Used 2009 Dodge Journey Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Dodge Journey - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Journey model:

Owner
By Patricia Fleischhaue

2009 Dodge Journey SXT 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I love driving my Journey. I like the idea that you have the feeling of a larger vehicle in a crossover. The interior is very convenient in many ways. My only complaint is that for a 6 cyl I do not get good gas mileage. I am getting only 10.4 to 11.1mpg on local traveling. I get the same mileage as on my 8 cyl Tahoe which is a much bigger vehicle. After reading all the other reviews I do not understand why I am getting so low mileage. On a longer trip I only get 14mpg. I truly hope this improves because I would highly recommend this vehicle to others if it was not for that one complaint.

It is a perfect size for me and I love all the storage this vehicle offers. The interior lighting is wonderful. It is really the perfect crossover.

Gas mileage

Doesn't brake well in the snow
By Kathy

2009 Dodge Journey R/T 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

This is my second winter with my Journey and I make sure that I go to the store the day before a big snow. I do not feel safe driving this car in the snow. It doesn't brake well at all. Also, when I make sharp turns, it makes a horrible clunking sound. I read in one of these reviews that it is an engine mount problem. I have to drive my Journey real easy it seems. Wouldn't buy this car again and would not recommend it to anyone.

2009 Dodge Journey RT 2WD
By Norfolk, VA

2009 Dodge Journey R/T 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Love my car but...There is not enough space for second and third row to each have room for their legs. The paint wore off of the ignition switch. Had to replace breaks at 20K miles. The engine began ticking much louder around 15K. The transmission makes a terrible noise on acceleration. Have been told that is ‘normal’. The power windows don't always work. The dealership couldn't duplicate or fix the problem. My key doesn't work every time. The sunroof leaked. We do not get the promised gas mileage. I complained that the car pulled to the right. Months later a recall was issued on that problem. The door trim falls off. While I love the features, I do not feel that this car is well made.

You get more features for the money than any other car in the class. The heated seats, Bluetooth, USB port, and iPod plug are our most used features. Love all of the available storage. Third row seats "stow and go" very easily. The lighted floor boards and cup holders are great.

Move the backup camera warning across the top, it blocks its use. Do something about the reliability of the vehicle. Move the video screen. It blocks the rear view.

Brakes are crappy
By Gordon

2009 Dodge Journey SXT 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

year and a half in and I've already had to replace the pads and rotors...absolutely not acceptable but the warranty doesn't cover it. Do not purchase this vehicle as it will cost you way more in the long run than a well built import...sorry to say it but it's true

looks, drives very well, fuel economy is great

brakes, not very good in the winter as the stock tires are of poor quality

Not a happy camper
By Not a happy camper

2009 Dodge Journey SXT 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I purchased my 2009 Journey in Sept. of 2008. I had 13,000.00 mile on the car when my breaks went. The dealership said they are not covered. My driver side heat seat burns my back and doesn't heat your butt. While driving I heard a huge bang like I hit something and then the heat seat (drivers) stopped working. My car won't go over 45mph, it was putting and when I got to the dealership they told me it was fine.This is bull crap! Passenger side window does not go up from the drivers side button. It's ok for them to sell you the car but they don't want to cover anything. this is why I bought a brand new car so I wouldn't have problems. that's all I have. seat fabric is horrible.oil lt. always on

I loved the car when I bought it but I sure as heck don't love it anymore. I take very good care of my cars, tires rotated and oil changes every 3500 miles.

The company should fix these problems not tell us it's not fixable under warranty.