Used 2009 Dodge Journey Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Dodge Journey - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Journey model:

PLEASE DO NOT PURCHASE THIS VEHICLE
By strat1163

2009 Dodge Journey SXT 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Purchased a 2009 Journey new in June 2009. Since this time I have had never ending problems with this vehicle, and I am NOT exaggerating. Here is a list of what was wrong with it: 6/2009: Air conditioning stopped working and needed system replaced. 9/09: developed a water leak causing mold in interior and rusty seat frames. 10/9 Both vanity mirrors broke. 1/10 water leak returned and at this point car smelled like a musty wet dog. Dealer "fixed" again 6/10: Transmission went and needed replaced. 3/11 Both exterior mirror paint was peeling: were painted. Both exhaust tips were rusting badly and exhaust was replaced. But dealer installed new exhaust with bent tips. cont.....

Favorite Features

The order for new exhaust took 10 weeks but they finally replaced it correctly. In 6/11, brakes needed replaced with only 19,000 miles and they are recalled on this model. Dealer replaced but according to other Journey owners the replacement pads wear out sooner than the originals. And there is also a recall on some of the steering components.........So, I finally had it with this vehicle and I traded it in for a beautiful import. Took a considerable loss BC this vehicle didn't hold its value but I was OK with this fact. I didn't want to wait until after the warranty was up. Overall, the 3 things I liked about this car was the storage space, 7 passenger cap, and pickup.

Suggested Improvements

I have owned Mopar vehicles my entire life including a HEMI cuda, GTX 440, a dart 383 and an 04 srt 4. I never had any problems with these at all, but this vehicle was such a disappointment. In the past 5-6 years Dodge and Chrysler have neglected the build quality, fit and finish and reliability of their vehicles. I had issues also with my wife's 06 caravan and so we traded it in for this piece of junk. I will never ever buy another new domestic car ever again. Chrysler, GM and ford should just shut their doors b/c people are not going to buy unreliable gunk anymore. The car industry is super competitive. I traded my junk journey for a 2010 nissan Altima and very happy so far!!

Do not purchase this vehicle - 2009 - 4 Cyclinder Model
By barry_72

2009 Dodge Journey SE 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Brakes are horrible. Just after 12k miles, front brakes had to be replaced. I replaced with Autozone pads (lifetime warranty) and those lasted for another 20k miles better than the mopar's. I'm on my 3rd set of brakes using Autozone pads which offer free replacements. Rear brakes had to be replaced at 38k miles. I've never had a car in which the rear brakes had to be addressed before 100k miles. Don't let Chrysler touch your brakes. $30 for your first pair of Autozone brand and they last longer with LIFETIME warranty even with normal wear. Chrysler will just put the same sub standard parts on your car for replacement that you'll have to pay dearly to replace.

Favorite Features

Interior design. Size. Style. (Had to replace the sun glasses drop down storage and fix the rear seat's center console since the plastic molding broke off.

Suggested Improvements

Chrysler should take ownership when their mechanical design is less than other makes/models. Interior has a nice design but terrible quality. Brakes are the worst I've experienced on any car. Why in the world would you have to replace your battery from under the driver side wheel well? Battery placement is a horrible design idea.

Journey Front Brakes are Faulty.
By chris_baker13

2009 Dodge Journey SXT 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I have had my Journey for about a year now and my brakes keep failing. I have had the rotors resurfaced many times and replaced brake pads and yet I only have 39,000 miles on it and its a 2009. I think there is something worong with the design or engineering of the setup.

Favorite Features

THe D/C, A/C power converter.

Suggested Improvements

Back to the drawing board on the brakes and preventive maintinance or the transmission need atleast a dip stick to prevent damage.

Dodge Journey United Kingdom
By miffed3

2009 Dodge Journey SE 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my Dodge journey SXT CRD AUTO in May 2009 7000 miles on the clock, went in for service @ 20000. The result being new brake pads on front and 1 new tyre. Three months later another new tyre. In Feb this year car was juddering on take off so took it to the dealer they ran the computer on the car and told me to pick the car up as it was now running perfectly.Needless to say there was no difference in the running of the car. Was told to bring the car back to workshop on the 16 Feb.on the way the gearbox intermittently lost its drive so the car limped into the workshop. Was told it needed a new gearbox and it would be a week {Chrysler supplied a hire car} it is now 21st May & lots of phone calls to garage,{none from them to me}lots of phone calls from Chrysler customer service, have had three delivery dates from them for this gearbox to arrive but still hasn’t infact Chrysler customer service told me he was going to stop ringing me with updates as it was clearly upsetting me…….Who wouldn’t be upset ive owned this car for 2 years now but its only been in my drive for 21 months and in the workshop for 3 months.The Garage who sold me this car is based on Mereyside United Kingdom & said under no circumstances would they consider a buy back. Will keep posting on here and other forums as and when things begin to happen.

No Issues...
By jimbodean

2009 Dodge Journey R/T 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

We traded in a 2005 Chevy Equinox with 53,000 miles for this Journey and have not looked back one time. The leather seats are comfy and clean. The DVD system and Satellite radio are great. I keep reading about brake issues but we have 21,000 miles and the rotors are original and in great shape, we are not seeing any of the steering wheel shaking at all. Lots of room, lots of storage, 3rd row seating is for kids only but convenient if needed. We will be taking this car on a 2500 mile round trip from Nebraska to South Carolina in July and I have no trepidations at this point on reliability or comfort. The wife loves the back up camera and all the other R/T amenities.

Favorite Features

Back up camera, DVD system, storage, AWD

Suggested Improvements

More foot space on 3rd row seating.