2009 Dodge Journey SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Journey model:
Brake problems
By cynthia on 09/22/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Dodge Journey SUV R/T 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I bought the journey r/t model in August of 09. At 12,000 mile they had to replace the front rotors and pads. Just took it back in at 16,000 mile they had to replace the fronts again and now the backs they say are shot. Had it in on several occasions before for electrical problems. Everything is fine otherwise and the r/t model is much better but the brake problems are getting to be too much. There is a class action law suit against Dodge for the brake problems.

Stuck with a lemmon
By Regina Benoit on 09/21/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Dodge Journey SUV SXT 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I like so many other consumers is very disappointed with my purchase of the 09 Journey. At 25,000 miles I had to have the front brake pads and rotors replaced on my car. I replaced all 4 tires before my car was a year old. After having the car 3 months the motor on the drivers side door had to be replaced. 5 months later the battery had to be replaced. I can't believe I've had so many problems with a new car. I drove a Chevy Tahoe for 8 years before purchasing the Journey. I didn't start having problems with the Tahoe until I had 200,000 miles on it. I will never buy another Chrysler product and I have told Family and Friends to not buy Chrysler cars.

Unhappy
By andres on 09/20/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Dodge Journey SUV R/T 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

My Dodge Journey is a Lemon. The car has been idle for about 3 months now with no clear explanation as to what is wrong with it. It appears that all the electrical components in the car do not work. I am very disappointed with my first American car, although I was warned to be careful. I learned my lesson. Make sure you take care of everything prior to your warranty expiring, if not you will be paying dearly for unnecessary items that the dealer will tell "it is normal". File your complaints now and protect yourself.

It's going GOING
By got rid of it ! on 09/20/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Dodge Journey SUV SXT 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

So I knew I was trading down from the grand Cherokee. Replace brakes the first time at 27k. All four of the tires at 35,000 (they are rated for 60k!) I had the dragging sound whenever I took a sharp left and also had to replace the wipers at 30k. Interior parts fell off the first week. The plastic guard by the drivers seat kept falling off. The plastic strip inside the drivers door had to be replaced because it came loose and would not stay on. And at 54k they said you need brakes again! Email to Chrysler and they could have cared less. So with 5 months to go on the lease it is going back. I bought a Nissan! Chrysler/Dodge should be ashamed of this car. But I know they are not.

A Realistic Journey Review
By jken02 on 09/19/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Dodge Journey SUV SXT 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Overall, a good car. The design is great, both inside and out, and the features are fantastic. There are lots of storage spaces and plenty of room (we have three rows of seats). However, the attention to detail and quality are lacking. Our brakes needed replaced at 26000, which is definitely early. Whatever pads are installed at the factory simply aren't adequate. The overhead sunglasses holder (near the sunroof controls) wont stay up. It is a very poorly executed design feature. All of that said, this is a first year model, my experience over the past 20 years of owning cars (Dodge, Jeep, Mercury, Pontiac, VW, GMC, Honda, Mitsubishi) is that first-year models have issues.

In for a Bumpy ride
By Helpme on 09/08/10 19:59 PM (PDT)

2009 Dodge Journey SUV SXT 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I bought this 2009 Journey, from Carl Gregory in Columbus, Ga. That was my first mistake! I have 26,000 miles on it. It has been in the shop numerous times. All the plastic glove compartments, visors, back speakers have been replaced. Now I had my front brakes replaced, rotors rotated front tires replaced and I still have severe vibrations in steering wheel, especially when braking, the whole front end vibrates. I just put about $700 in the past 3 months. I owe too much to trade it in. I guess i will have to get a lawyer again, but this will be the last dodge I will ever own! Avoid the Journey if you are smart..

Brakes and Peeling Paint
By Frustrated on 09/05/10 01:30 AM (PDT)

2009 Dodge Journey SUV SXT 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I also had to replace brakes. I am also having the issue with peeling paint on the rear view mirrors now. Of all the cars I have purchased in my life this is the worst experience with a car I have had. I will no longer purchase Chrysler products based on my experience with this car. I was a loyal Chrysler customer prior to this experience. Chrysler refuses to do anything about the issues.

Dodge Journey
By Dodge sucks on 09/03/10 09:22 AM (PDT)

2009 Dodge Journey SUV SXT 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I also have they same complaint as everyone else does. I bought this car because it looked like a nice family car with the 3rd row seats. I purchased it 6 mos. ago and absolutely hate it! The air conditioner smells like toxic glue, The breaks squeal took it to a break shops,they said that Dodge puts cheap breaks on their cars and I need new pads. Air conditioner is making a rattling sound along with suspension problems every time I hit a bump it grunts. Just yesterday my car would not move into gear it just froze and would not budge. I never owned a Dodge until now and never again! I think they made this car just to keep the auto mechanics busy. Dodge you lost my business and respect.

Exhausted!
By kristy on 09/01/10 14:37 PM (PDT)

2009 Dodge Journey SUV SXT 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I have had to take my Journey back to the dealership SEVEN times for brakes/rotors. It is currently there as we speak. they are running tests to see what I am doing to the car? What the heck? I am not doing ANYTHING to the darn car! It is a piece of junk! Chrysler should really do a recall and help the owners get out of the car! I am not satisfied at all!! I have had 3 cases open with Chrysler and they will not do anything to help! I will NEVER again buy a Chrysler!! AC issues, alarm going off for no reason (and you can not make it stop)..they say they cant find the problem! Really? The problem is this car is not worth all of the headache it is causing!

Should of bought a Ford
By 2009 Dodge Journey R on 09/01/10 14:00 PM (PDT)

2009 Dodge Journey SUV R/T 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I have had nothing but problems with my Journey. It shakes when I stop. I had to have new rotors at 10,000 miles now at 20,000 its doing the same thing. The front end makes loud noises when I back out of my driveway. About once a week everything in the car shuts down and I have to restart it. It makes a humming noise when in idol. I am so tired of taking it to the dealer. I asked them if others have had problems and they tell me no. Someone told me it was one of the first Journey's off of the assembly line and thats why I'm having so many problems. I have 21,000 miles on it and I want to get rid of it. "My Dodge Journey is a LEMON!"

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Dodge Journey Suv in VA is:

$120 per month*