Used 2009 Dodge Journey SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Dodge Journey - Consumer Reviews

2009 Dodge Journey SUV

View reviews for a specific Journey model:

Journey To Hell
By journeytohell

2009 Dodge Journey SUV SXT 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

My "2009" Journey was a beautiful show room car and thats all the good I can say about it. This car is a LEMON! New rotors and brakes every 10,000 miles. Won't start 3 times a week. Every time I turn the wheel I have this loud grinding noise like the wheels are going to fall off but, don't bother taking it in to the dealer because they will have it for days and then tell you they have no clue whats wrong and now that the warrenty is up they don't care if it's an exsisting problem or not, your S.O.L. My advise don't buy a Dodge......

Favorite Features

Style of car, looks good.

Suggested Improvements

Visiblity, brakes everything!

Leaves me stranded with two kids
By shellwagg

2009 Dodge Journey SUV SXT 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I bought my Journey in March 2009. I had no problems for about a year but I did not put many miles on it that first year. Then I had the brake problems like everyone else. Here is my big problem. Sometimes my car just wont start. I had the battery replaced and all was well for about a month. Now it has started up again. I got stuck at the mall last night. Also, we have had a leak in our raditor hose. My car almost over heated not too long ago. We used that stuff the clogs the hose and it has held so far. Anyone have any problems like this?

PLEASE DO NOT PURCHASE THIS VEHICLE
By strat1163

2009 Dodge Journey SUV SXT 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Purchased a 2009 Journey new in June 2009. Since this time I have had never ending problems with this vehicle, and I am NOT exaggerating. Here is a list of what was wrong with it: 6/2009: Air conditioning stopped working and needed system replaced. 9/09: developed a water leak causing mold in interior and rusty seat frames. 10/9 Both vanity mirrors broke. 1/10 water leak returned and at this point car smelled like a musty wet dog. Dealer "fixed" again 6/10: Transmission went and needed replaced. 3/11 Both exterior mirror paint was peeling: were painted. Both exhaust tips were rusting badly and exhaust was replaced. But dealer installed new exhaust with bent tips. cont.....

Favorite Features

The order for new exhaust took 10 weeks but they finally replaced it correctly. In 6/11, brakes needed replaced with only 19,000 miles and they are recalled on this model. Dealer replaced but according to other Journey owners the replacement pads wear out sooner than the originals. And there is also a recall on some of the steering components.........So, I finally had it with this vehicle and I traded it in for a beautiful import. Took a considerable loss BC this vehicle didn't hold its value but I was OK with this fact. I didn't want to wait until after the warranty was up. Overall, the 3 things I liked about this car was the storage space, 7 passenger cap, and pickup.

Suggested Improvements

I have owned Mopar vehicles my entire life including a HEMI cuda, GTX 440, a dart 383 and an 04 srt 4. I never had any problems with these at all, but this vehicle was such a disappointment. In the past 5-6 years Dodge and Chrysler have neglected the build quality, fit and finish and reliability of their vehicles. I had issues also with my wife's 06 caravan and so we traded it in for this piece of junk. I will never ever buy another new domestic car ever again. Chrysler, GM and ford should just shut their doors b/c people are not going to buy unreliable gunk anymore. The car industry is super competitive. I traded my junk journey for a 2010 nissan Altima and very happy so far!!

Do not purchase this vehicle - 2009 - 4 Cyclinder Model
By barry_72

2009 Dodge Journey SUV SE 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Brakes are horrible. Just after 12k miles, front brakes had to be replaced. I replaced with Autozone pads (lifetime warranty) and those lasted for another 20k miles better than the mopar's. I'm on my 3rd set of brakes using Autozone pads which offer free replacements. Rear brakes had to be replaced at 38k miles. I've never had a car in which the rear brakes had to be addressed before 100k miles. Don't let Chrysler touch your brakes. $30 for your first pair of Autozone brand and they last longer with LIFETIME warranty even with normal wear. Chrysler will just put the same sub standard parts on your car for replacement that you'll have to pay dearly to replace.

Favorite Features

Interior design. Size. Style. (Had to replace the sun glasses drop down storage and fix the rear seat's center console since the plastic molding broke off.

Suggested Improvements

Chrysler should take ownership when their mechanical design is less than other makes/models. Interior has a nice design but terrible quality. Brakes are the worst I've experienced on any car. Why in the world would you have to replace your battery from under the driver side wheel well? Battery placement is a horrible design idea.

Journey Front Brakes are Faulty.
By chris_baker13

2009 Dodge Journey SUV SXT 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I have had my Journey for about a year now and my brakes keep failing. I have had the rotors resurfaced many times and replaced brake pads and yet I only have 39,000 miles on it and its a 2009. I think there is something worong with the design or engineering of the setup.

Favorite Features

THe D/C, A/C power converter.

Suggested Improvements

Back to the drawing board on the brakes and preventive maintinance or the transmission need atleast a dip stick to prevent damage.