Used 2009 Dodge Journey Consumer Reviews - 320 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Dodge Journey - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Journey model:

The best SUV nobody knows
By Juan Marcos

2009 Dodge Journey SXT 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

First time I saw the Journey was on the road. Chrysler was not advertising at the time and then early last year went on a trip and rented one. I was very impressed by the sure footed handling, styling and interior design. Then I bought one. I tow a medium sized boat so I got the 3.5L V6 AWD and the optional 19" tires with the sport suspension and trailer package. The handling is almost sport car like, towing the boat is very secure, love the convenience of the interior compartments, IPOD in the glove box and I get great millage on the highway. Compared to other crossover SUVs, the performance and looks is as good or better, and a much better value. This is to me, the best SUV nobody knows.

IPOD in the glove box and controlled through the radio, phone blue tooth, storage compartment under right seat, lots of power for towing

Make the parking brake a hand brake, add an economy mode to the automatic climate control

Should have asked a driver part 3
By Acajin

2009 Dodge Journey SXT 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Well here it is March 24th 2010. I've now had this vehicle for 15 months. It has 34,000 km on it and I still love this car. I had to change the brakes at 30,000 km but I got the repair shop to install aftermarket ceramic pads. This winter the power steering hose busted (twice) it was -26c when this happened and the dealer told me that it was due to the cold weather thickening the power steering fluid. The hoses are made cheap and they can't take the extra pressure. Warranty covered the problem. Get this, the best mileage I could get driving 100 kph on a flat road was 7.2 L/100 km, awesome! I usually average about 8.3 L/100 km (34 imp. mpg) on the highway and 10.5 L/100 km in the city.

Storage, handling (in both summer and winter), manual shift, fold down rear seats, gas mileage, performance.

Better power steering hoses, a spoiler over the rear window to keep the snow from covering it up. Fix the jerky transmission when the weather is cold.

Keep Waiting For the Other Shoe to Drop
By BarryE

2009 Dodge Journey SXT 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I am approaching 36,000 mi & have had no problems at all. I keep waiting for something to give me a reason to trade, but its almost perfect. I'm in Eastern NC & easily average 28 mpg on our rather flat terrain. My wife likes the vehicle size & heated cloth seats. My hands-free phone through my cell is better than her setup through her Camry.

Heated cloth seats, mpg, styling, tires, suspension and quietness.

Access to computer information center & trip odometer changes are awkward as you have to reach through the steering wheel.

Front brakes
By TOMMY SMITH

2009 Dodge Journey SXT 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

This seem like a nice vehicle. But it's had a lot of brake dust on the front wheels for a while. Now at 20,000 miles it is metal to metal on the left front wheel and the right front is very close. On top of that the day after I purchased this vehicle m&m Dodge went out of business & the nearest Dodge dealer is about 20 miles farther & they won't give a loaner while it's being worked on plus they won't cover this anyway because there are no recalls. I have been a dealer mechanic in my earlier years. I am quality control person on vehicles that belong to the federal government & we have to make quality deficiency reports on poor performance. Dodge is not doing it. Shame shame!

Make dealers do more quality control reports. Dodge should pay the dealer for repairs no matter where you bought it. Why did the government bail them out.

Love it..
By Chrysler Baby

2009 Dodge Journey SXT 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

When I went to purchase my car, I was looking at a used Pacifica but saw this and decided to test drive it. It sits high enough that I can see things but low enough that my older mother can get in w/o any problem. I drive a lot of highway miles and there is very little road noise which is wonderful! I love the eletrical plug in too! Makes it great to have a Wii plugged in for my son on our long trips back and forth to Grandmas.

The Visibility is exceptional for a short person like me!