2009 Dodge Journey SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Journey model:
2009 Dodge Journey RT
By stadman82 on 08/07/13 22:14 PM (PDT)

2009 Dodge Journey SUV R/T 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

The biggest problem that I have had with this vehicle is the battery needing to be replaced. Very easy job. 15 minutes if you have tools. Everyone reading the bad reviews on this vehicle, remember is a couple hundred out of a thousands of vehicles. I understand the electrical problems. The starting problems with the key. Try replacing the battery in the remote.. Runs off a chip (needs power). Only complaint is brakes and tires. If your change brakes, spend the extra money and get quality like Brembo and a high quality set of pads. Will save hundreds in future. Tires no answer, suck it up. My family enjoys this vehicle and have owned it for 3 years 30,000+ miles.

Recall your Brakes/Rotors Chrysler
By Looking elsewhere on 11/05/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Dodge Journey SUV R/T 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

After 31,000 miles we had to spend $450 on new front and back brakes/rotors. We certainly did not buy mopar parts again as they always fail and are cheap. Review after review and dealership after dealership have complained about this problem. There is even a lawsuit in California against Chrysler for these brake and rotor problems. When is Chrysler going to take responsibility? I have been a Jeep/Dodge person for 33 years and will look elsewhere for my vehicles due to the fact that Chrysler uses shoddy materials and expects their customers to just deal with it. Your customers should not have to pay $250 to upgrade their gps or $267.00/tire for your 19" rims on your r/t's. How sad!

GPS will cost you!
By Give me my Liberty!! on 10/20/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Dodge Journey SUV R/T 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

It is not made known to you up front, but it will cost $250.00 to update your GPS. After 1.5 years, my GPS begins to flash signs at me stating "Map Location Unknown". Funny, it is my home location and it recognized it for a long time. Finally, dealerships do not even know how to direct you in getting it updated. I had to call around.

Brake problems
By cynthia on 09/22/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Dodge Journey SUV R/T 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I bought the journey r/t model in August of 09. At 12,000 mile they had to replace the front rotors and pads. Just took it back in at 16,000 mile they had to replace the fronts again and now the backs they say are shot. Had it in on several occasions before for electrical problems. Everything is fine otherwise and the r/t model is much better but the brake problems are getting to be too much. There is a class action law suit against Dodge for the brake problems.

Unhappy
By andres on 09/20/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Dodge Journey SUV R/T 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

My Dodge Journey is a Lemon. The car has been idle for about 3 months now with no clear explanation as to what is wrong with it. It appears that all the electrical components in the car do not work. I am very disappointed with my first American car, although I was warned to be careful. I learned my lesson. Make sure you take care of everything prior to your warranty expiring, if not you will be paying dearly for unnecessary items that the dealer will tell "it is normal". File your complaints now and protect yourself.

Body problems
By H.shirk on 08/24/10 10:08 AM (PDT)

2009 Dodge Journey SUV R/T 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

The car is an ok deal for the money. However, there is absolutely no acceleration at all unless you have the pedal to the medal. Lots of brake and rotor problems. The mirrors on the visors have both broken due to the heat in the summer. Seriously needs a recall. Took months to fix the passenger side and now waiting for the driver side to come in stock. Caution* Do not look in the mirror until the car has completely cooled down. That takes about 30 minutes or more by the way and then you will be freezing to death. Guess I would rather freeze than leave part of my rear melted to the seat.

Rather have my Jeep
By Rather have my Jeep on 08/12/10 12:21 PM (PDT)

2009 Dodge Journey SUV R/T 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I will have my Journey back in the shop for the 2nd time due to a shaking in the front end and into the steering column after having the front suspension checked, and the tires balance for the 2nd time. PLUS we just had to replace the brakes and rotors front and back with only 31,000 all highway miles on it. What the heck! I didn't have to have that done until 65,000 miles on my Jeep liberty and no chassis vibration.

New brakes at 20,000
By Jerene on 05/12/10 12:14 PM (PDT)

2009 Dodge Journey SUV R/T 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I also needed new brakes and rotors at 20,000. Normal wear and tear?? I think not. Now the low tire pressure light is flashing... the tire pressure is fine. I'm totally aggravated I have to go back so soon after the brakes to have this looked at. I'm disappointed to say the least.

14,000
By cowlover on 03/08/10 10:01 AM (PST)

2009 Dodge Journey SUV R/T 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I got my dodge journey for valentine's days last year traded my 05 magnum sxt in low miles mint cond. to get this car and have nothing but issues. Tomorrow they are replacing lifters and other things on the engine to take care of my ticking noise. And in Dec I took it in for routine oil change and was told I had 80% left of brakes now 2200 miles and 3 months I have 10% left. I asked mgr what the heck? He said has not heard of any defect and just it is how I am driving but in the next sentence tells me that they revised the pads. So I asked what happened to my 70% he said tech must have read the pads wrong in dec. The mileage is bad also I am lucky if I get 13-miles per gallon .

Doesn't brake well in the snow
By Kathy on 02/03/10 06:59 AM (PST)

2009 Dodge Journey SUV R/T 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

This is my second winter with my Journey and I make sure that I go to the store the day before a big snow. I do not feel safe driving this car in the snow. It doesn't brake well at all. Also, when I make sharp turns, it makes a horrible clunking sound. I read in one of these reviews that it is an engine mount problem. I have to drive my Journey real easy it seems. Wouldn't buy this car again and would not recommend it to anyone.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Dodge Journey Suv in VA is:

$127 per month*