2009 Dodge Journey SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Journey model:
RUN AWAY!!
By jtdupuis on 08/14/14 07:08 AM (PDT)

2009 Dodge Journey SUV SXT 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Bought this car brand new in 2009. I have had the transmission replaced once, I am on my third set of brakes and fourth set of tires. I just ate the cost to replace the motor mount, and now I am having problems with the starter. Needless to say, I will never ever ever ever by a Chrysler-brand vehicle again. I can understand having a finnicky vehicle, but this is too much. Almost $6,500 in repairs and maintenance in 5 years...mostly repairs. I'll never buy Dodge again.

Run. Run hard, run fast.
By gxbrxnth on 09/16/13 19:50 PM (PDT)

2009 Dodge Journey SUV SXT 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

This car is a nightmare. Overheating, electrical issues, I swear this car has a mind of it's own. It chugs gas, eats brakes, decides if it wants to accelerate or not, and what is so bad about downshifting? You have to jam the gas pedal into the floorboard, and maybe then (and that's a very strong maybe) it will start to pick up speed. I am not sure what I'll have to do to get out of this car, but at this point, any risk is worth it.

Everything that could go wrong, will!!!!
By mommaturkey on 09/10/13 14:42 PM (PDT)

2009 Dodge Journey SUV SXT 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I purchased my 2009 Journey SXT in July 2008 and have had problems ever since. I have wierd noises coming from the back by the exhaust pipes, the car will not start sometimes until I move the shifter in and out of park, the brakes are horrible (having to replace them every 12,000 miles or so) and now the sound I had in the front is now a blown out motor mount. This car has been to the dealers so many times and they could never figure out any of the problems. Once it is paid for, I am selling it!! No more "US" made cars for me!! Oh and I get shocked every time I get in and out of the car!!

MOTOR MOUNT
By allan3590 on 06/11/13 18:31 PM (PDT)

2009 Dodge Journey SUV SXT 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

We purchased the 2009 Journey back in June 2008 after 5 or 6 months heard this noise on the right front and told the mechanic about it they checked it and said it is the ware of the vehicle and left it at that when we would travel around on the highway and we would here this noise and after we got the vehicle up to 70 miles an hour the sound would go away and we left it at that well we have had that noise and finally in 2013 still have that noise when we would travel around at 40 to 50 miles an hour. my mechanic looked under the carriage of the car and advised me that the motor mount on the right side was totally collapsed and that is why we had this noise for the last 5 years . Cost $275.

Have a Journey Problem?
By mpnight93 on 08/12/12 17:45 PM (PDT)

2009 Dodge Journey SUV SXT 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Like many of you I have had problems with my Dodge Journey also....... Take a look at http://www.change.org/petitions/dodge-journey-s-defects because we all know Dodge will NOT fix them. Brakes, win module and more cost you and me $300 to $600 each time due to their defects! Please take a minute to sign and pass along the link above thanks, Mike

only a week after I purchased it...
By dionne25 on 07/21/12 12:08 PM (PDT)

2009 Dodge Journey SUV SXT 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I bought my Journey at 57K miles. After a week of purchasing it it was in the shop to get something replaced. Now it's been 26 days and I took it back to the dealership because the car wouldn't start twice. (sigh) I wish I would've read these reviews before purchasing this.

disapointed in this vehical
By jsteele1 on 06/13/12 16:22 PM (PDT)

2009 Dodge Journey SUV SXT 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

its too bad that this vehical isn't what was advertised to be. electrical systems are dangerous. even after the replacement of the electrical harness on the drivers side door, the modual for the power windows, locks, etc. melted yesterday. not just a small thing either. large areas of it on both sides were no longer recognizable. scorch marks on the "new" harnes as well as the insulation under it. the air bag alert light has continued to come on a number of times. the started modual had to be replaced. the air condition/ heating needed to replaced. 19" tires are special order and expensive. front wheel drive does not work effectively on my driveway. regret buying this vehical alot

brakes and tires, brakes and tires
By michand on 04/30/12 21:54 PM (PDT)

2009 Dodge Journey SUV SXT 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I bought the first Journey our Dodge dealership had in stock. I was excited because I planned on starting a family and wanted the room and comfort. The Journey has served its purpose but not without costing me a fortune. I have had 3 sets of brakes and 2 sets of tires in 4 years. The tires for my Journey cost $1200-$1500 a set, brakes and rotors cost $500-$800. Also small things like a battery replacement was $250 and I broke the valve stem on the tire and it was $150. I loved the car but can't afford the costly maintenance. We just traded it in on a Honda, we lost the room but have many less headaches when it comes to the upkeep of a vehicle.

NEVER EVER BUY!
By ccard3 on 04/17/12 15:36 PM (PDT)

2009 Dodge Journey SUV SXT 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

We have had our car for less then 2 years... We bought it in 2010 with less then 20,000 miles on it. In that time we have had to replace our brakes, Have our entire transmission rebuilt, our starter replaced, and now it wont start and the dealership does not know why. I am a stay at home mom and do not drive much at all, some days i do not even leave the house and this car is so un-reliable i can not even believe it! Its a 50/50 chance if the car will start or not, and if it does THEN i get my child ready and into the car, No point in getting him ready if we cant go anywhere. Cant wait to get rid of this car, Lemon, lemon, lemon!

Unbelieveably Disgusted
By heavysigh on 03/31/12 13:32 PM (PDT)

2009 Dodge Journey SUV SXT 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I bought this thing because the dealer told me it had the same engine as my chrysler 300. I have had so many problems they are way too many to mention all of them here. I have had 2 recalls and had both problems before the recalls so I had to pay and wait & wait. I never was reimbursed for one of them and now had to pay again. I have had problems with ignition, key fobs, security, transmission, brakes, windows, door harnesses, brakes again and more and more. It has left me stranded at the gas pump at 11 at night because of some mystery problem with radio waves (my god!) It eats brakes and tires. It's the worst vehicle I've ever owned!! I want to paint it yellow & put "sunkist" on it.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Dodge Journey Suv in VA is:

$124 per month*