2009 Dodge Journey SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Journey model:
2009 Dodge Journey Complaint and Fixture
By lo64 on 11/04/13 09:18 AM (PST)

2009 Dodge Journey SUV SE 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

My 2009 Dodge Journey SE was having problems starting. It got to the point that it stopped starting all together. I had the battery replaced and that worked for a while. I finally found a shop that diagnosed the problem and they replaced the: Power Integrated Distribution Module RL692302-AE. They got the part from the Dodge Dealer which cost me $919.00. but it was worth it to get this problem solved. This have solved my problem with my Journey starting. I just wanted to let others know what the problem was for me. maybe this will help someone else. Happy and riding again.

Run. Run hard, run fast.
By gxbrxnth on 09/16/13 19:50 PM (PDT)

2009 Dodge Journey SUV SXT 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

This car is a nightmare. Overheating, electrical issues, I swear this car has a mind of it's own. It chugs gas, eats brakes, decides if it wants to accelerate or not, and what is so bad about downshifting? You have to jam the gas pedal into the floorboard, and maybe then (and that's a very strong maybe) it will start to pick up speed. I am not sure what I'll have to do to get out of this car, but at this point, any risk is worth it.

Everything that could go wrong, will!!!!
By mommaturkey on 09/10/13 14:42 PM (PDT)

2009 Dodge Journey SUV SXT 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I purchased my 2009 Journey SXT in July 2008 and have had problems ever since. I have wierd noises coming from the back by the exhaust pipes, the car will not start sometimes until I move the shifter in and out of park, the brakes are horrible (having to replace them every 12,000 miles or so) and now the sound I had in the front is now a blown out motor mount. This car has been to the dealers so many times and they could never figure out any of the problems. Once it is paid for, I am selling it!! No more "US" made cars for me!! Oh and I get shocked every time I get in and out of the car!!

2009 Dodge Journey RT
By stadman82 on 08/07/13 22:14 PM (PDT)

2009 Dodge Journey SUV R/T 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

The biggest problem that I have had with this vehicle is the battery needing to be replaced. Very easy job. 15 minutes if you have tools. Everyone reading the bad reviews on this vehicle, remember is a couple hundred out of a thousands of vehicles. I understand the electrical problems. The starting problems with the key. Try replacing the battery in the remote.. Runs off a chip (needs power). Only complaint is brakes and tires. If your change brakes, spend the extra money and get quality like Brembo and a high quality set of pads. Will save hundreds in future. Tires no answer, suck it up. My family enjoys this vehicle and have owned it for 3 years 30,000+ miles.

love/hate 09 Journey owner
By skymel13 on 06/18/13 20:36 PM (PDT)

2009 Dodge Journey SUV SXT 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I bought my 09 Dodge Journey used in July 2009 that's where my love started for the Journey. Everything great- loved that it was a 3 seater and a v6 engine. My Journey took our family on many family outings. My hate for the Journey started around 40,000 miles where it started to have starting problems, everything powered worked and it would start after 5 minutes. At, 50,000 miles starting issues again more often and taking longer to start. Took to dealer 3 times in one month. Told it was the battery (wrong). Starter and alternator good. problem: WIN Module and FOB key price to fix w/o ext warranty $800-$1000. I have ext warr paid $100. Please current Journey owners buy the ext warranty.

09 Journey probs
By jhernandez5 on 06/13/13 12:09 PM (PDT)

2009 Dodge Journey SUV SE 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Has anyone found a solution to why the Journey doesnt restart after its been parked? All I hear is maybe the Shifer, IOD fuse, some thing electrical. I recently purchased a used Journey 09, in Chicago, one week later it didnt want to start. Same thing like others, key in, lights, radio good, but no turnover. Not even a choke. Wait about 20 min then it starts. Put in Nuetral, then back to park then turn key and it starts up, sometimes. What is the SOLUTION?

MOTOR MOUNT
By allan3590 on 06/11/13 18:31 PM (PDT)

2009 Dodge Journey SUV SXT 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

We purchased the 2009 Journey back in June 2008 after 5 or 6 months heard this noise on the right front and told the mechanic about it they checked it and said it is the ware of the vehicle and left it at that when we would travel around on the highway and we would here this noise and after we got the vehicle up to 70 miles an hour the sound would go away and we left it at that well we have had that noise and finally in 2013 still have that noise when we would travel around at 40 to 50 miles an hour. my mechanic looked under the carriage of the car and advised me that the motor mount on the right side was totally collapsed and that is why we had this noise for the last 5 years . Cost $275.

Pick a different SUV
By rogalski on 05/19/13 16:14 PM (PDT)

2009 Dodge Journey SUV SXT 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Look at any other model, this one has been nothing but headaches. The windshield has been replaced 3 times probably due to the angle of the windshield not deflecting debris. The gas mileage is terrible and the "worst" issue is the faulty ignition system, it has an intermittent starting issue that the dealer cannot seem to repair. I have had the fuse box software updated and replaced the starter. Dodge is aware there are issues but either cannot or will not fix it. Pick a different make or model you won't regret it.

2 Many problems Disappointed
By renesmi on 05/12/13 18:19 PM (PDT)

2009 Dodge Journey SUV SXT 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I really wanted this vehicle for starting my new family but all that started happening was problem after problem,I hate it now wish it didnt have so many problems.Have only 80,000 miles on my vehicle to have so many problems.

I love my Journey!!!
By schaff on 03/18/13 23:03 PM (PDT)

2009 Dodge Journey SUV SXT 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

We have had our 09 Journey since it's had 500 miles on it. It had a major think happen to it under warranty, I can't even think of what it's called. It was 1500.00 dollars though to fix it thank The Lord under our coverage. Other than that one time thing we have put brakes on it at 40,000 miles and new tires at 42,000 miles the one tire was breaking down inside but they didn't have to many more thousand miles to go anyway that was last Friday at 900.00 dollars. We put a black wind deflector, and a bra on it too. I love the dependability the car has, and I'd trust it to drive anywhere, and not be worried. I feel bad that so many on here have had nothing, but trouble with their Journey.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Dodge Journey Suv in NJ is:

$207 per month*