Used 2009 Dodge Journey SXT SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Dodge Journey - Consumer Reviews

2009 Dodge Journey SUV

View reviews for a specific Journey model:

A LEMON - RUN FAR AWAY FROM THIS CAR
By chrishawk8

2009 Dodge Journey SUV SXT 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I have owned this car for 2 years and have changed the BRAKES/ROTORS/CALIPERS 3X, and they need to be changed again! This car also has an INTERMITTENT START. I received in August 2014 a Recall notice from Dodge regarding the "ON" position in the ignition but in the recall notice it states "THEY HAVE NO PARTS AVAILABLE TO FIX AND WILL CONTACT US WHEN THEY ARE AVAILABLE". Well its nearly 3 months later and still haven't heard from DODGE on this issue - so the fact that my car still intermittently starts, DODGE COULD CARELSS! Today, the ESP traction light came on! In the first 4 months of owning this car, the thermostat and anti-freeze tank went out and had to be changed! THIS IS A LEMON

Favorite Features

NOTHING - can't enjoy this car long enough without constant problems

Suggested Improvements

Everything

DO NOT BUY!!!
By ccknezevich

2009 Dodge Journey SUV SXT 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

So I read the reviews before I bought my 2009 Dodge Journey in May of 2012. I have had this car now for 2 1/2 years and it seems there is always an issue. Multiple batteries, changing the brakes nearly every 10,000 miles, tires are awful, I have had to replace some type of wheel sensor, the key fob doesn't always works so sometimes my car won't crank right away. Electrical problems where the alarm goes off and takes a while to make it stop. This car has been a nightmare.. not to mention, the value. I still owe 15k and it's not even worth 9k. It loses so much value every year.. and for good reason. If you buy this vehicle after reading this review.. don't say you weren't warned!

Favorite Features

DVD Player

Suggested Improvements

Too many to name.

RUN AWAY!!
By jtdupuis

2009 Dodge Journey SUV SXT 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Bought this car brand new in 2009. I have had the transmission replaced once, I am on my third set of brakes and fourth set of tires. I just ate the cost to replace the motor mount, and now I am having problems with the starter. Needless to say, I will never ever ever ever by a Chrysler-brand vehicle again. I can understand having a finnicky vehicle, but this is too much. Almost $6,500 in repairs and maintenance in 5 years...mostly repairs. I'll never buy Dodge again.

Run. Run hard, run fast.
By gxbrxnth

2009 Dodge Journey SUV SXT 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

This car is a nightmare. Overheating, electrical issues, I swear this car has a mind of it's own. It chugs gas, eats brakes, decides if it wants to accelerate or not, and what is so bad about downshifting? You have to jam the gas pedal into the floorboard, and maybe then (and that's a very strong maybe) it will start to pick up speed. I am not sure what I'll have to do to get out of this car, but at this point, any risk is worth it.

Favorite Features

lol

Suggested Improvements

Gasoline and a match.

Everything that could go wrong, will!!!!
By mommaturkey

2009 Dodge Journey SUV SXT 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I purchased my 2009 Journey SXT in July 2008 and have had problems ever since. I have wierd noises coming from the back by the exhaust pipes, the car will not start sometimes until I move the shifter in and out of park, the brakes are horrible (having to replace them every 12,000 miles or so) and now the sound I had in the front is now a blown out motor mount. This car has been to the dealers so many times and they could never figure out any of the problems. Once it is paid for, I am selling it!! No more "US" made cars for me!! Oh and I get shocked every time I get in and out of the car!!

Favorite Features

Satellite radio, the name

Suggested Improvements

Brakes, electrical