Used 2009 Dodge Journey SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Dodge Journey SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Journey model:

My wonderful P.O.S.
By smalerie

2009 Dodge Journey SUV SXT 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

First my car was in the shop about 13 months after I bought it. March 2010 for the recall of the drivers side switch for the windows. A month later we noticed there was a foul smell. It got so bad it made me sick and any passenger. Turning recycled air on was the only way to get rid of it. My AWD transfer unit was leaking onto the exhaust! Covered under warranty no! $300 later brought it home. 5 days later stranded on a hill AWD unit had dislodged itself. They wanted $1,500 to fix. Called customer service and dropped it to $500. It was a manufacture defect but they wouldn't come out and say it. Changed brakes after begining of summer last year need to again. Windows stopped working again!

Seating, Storage and space.

My opinion of dodge journey SXT is don't buy it. It's not reliable!

Journey To Hell
By journeytohell

2009 Dodge Journey SUV SXT 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

My "2009" Journey was a beautiful show room car and thats all the good I can say about it. This car is a LEMON! New rotors and brakes every 10,000 miles. Won't start 3 times a week. Every time I turn the wheel I have this loud grinding noise like the wheels are going to fall off but, don't bother taking it in to the dealer because they will have it for days and then tell you they have no clue whats wrong and now that the warrenty is up they don't care if it's an exsisting problem or not, your S.O.L. My advise don't buy a Dodge......

Style of car, looks good.

Visiblity, brakes everything!

Leaves me stranded with two kids
By shellwagg

2009 Dodge Journey SUV SXT 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I bought my Journey in March 2009. I had no problems for about a year but I did not put many miles on it that first year. Then I had the brake problems like everyone else. Here is my big problem. Sometimes my car just wont start. I had the battery replaced and all was well for about a month. Now it has started up again. I got stuck at the mall last night. Also, we have had a leak in our raditor hose. My car almost over heated not too long ago. We used that stuff the clogs the hose and it has held so far. Anyone have any problems like this?

PLEASE DO NOT PURCHASE THIS VEHICLE
By strat1163

2009 Dodge Journey SUV SXT 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Purchased a 2009 Journey new in June 2009. Since this time I have had never ending problems with this vehicle, and I am NOT exaggerating. Here is a list of what was wrong with it: 6/2009: Air conditioning stopped working and needed system replaced. 9/09: developed a water leak causing mold in interior and rusty seat frames. 10/9 Both vanity mirrors broke. 1/10 water leak returned and at this point car smelled like a musty wet dog. Dealer "fixed" again 6/10: Transmission went and needed replaced. 3/11 Both exterior mirror paint was peeling: were painted. Both exhaust tips were rusting badly and exhaust was replaced. But dealer installed new exhaust with bent tips. cont.....

The order for new exhaust took 10 weeks but they finally replaced it correctly. In 6/11, brakes needed replaced with only 19,000 miles and they are recalled on this model. Dealer replaced but according to other Journey owners the replacement pads wear out sooner than the originals. And there is also a recall on some of the steering components.........So, I finally had it with this vehicle and I traded it in for a beautiful import. Took a considerable loss BC this vehicle didn't hold its value but I was OK with this fact. I didn't want to wait until after the warranty was up. Overall, the 3 things I liked about this car was the storage space, 7 passenger cap, and pickup.

I have owned Mopar vehicles my entire life including a HEMI cuda, GTX 440, a dart 383 and an 04 srt 4. I never had any problems with these at all, but this vehicle was such a disappointment. In the past 5-6 years Dodge and Chrysler have neglected the build quality, fit and finish and reliability of their vehicles. I had issues also with my wife's 06 caravan and so we traded it in for this piece of junk. I will never ever buy another new domestic car ever again. Chrysler, GM and ford should just shut their doors b/c people are not going to buy unreliable gunk anymore. The car industry is super competitive. I traded my junk journey for a 2010 nissan Altima and very happy so far!!

Do not purchase this vehicle - 2009 - 4 Cyclinder Model
By barry_72

2009 Dodge Journey SUV SE 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Brakes are horrible. Just after 12k miles, front brakes had to be replaced. I replaced with Autozone pads (lifetime warranty) and those lasted for another 20k miles better than the mopar's. I'm on my 3rd set of brakes using Autozone pads which offer free replacements. Rear brakes had to be replaced at 38k miles. I've never had a car in which the rear brakes had to be addressed before 100k miles. Don't let Chrysler touch your brakes. $30 for your first pair of Autozone brand and they last longer with LIFETIME warranty even with normal wear. Chrysler will just put the same sub standard parts on your car for replacement that you'll have to pay dearly to replace.

Interior design. Size. Style. (Had to replace the sun glasses drop down storage and fix the rear seat's center console since the plastic molding broke off.

Chrysler should take ownership when their mechanical design is less than other makes/models. Interior has a nice design but terrible quality. Brakes are the worst I've experienced on any car. Why in the world would you have to replace your battery from under the driver side wheel well? Battery placement is a horrible design idea.