2009 Dodge Journey - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Journey model:
So Far- It works
By Tony on 11/05/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Dodge Journey SXT 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Bought this car with 19,000 miles on it. I've put 20,000 more in the 7 months that i've owned it. Chrysler vehicles are always a great deal,if purchased used. The front brakes were replaced at 19,000, when the first owner traded the car in. I replaced the rears(??) at 38,000 miles. While this is too soon, the Mercedes- type pads are very dusty and wear quickly. Hopefully, the bendix pads will last longer. They aren't nearly as dusty. The Kumho tires were replaced at 38,000. This is the only company that makes the (OEM) 19in. size. They were $270-$320 at tire stores and were purchased for $186 at Tirerack.This car runs great. Gets over 20mpg avg. I drive it like i stole it and it's great

Brake Problems!
By Shawn Kelly on 11/05/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Dodge Journey SXT 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I'm now on my 3rd set of Pads, Rotors and Calibers. The dealer I purchased it at did nothing. I had to go to a garage for my second set of brakes. The 3rd set was done at another Chrysler dealer. They were nice enough to only charge me $250 for all 4. I called HQ. Chrysler will do nothing about it and I'm so disappointed that I donít want the car anymore! I didn't even get a sorry, nothing but the tool on the other line being defensive. This is my first and last Chrysler product. Basically the "tool" told me to go to the dealership every 11,000 miles to have them changed out and pay the warranty. Nice customer service! If they keep this up its going to be the "Big 2"!

Recall your Brakes/Rotors Chrysler
By Looking elsewhere on 11/05/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Dodge Journey R/T 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

After 31,000 miles we had to spend $450 on new front and back brakes/rotors. We certainly did not buy mopar parts again as they always fail and are cheap. Review after review and dealership after dealership have complained about this problem. There is even a lawsuit in California against Chrysler for these brake and rotor problems. When is Chrysler going to take responsibility? I have been a Jeep/Dodge person for 33 years and will look elsewhere for my vehicles due to the fact that Chrysler uses shoddy materials and expects their customers to just deal with it. Your customers should not have to pay $250 to upgrade their gps or $267.00/tire for your 19" rims on your r/t's. How sad!

Broken Record
By Afager on 10/26/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Dodge Journey R/T 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

We bought this car in December of '09 used w/ 15,000 miles on it after looking mainly at GMC Acadia's, this came along and I liked the look of it. The price was considerably less and it ended up being a same day purchase. I agree with many of the above comments, little interior things break frequently which is annoying but not a big deal. The BIG deal is the front brakes & rotors. We replaced them at 25,000 and are now having to replace them again at 36,000. We also got the calipers replaced at the same time as the first brake job since we were told they were sticking which was supposedly the cause of the first brake job. This time they have no excuse and it's the same shop.

Seat cover stains
By PHIL COMER on 10/20/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Dodge Journey SE 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

From the day I drove my new car off the lot I have had problems with water stains on the seat cover material. I have been trying to get the company to do something about it for over a year now. They are supposed to let me know by 10/21/2010. This is clearly a defect in the material. Even condensation from a cold soda can will leave a stain.

GPS will cost you!
By Give me my Liberty!! on 10/20/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Dodge Journey R/T 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

It is not made known to you up front, but it will cost $250.00 to update your GPS. After 1.5 years, my GPS begins to flash signs at me stating "Map Location Unknown". Funny, it is my home location and it recognized it for a long time. Finally, dealerships do not even know how to direct you in getting it updated. I had to call around.

The low down
By steveh77 on 10/18/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Dodge Journey SXT 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I read a lot of reviews on the Dodge Journey's and I think the majority of them have big holes. This is not a mini-van, not a fun to drive sports car, it is a family hauler. We immediately took our new-to-us Journey on a 4 hour road trip and it was great. Not once did I adjust my seat, the wife and the one child we took never got sick or hot or cold. Nobody complained at all; at least about anything to do with the vehicle. The ride is smooth and the only thing you can hear from the outside is some engine noise, pretty low level unless you gun it; easily drowned out by the radio at normal levels. I find it easier to drive than a grand caravan, turns really well for its size.

Ultilty with comfort
By D.R. on 10/13/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Dodge Journey SXT 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Owned 99 Dodge truck for 10 years. Time for a change. Truck ran great 150,000. Staying with Dodge. This journey is a blast. I love all the room it has. Light construction projects are breeze, all the seats lay flat for hauling 8 ft. 2x4, s and can still close the hatch. Family of 5 no problem with 3row seating. Interior nice, gps and sound system, awesome. No regrets.

Forewarned!
By Tara on 10/12/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Dodge Journey R/T 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

This car has been interesting to say the least. I like the design and gas mileage but as I am writing this my car is having it's back brakes replaced after last week having the transmission replaced. This past spring we had the front breaks replaced. What will be next. I contacted Chrysler and they have no recalls! Clearly there is a huge problem with this vehicle. Our dealership has been wonderful. I will contact Dodge with a formal complaint along with consumer protection. Any advice would be appreciated. I miss my Pacifica that I traded in for this car! If Chrysler does not address this we will be purchasing a GM product, unfortunate in that we have owned over 10 Chrysler vehicles.

No Brakes
By mommy22 on 10/03/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Dodge Journey SXT 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Like everyone else I am having brake and rotor problems, mine were at 14,000 mi, I was lucky as a "one time customer courtesy they were only charging me $100.00 deductible"

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Dodge Journey in VA is:

$120 per month*