Used 2009 Dodge Journey SE SUV Consumer Reviews - 47 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Dodge Journey SUV - Consumer Reviews

2009 Dodge Journey SUV

View reviews for a specific Journey model:

Nice Car - If You Can Get It Started
By Dennis Schulmeister

2009 Dodge Journey SUV SE 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

For some reason, after passing the 50,000 mile mark, the 2009 Journey decides if and when it wants to start. Dealers have numerous guesses - most of which make no sense - but no one seems to have found a permanent solution. Dodge doesn't seem to care if the owners are satisfied or not. They have known about this problem for several years and have offered no ideas.

The dealers will tell you that their computer has determined that your battery is bad - even if you just spent several hundred dollars replacing it. In most cases it isn't the battery. For some reason the anti-theft starter lockout system engages and the starter will not operate.

Another problem (in my estimation) is visibility. The windshield pillar/outside rear view mirror location combination allows for a significant blind spot where whole cars can disappear. The very large mirror (great size!) housing should be suspended from the top instead of the bottom. Mirror would still provide excellent vision to the rear of the car and it would substantially decrease the size of that blind spot.

Bottom line is that the car is above average in almost everything including the frustration it causes the owner because of the unreliability issue. I suspect the resale value will come up quite a bit if the starting problem is ever solved. THANKS DODGE FOR MAKING A VERY NICE VEHICLE THAT BECOMES USELESS AFTER 50K MILES!

2009 Dodge Journey Complaint and Fixture
By lo64

2009 Dodge Journey SUV SE 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

My 2009 Dodge Journey SE was having problems starting. It got to the point that it stopped starting all together. I had the battery replaced and that worked for a while. I finally found a shop that diagnosed the problem and they replaced the:

Power Integrated Distribution Module RL692302-AE.

They got the part from the Dodge Dealer which cost me $919.00. but it was worth it to get this problem solved.

This have solved my problem with my Journey starting. I just wanted to let others know what the problem was for me. maybe this will help someone else.

Happy and riding again.

09 Journey probs
By jhernandez5

2009 Dodge Journey SUV SE 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Has anyone found a solution to why the Journey doesnt restart after its been parked? All I hear is maybe the Shifer, IOD fuse, some thing electrical.
I recently purchased a used Journey 09, in Chicago, one week later it didnt want to start. Same thing like others, key in, lights, radio good, but no turnover. Not even a choke.
Wait about 20 min then it starts. Put in Nuetral, then back to park then turn key and it starts up, sometimes.
What is the SOLUTION?

The Body style. roomy.

Recalls for Ignition problems please

nice while it lasted
By hannahbgreat

2009 Dodge Journey SUV SE 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

This was a high school graduation gift in 2009. I was excited to get a brand new car that I could depend on lasting for a long time.
Within 2 years, there was a "re-call" on the breaks. This worked out just in time, because I was looking into buying new break pads. My break pads were squeaking so bad, I had to do something about it. I don't think I misuse my breaks.
And surprise! One year later, they are squeaking again.

The interior parts are falling apart (just getting in and out normally). The tire hubcap/covering paint is chipping off and discoloring.
final complaint: there is too many bind spots. I literally have to get out of my seats to see all around me.
Very unsafe

cruise control spacious trunk storage space

improved breaks improved durable interior parts (siding on passenger chair) improved tire hubcap paint blind spots

JUNK!!!
By lettau

Don't buy this car.
check engine light came on three times in one month, wiring harness replaced twice, window components, starter and then 2 weeks later the rack and pinion went.
Chrysler won't do a thing about it.
don't buy this car.
I went back to dealer and they wouldn't help either.

none.

improve the entire car or stop production.