Used 2009 Dodge Journey Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Dodge Journey - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Journey model:

NEVER EVER BUY!
By ccard3

2009 Dodge Journey SXT 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

We have had our car for less then 2 years... We bought it in 2010 with less then 20,000 miles on it. In that time we have had to replace our brakes, Have our entire transmission rebuilt, our starter replaced, and now it wont start and the dealership does not know why. I am a stay at home mom and do not drive much at all, some days i do not even leave the house and this car is so un-reliable i can not even believe it! Its a 50/50 chance if the car will start or not, and if it does THEN i get my child ready and into the car, No point in getting him ready if we cant go anywhere. Cant wait to get rid of this car, Lemon, lemon, lemon!

Unbelieveably Disgusted
By heavysigh

2009 Dodge Journey SXT 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I bought this thing because the dealer told me it had the same engine as my chrysler 300. I have had so many problems they are way too many to mention all of them here. I have had 2 recalls and had both problems before the recalls so I had to pay and wait & wait. I never was reimbursed for one of them and now had to pay again. I have had problems with ignition, key fobs, security, transmission, brakes, windows, door harnesses, brakes again and more and more. It has left me stranded at the gas pump at 11 at night because of some mystery problem with radio waves (my god!) It eats brakes and tires. It's the worst vehicle I've ever owned!! I want to paint it yellow & put "sunkist" on it.

heated seats

brakes, ignition, entire electrical system, mileage, transmission

Don't buy a Journey!
By star20

2009 Dodge Journey SE 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I have had to replace the front brakes on this car twice and the back brakes once. I only have 26,000 miles on the car and I need to replace the brakes again! Dodge is using poor quality parts and made the brake "sweep" area insufficient for the weight of the vehicle. this car is a piece of junk. Also I had to replace the front tires already and it cost me nearly $400! that was with shopping around for the best deal. I will never buy Dodge again.

Heartbroken!
By heartbroken1

2009 Dodge Journey SXT 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I loved loved my interior of my journey. I bought it in November of 2008 and I just had to trade it off because of continuous mantenance issues. I love the design of the car however I have never gone 2 months without it being in the shop. At 49,000 miles I have replaced the brakes and rotors 3 times. The axel seals were replaced 3 times. The car wouldn't start 2 times. I had the right and left boot replaced. Last moth the power steering blew. I had to have it towed. The final straw was the transfer case went out. Thank God I bought the extended warranty because it had paid for itself in only 4 months into the contract. The tires were a Nightmare to replace. Only Kuhmo sold them

I loved all the features that have nothing to do with mechanics such as the stereo. And interior colors. Thats it!

Need to have different tires made them. The ones I bought were $900.00 a set and only lasted 2 years. And guess what? No other tires available. It was a crazy nightmare! Don't listen to the dealer. Call around with the tire number you'll see. The entire mechanical design needs to be redone. Too many problems. They produced a Lemon.

Worst Car I've EVER Owned
By kysmommy07

2009 Dodge Journey SXT 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I purchased this car because I wanted something. I previously had a pontiac g6 but after I gave birth to my son I needed more room for my son and all his accessories (car sear, stroller, diaper bag etc). I am a VERY safe driver. I checked for recalls, I've tried different brake pads. NOTHING! I took it to multiple dodge dealerships and 3rd party mechanics. I finally contacted Dodge's corporate office. I was told that I could be reimbursed for all my repairs up to 36,000 K-$500.00. Now my transmission went out at 46k. It's a 09 with 46K and no warranty. 110$ Junk! Several class action lawsuits. Worse car ever. Life threatening defects.

Storage under the seats

Brakes that don't wear out every 3000K.