Used 2009 Dodge Journey Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Dodge Journey - Consumer Reviews

2009 Dodge Journey

View reviews for a specific Journey model:

This car is worthless
By mygrace02

2009 Dodge Journey SE 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

We bought our journey less than a year ago..we took it in 2 wks after purchase for excessive brake dust and brakes didn't brake well. It has now been there 5 times for the brakes. They resurfaced rotors at 9000 and replaced back rotors at 12500miles. I have had it back 3 weeks and my brakes squeal and grind still. It is a horrible braking system. I have 3 children i drive in this car and absolutely do not feel safe. If I wanted this many probs. i would have bought a used car. All this not to mention it feels like it stalls when i accelerate and it always makes some horn like noise when i start it all of which they can't seem to correct. HORRIBLE CAR!!!!!

Suggested Improvements

Braking system needs to be recalled. I am obviously not the only one who has these issues.

Bad Breaks on the Dodge Journey
By EffieCA

2009 Dodge Journey SXT 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Like so many other Dodge owners I have had to replace my breaks at 9,000 miles. It was NOT covered by Warranty so I had to pay out of pocket. One month later the same front breaks began to make terrible squeaking noises again. I had to take it back to the mechanic two more times and eventually had to have the rotors cut. I'm sure this is not the end of my break problems but just the begining. When is Dodge going to recall the breaks??????

Favorite Features

The concept of this car is great but the craftmanship is horrible and Dodge does not stand behing their work or treat their customers properly. In this market you should be doing everything you can to gain customers trust and loyalty. Me- I'm going back to Ford!

Suggested Improvements

Recall the breaks. Fix the problem and end the bandaids the mechanics are giving us. Honor our warranty!!!

Brakes & Rotors Out After 18 Months!
By Jen

2009 Dodge Journey SXT 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I just read all the reviews and wish I had BEFORE we bought this car... I have accepted the minor problems (broken visor, inconvenience of early recalls, and panic alarm going off when using the keyless entry); but the expense incurred for brakes and rotors going out after 18 months is just NOT acceptable! And to be told it is a "normal wear and tear" problem not covered by warranty adds insult to injury. I wish dodge understood that people buy new because they don't want to deal with these types of problems. I don't know how to do it, but I am hoping someone reads this and know how to get a recall effort going because this is seriously concerning!

Favorite Features

space and storage

Suggested Improvements

Fix the brake and rotor problem; no new car should need the rotors replaced at 28000 miles!

Owner
By Patricia Fleischhaue

2009 Dodge Journey SXT 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I love driving my Journey. I like the idea that you have the feeling of a larger vehicle in a crossover. The interior is very convenient in many ways. My only complaint is that for a 6 cyl I do not get good gas mileage. I am getting only 10.4 to 11.1mpg on local traveling. I get the same mileage as on my 8 cyl Tahoe which is a much bigger vehicle. After reading all the other reviews I do not understand why I am getting so low mileage. On a longer trip I only get 14mpg. I truly hope this improves because I would highly recommend this vehicle to others if it was not for that one complaint.

Favorite Features

It is a perfect size for me and I love all the storage this vehicle offers. The interior lighting is wonderful. It is really the perfect crossover.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage

Doesn't brake well in the snow
By Kathy

2009 Dodge Journey R/T 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

This is my second winter with my Journey and I make sure that I go to the store the day before a big snow. I do not feel safe driving this car in the snow. It doesn't brake well at all. Also, when I make sharp turns, it makes a horrible clunking sound. I read in one of these reviews that it is an engine mount problem. I have to drive my Journey real easy it seems. Wouldn't buy this car again and would not recommend it to anyone.