Used 2009 Dodge Journey SE Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Dodge Journey - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Journey model:

Disappointed
By kingsolidsteve

2009 Dodge Journey SE 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I got my Journey as a high school graduation present from my grandmother. It was a very nice gift, initially looked impressive, and was fun for awhile. That all gradually started to change. Since I have had it, it has had two recalls for safety issues, replaced brake pads that were defective, and wheel covers that had a weird discoloration (and still does). There is also an excessive amount of dust that accumulates on the dashboard, and some of the interior pieces are pretty flimsy and cheap. Acceleration is sometimes either too quick or too sluggish, and the gas mileage isn't up to par. This is disappointing, as I've always been a Dodge fan. I'm thinking of trading in my Journey next year.

Favorite Features

Plenty of interior space, stereo system.

Suggested Improvements

Use better quality materials, make sure parts installed are not defective, add a bit more engine power.

Don't buy a Journey!
By star20

2009 Dodge Journey SE 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I have had to replace the front brakes on this car twice and the back brakes once. I only have 26,000 miles on the car and I need to replace the brakes again! Dodge is using poor quality parts and made the brake "sweep" area insufficient for the weight of the vehicle. this car is a piece of junk. Also I had to replace the front tires already and it cost me nearly $400! that was with shopping around for the best deal. I will never buy Dodge again.

mystery water leak
By wildwine

2009 Dodge Journey SE 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Have had the 2009 Dodge Journey since July 2008. Had 2 recalls so far for brakes and power invertor connectors of which both were fixed. Now we have water entering car on drivers side and leaving carpet and foam underneath soaking in water. Door seals were changed and still having problem. Taking it in tomorrow for the 3rd time. Let me add that this car only has 15,500 miles on it. We are senior citizens living on a fixed income and cannot afford another one and one year owed on this one. Angry is not the word I would use at the present time but I need to keep it clean,(sic). Of course with our luck warranty is no longer applicable. I will prevail.

Favorite Features

Comfortable driving and riding.

Suggested Improvements

Better quality. Don't use recycled beer cans to make vechicles.

This car is awful...
By jfogs

2009 Dodge Journey SE 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

If you want a car where you need to replace the brakes and rotors every 15k miles and will start when it feels like it, then this is the car for you. Think I'm kidding? Just google it. Do not buy Dodge/Chrysler. This company deserved to die and you and I are paying to keep them on life support. Never again.

Favorite Features

The fact that it ever works

Suggested Improvements

Gasoline and a match

Do not purchase this vehicle - 2009 - 4 Cyclinder Model
By barry_72

2009 Dodge Journey SE 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Brakes are horrible. Just after 12k miles, front brakes had to be replaced. I replaced with Autozone pads (lifetime warranty) and those lasted for another 20k miles better than the mopar's. I'm on my 3rd set of brakes using Autozone pads which offer free replacements. Rear brakes had to be replaced at 38k miles. I've never had a car in which the rear brakes had to be addressed before 100k miles. Don't let Chrysler touch your brakes. $30 for your first pair of Autozone brand and they last longer with LIFETIME warranty even with normal wear. Chrysler will just put the same sub standard parts on your car for replacement that you'll have to pay dearly to replace.

Favorite Features

Interior design. Size. Style. (Had to replace the sun glasses drop down storage and fix the rear seat's center console since the plastic molding broke off.

Suggested Improvements

Chrysler should take ownership when their mechanical design is less than other makes/models. Interior has a nice design but terrible quality. Brakes are the worst I've experienced on any car. Why in the world would you have to replace your battery from under the driver side wheel well? Battery placement is a horrible design idea.