal. Lots of brake and rotor problems. The mirrors on the visors have both broken due to the heat in the summer. Seriously needs a recall. Took months to fix the passenger side and now waiting for the driver side to come in stock. Caution* Do not look in the mirror until the car has completely cooled down. That takes about 30 minutes or more by the way and then you will be freezing to death. Guess I would rather freeze than leave part of my rear melted to the seat.

Suggested Improvements

Body work mirrors, etc. Could use some more get up and go. Different tires. For an economical inexpensive SUV, you sure got the consumer on the only tire that size being over $238.00 per tire. Oh and you can just leave air in the tires no one has the tank for the other.