Used 2009 Dodge Journey Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Dodge Journey - Consumer Reviews

2009 Dodge Journey

View reviews for a specific Journey model:

2009 Dodge Journey RT 2WD
By Norfolk, VA

2009 Dodge Journey R/T 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Love my car but...There is not enough space for second and third row to each have room for their legs. The paint wore off of the ignition switch. Had to replace breaks at 20K miles. The engine began ticking much louder around 15K. The transmission makes a terrible noise on acceleration. Have been told that is ‘normal’. The power windows don't always work. The dealership couldn't duplicate or fix the problem. My key doesn't work every time. The sunroof leaked. We do not get the promised gas mileage. I complained that the car pulled to the right. Months later a recall was issued on that problem. The door trim falls off. While I love the features, I do not feel that this car is well made.

Favorite Features

You get more features for the money than any other car in the class. The heated seats, Bluetooth, USB port, and iPod plug are our most used features. Love all of the available storage. Third row seats "stow and go" very easily. The lighted floor boards and cup holders are great.

Suggested Improvements

Move the backup camera warning across the top, it blocks its use. Do something about the reliability of the vehicle. Move the video screen. It blocks the rear view.

Brakes are crappy
By Gordon

2009 Dodge Journey SXT 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

year and a half in and I've already had to replace the pads and rotors...absolutely not acceptable but the warranty doesn't cover it. Do not purchase this vehicle as it will cost you way more in the long run than a well built import...sorry to say it but it's true

Favorite Features

looks, drives very well, fuel economy is great

Suggested Improvements

brakes, not very good in the winter as the stock tires are of poor quality

Not a happy camper
By Not a happy camper

2009 Dodge Journey SXT 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I purchased my 2009 Journey in Sept. of 2008. I had 13,000.00 mile on the car when my breaks went. The dealership said they are not covered. My driver side heat seat burns my back and doesn't heat your butt. While driving I heard a huge bang like I hit something and then the heat seat (drivers) stopped working. My car won't go over 45mph, it was putting and when I got to the dealership they told me it was fine.This is bull crap! Passenger side window does not go up from the drivers side button. It's ok for them to sell you the car but they don't want to cover anything. this is why I bought a brand new car so I wouldn't have problems. that's all I have. seat fabric is horrible.oil lt. always on

Favorite Features

I loved the car when I bought it but I sure as heck don't love it anymore. I take very good care of my cars, tires rotated and oil changes every 3500 miles.

Suggested Improvements

The company should fix these problems not tell us it's not fixable under warranty.

Great Car that is a Step above the Rest
By Justin

2009 Dodge Journey SXT 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

We purchased this car new and could not be happier. The size is great, and the style is the best out there. Freeway miles for a V6 23-24mpg is awesome, and even city around 19-20mpg is great. Have not had to bring it in for anything small, but its a good feeling that the engine and powertrain are covered for as long as we own the car, which I have a feeling will be a very long time. Dodge built a great vehicle, that I think will be a favorite for a long time. So happy with this car, that when I go to trade my truck in this spring, we are going to buy a Dodge Ram, can't wait!!!!!

Favorite Features

From accelerating, to steering(get the 19 inch rims, get an upgrade on steering and suspension) the style and quality is great. Safety features that are standard you pay extra for any Toyota or Honda!!!

Suggested Improvements

They shoudl think about doing a Hybrid with this vehicle, nothing elese I would fix..

A little soggy
By CB

2009 Dodge Journey R/T 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I have had my Dodge Journey for a Year and love the car. It had been raining all day on Sunday and when my husband and I went to take friends out to dinner, the passengar side in the front was flooded with water. You could see where it looked like it ran down the door. Windows and door where shut tight and the overhead console when I turned the corner, had water running out as well. Have an appointment on Thursday. Hopefully, the car will not start to smell and they fix the problem. Will see how it turns out. Also, the car could get a little better gas mileage. It's almost like to much car for the size engine.

Favorite Features

I like the bluetooth accessories, the leather interior and the 3 rows of seats.

Suggested Improvements

I think that if the engine were a small 8, you might get a little better gas mileage since it would not be such a strain on the engine. I think that the 6 is not big enough for the amount of car.