Used 2009 Dodge Journey R/T Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Dodge Journey - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Journey model:

2009 Dodge Journey RT
By stadman82

2009 Dodge Journey R/T 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

The biggest problem that I have had with this vehicle is the battery needing to be replaced. Very easy job. 15 minutes if you have tools. Everyone reading the bad reviews on this vehicle, remember is a couple hundred out of a thousands of vehicles. I understand the electrical problems. The starting problems with the key. Try replacing the battery in the remote.. Runs off a chip (needs power). Only complaint is brakes and tires. If your change brakes, spend the extra money and get quality like Brembo and a high quality set of pads. Will save hundreds in future. Tires no answer, suck it up. My family enjoys this vehicle and have owned it for 3 years 30,000+ miles.

Suggested Improvements

Brakes. Not up to vehicles size. Tires.

Recall your Brakes/Rotors Chrysler
By Looking elsewhere

2009 Dodge Journey R/T 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

After 31,000 miles we had to spend $450 on new front and back brakes/rotors. We certainly did not buy mopar parts again as they always fail and are cheap. Review after review and dealership after dealership have complained about this problem. There is even a lawsuit in California against Chrysler for these brake and rotor problems. When is Chrysler going to take responsibility? I have been a Jeep/Dodge person for 33 years and will look elsewhere for my vehicles due to the fact that Chrysler uses shoddy materials and expects their customers to just deal with it. Your customers should not have to pay $250 to upgrade their gps or $267.00/tire for your 19" rims on your r/t's. How sad!

Favorite Features

Gad mileage is great. Other than that. You have to pay extra, several times over, to finally have any favorite features.

Suggested Improvements

Take responsibility for crappy brakes and rotors. Don't charge your customers for gps upgrades of $250 and be sure you have more than one tire manufacturer for your 19"rims. They cost $267 per tire to replace. Have a recall, recall, recall on your tires, rotors and brakes.

GPS will cost you!
By Give me my Liberty!!

2009 Dodge Journey R/T 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

It is not made known to you up front, but it will cost $250.00 to update your GPS. After 1.5 years, my GPS begins to flash signs at me stating "Map Location Unknown". Funny, it is my home location and it recognized it for a long time. Finally, dealerships do not even know how to direct you in getting it updated. I had to call around.

Favorite Features

Chrysler has still said nothing about their horrible brakes and rotors or the fact that there is only one company that makes the 19" tires which will cost you $267.00. Thank you once again for not disclosing that cost to the customer. I am embarrassed to be a Chrysler employee.

Suggested Improvements

I could understand a $50 upgrade for the GPS, but not over $200. I can buy a new Garmin that will last many years longer with new upgrades for free. And that is what we have done. Give me a break and stop nickle and diming your customer. Will never buy a car with GPS ever again.

Brake problems
By cynthia

2009 Dodge Journey R/T 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I bought the journey r/t model in August of 09. At 12,000 mile they had to replace the front rotors and pads. Just took it back in at 16,000 mile they had to replace the fronts again and now the backs they say are shot. Had it in on several occasions before for electrical problems. Everything is fine otherwise and the r/t model is much better but the brake problems are getting to be too much. There is a class action law suit against Dodge for the brake problems.

Favorite Features

The car handles great. Has all the features and is great for the grand kids

Suggested Improvements

Put the truck brakes on this car and it would be 100 per cent better. And give a 20,000 mile warranty on them not 12,000

Unhappy
By andres

2009 Dodge Journey R/T 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

My Dodge Journey is a Lemon. The car has been idle for about 3 months now with no clear explanation as to what is wrong with it. It appears that all the electrical components in the car do not work. I am very disappointed with my first American car, although I was warned to be careful. I learned my lesson. Make sure you take care of everything prior to your warranty expiring, if not you will be paying dearly for unnecessary items that the dealer will tell "it is normal". File your complaints now and protect yourself.

Suggested Improvements

recall this car-refund our money