Used 2009 Dodge Journey SE SUV Consumer Reviews - 48 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Dodge Journey SUV - Consumer Reviews

2009 Dodge Journey SUV

View reviews for a specific Journey model:

melted spark plugs
By Todd

2009 Dodge Journey SUV SE 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

This is my parents car. 1rst problem as with many other vehicles it's the first model year. biggest issue happened while driving them on a moderate trip (a few hundred mile round trip) the car started losing power. All gauges read fine. Eventually the check engine light came on so I got off the highway and pulled into a garage. the mechanic plugged in and checked the codes. Computer showed a misfire on cyl. 2. When he tried to pull the plug it would not come out. After some effort on his part it finally came out. To our surprise the end of the plug was melted away (gone, no electrode, nothing). He checked the other plugs which were fine. After cleaning the threads he put in new plugs and cleared the codes (all 1 of them). Car started and ran fine. A few weeks later it happened again. But this time 2 plugs were melted away and a 3rd showing damaged. They took it to the dealer, who said it was caused by overheating and stated that it would not be covered due to abusive driving, saying they should have shut the car down when the temp gauge went up. Only problem their is that the temp gauge never went up to show overheating nor did the check engine light come on until the plugs were already damaged. {Now for why, the cooling system has 2 thermostats an upper and a lower. The upper regulates the temperature of the head and the lower for the heater and the rest of engine. The upper thermostat went bad and stuck in the closed position, problem here is that the computer only has a sensor for the lower thermostat and the same goes for the temp gauge.} We called dodge and they were sticking to the dealers diagnosis and cause. In the end I had to have a new/used engine in. I explained the issue to the garage that did the work (obviously not the dealer {Browns of Greenfield, MA} and they seem confused or thought I was until I picked it up. They saw what I was talking about and agreed on the poor engineering/design. Buyer Beware.

Nice Car - If You Can Get It Started
By Dennis Schulmeister

2009 Dodge Journey SUV SE 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

For some reason, after passing the 50,000 mile mark, the 2009 Journey decides if and when it wants to start. Dealers have numerous guesses - most of which make no sense - but no one seems to have found a permanent solution. Dodge doesn't seem to care if the owners are satisfied or not. They have known about this problem for several years and have offered no ideas.

The dealers will tell you that their computer has determined that your battery is bad - even if you just spent several hundred dollars replacing it. In most cases it isn't the battery. For some reason the anti-theft starter lockout system engages and the starter will not operate.

Another problem (in my estimation) is visibility. The windshield pillar/outside rear view mirror location combination allows for a significant blind spot where whole cars can disappear. The very large mirror (great size!) housing should be suspended from the top instead of the bottom. Mirror would still provide excellent vision to the rear of the car and it would substantially decrease the size of that blind spot.

Bottom line is that the car is above average in almost everything including the frustration it causes the owner because of the unreliability issue. I suspect the resale value will come up quite a bit if the starting problem is ever solved. THANKS DODGE FOR MAKING A VERY NICE VEHICLE THAT BECOMES USELESS AFTER 50K MILES!

2009 Dodge Journey Complaint and Fixture
By lo64

2009 Dodge Journey SUV SE 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

My 2009 Dodge Journey SE was having problems starting. It got to the point that it stopped starting all together. I had the battery replaced and that worked for a while. I finally found a shop that diagnosed the problem and they replaced the:

Power Integrated Distribution Module RL692302-AE.

They got the part from the Dodge Dealer which cost me $919.00. but it was worth it to get this problem solved.

This have solved my problem with my Journey starting. I just wanted to let others know what the problem was for me. maybe this will help someone else.

Happy and riding again.

09 Journey probs
By jhernandez5

2009 Dodge Journey SUV SE 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Has anyone found a solution to why the Journey doesnt restart after its been parked? All I hear is maybe the Shifer, IOD fuse, some thing electrical.
I recently purchased a used Journey 09, in Chicago, one week later it didnt want to start. Same thing like others, key in, lights, radio good, but no turnover. Not even a choke.
Wait about 20 min then it starts. Put in Nuetral, then back to park then turn key and it starts up, sometimes.
What is the SOLUTION?

The Body style. roomy.

Recalls for Ignition problems please

nice while it lasted
By hannahbgreat

2009 Dodge Journey SUV SE 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

This was a high school graduation gift in 2009. I was excited to get a brand new car that I could depend on lasting for a long time.
Within 2 years, there was a "re-call" on the breaks. This worked out just in time, because I was looking into buying new break pads. My break pads were squeaking so bad, I had to do something about it. I don't think I misuse my breaks.
And surprise! One year later, they are squeaking again.

The interior parts are falling apart (just getting in and out normally). The tire hubcap/covering paint is chipping off and discoloring.
final complaint: there is too many bind spots. I literally have to get out of my seats to see all around me.
Very unsafe

cruise control spacious trunk storage space

improved breaks improved durable interior parts (siding on passenger chair) improved tire hubcap paint blind spots