2009 Dodge Journey - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Journey model:
Should of bought a Ford
By 2009 Dodge Journey R on 09/01/10 14:00 PM (PDT)

2009 Dodge Journey R/T 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I have had nothing but problems with my Journey. It shakes when I stop. I had to have new rotors at 10,000 miles now at 20,000 its doing the same thing. The front end makes loud noises when I back out of my driveway. About once a week everything in the car shuts down and I have to restart it. It makes a humming noise when in idol. I am so tired of taking it to the dealer. I asked them if others have had problems and they tell me no. Someone told me it was one of the first Journey's off of the assembly line and thats why I'm having so many problems. I have 21,000 miles on it and I want to get rid of it. "My Dodge Journey is a LEMON!"

Journey Problems
By buddyrelihan on 08/29/10 13:33 PM (PDT)

2009 Dodge Journey SXT 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Front brakes & rotors replaced @34k (not covered by warranty), both visor mirror covers broken & replaced (warranty), now having problems with transmission. Vehicle hesitates & skips. Dealer said it was normal for the electronic tranny to perform this way. My dealer closed & am now using another dealer. I have not received any recalls from Chrysler or the dealer but I'm sure there have been some.

Brakes, Brakes, and More Brakes!
By Vampi on 08/28/10 13:01 PM (PDT)

2009 Dodge Journey SXT 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

This is another issue with brakes. Replaced front brakes at 9500 miles and told that was normal. Now again at 12,500 miles, plus back brakes. Need front rotors replaced as well. Biggest concern is there was no warning, brakes were completely gone, and no noise from the wheels, twice now. Dealer cant figure out why, but will comp our front brakes. Wont offer much in trade either. Seat stains will not come out of the fabric they use, even with stain guard applied.

Lemon!
By mcbrown on 08/27/10 14:39 PM (PDT)

2009 Dodge Journey SXT 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

We've been driving this for 14 months. We have replaced tires, brakes, door lock, etc. Had an Explorer before and loved it, but had transmission issue. I'd take the transmission issues over this one any day of the week! Do not buy this car! Do not buy tires from the dealers, they will not help you if you have a blowout before you've put 200 miles on it. I've complained to the dealer about my brakes since about 3 months after purchase. Was told there were no issues, it was a new car and would take some time to wear in. Surprisingly, after 1 year, they told me that the brake pads were gone and needed to be replaced and that the rotors had damage as well. Will never buy Dodge again!

Need a Brake recall
By Patricia Kinion on 08/26/10 09:22 AM (PDT)

2009 Dodge Journey SXT 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

The front brakes on the 2009 Dodge Journey needed new pads and the rotors turned at 14,422 miles. After reading the other reviews, I realize that this cars will need this service on both front and back brakes every 14,000- 20,000 miles because of the design of the brakes. It is ridiculous. Chrysler should redesign the brakes and have a recall. I filed a complaint with www.nhtsa.com and Chrysler Corp. and I asking every other Journey owner with this problem to do the same. "The squeaky wheel gets the most grease" No pun intended.

Tear tear, cry cry.
By Vladsly on 08/24/10 15:22 PM (PDT)

2009 Dodge Journey SXT 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

2/5*. Not a very good car. I worked at a company where they gave out company cars and it was either this or a Ford Taurus X. So I tested both and the Dodge went better. Well, after 50,000 KM, The brakes had problems. The quality of the car is very bad. The armrest in the back is just plain ugly and isn't comfortable and if you put up the 3rd row of seats, you can't fit a bread in. Now at my new job, this is the only car they are giving so now I have 2 journeys in my garage. My new one still has the fresh car smell (1900 KM's) and I am already starting to have problems. VERY BAD. DON'T BUY. Now I can't wait to sell it and buy something good.

Body problems
By H.shirk on 08/24/10 10:08 AM (PDT)

2009 Dodge Journey R/T 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

The car is an ok deal for the money. However, there is absolutely no acceleration at all unless you have the pedal to the medal. Lots of brake and rotor problems. The mirrors on the visors have both broken due to the heat in the summer. Seriously needs a recall. Took months to fix the passenger side and now waiting for the driver side to come in stock. Caution* Do not look in the mirror until the car has completely cooled down. That takes about 30 minutes or more by the way and then you will be freezing to death. Guess I would rather freeze than leave part of my rear melted to the seat.

"Dodge", the ghost of
By chops29 on 08/23/10 17:23 PM (PDT)

2009 Dodge Journey SXT 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

6 speed trans, "jerky," plastic door handle scratches easy. no heat or air outlet to second row seats. found out that hard ride cause by cheap Chinese tires. .cheap brake pads ,wheels covered with black soot after cleaning two days later. Only thing good is, I bought it for 19,200 out the door including a tire and wheel warranty I should be able to sell it in another year and break even.

Never Again
By Lori on 08/20/10 12:52 PM (PDT)

2009 Dodge Journey SXT 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Bought our lemon 1 yr ago. Problems started right away. Passenger window works when it wants to. Visor covers fell off. Windows go down by themselves. Replaced brakes, rotors & tires at 30,000. Car runs with no lights, air and radio. Had radio replaced. CDs would not eject. Electrical issue too many to mention. Losing power constantly. Hesitating when you pull out from stop sign, very dangerous! But to date our biggest issue with the vehicle is our paint is gone on both sides of the vehicle near bottom of back doors. We are down to bare metal. In fact it is rusting at this point. We are told its an environmental problem and its not covered. Huge chips of paint coming off the car. NEVER AGAIN

Happy with mine!
By Paul B on 08/20/10 04:34 AM (PDT)

2009 Dodge Journey SXT 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I have had this SUV for over 2 years now and love the space and extras (in floor ice chests, AC adapter, Infinity Stereo, storage compartments, rear A/C). The only thing I don't like is the cup holders in the doors because when drinks are put there and you close the door the beverage splashes on the panel. It is a smooth driving vehicle and gets great gas on the highway. I looked at Equinox and felt claustrophobic in it, decided to keep the Journey instead.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Dodge Journey in VA is:

$120 per month*