Used 2009 Dodge Journey Consumer Reviews - 320 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Dodge Journey - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Journey model:

melted spark plugs
By Todd

2009 Dodge Journey SE 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

This is my parents car. 1rst problem as with many other vehicles it's the first model year. biggest issue happened while driving them on a moderate trip (a few hundred mile round trip) the car started losing power. All gauges read fine. Eventually the check engine light came on so I got off the highway and pulled into a garage. the mechanic plugged in and checked the codes. Computer showed a misfire on cyl. 2. When he tried to pull the plug it would not come out. After some effort on his part it finally came out. To our surprise the end of the plug was melted away (gone, no electrode, nothing). He checked the other plugs which were fine. After cleaning the threads he put in new plugs and cleared the codes (all 1 of them). Car started and ran fine. A few weeks later it happened again. But this time 2 plugs were melted away and a 3rd showing damaged. They took it to the dealer, who said it was caused by overheating and stated that it would not be covered due to abusive driving, saying they should have shut the car down when the temp gauge went up. Only problem their is that the temp gauge never went up to show overheating nor did the check engine light come on until the plugs were already damaged. {Now for why, the cooling system has 2 thermostats an upper and a lower. The upper regulates the temperature of the head and the lower for the heater and the rest of engine. The upper thermostat went bad and stuck in the closed position, problem here is that the computer only has a sensor for the lower thermostat and the same goes for the temp gauge.} We called dodge and they were sticking to the dealers diagnosis and cause. In the end I had to have a new/used engine in. I explained the issue to the garage that did the work (obviously not the dealer {Browns of Greenfield, MA} and they seem confused or thought I was until I picked it up. They saw what I was talking about and agreed on the poor engineering/design. Buyer Beware.

Do Not Buy
By Megan

2009 Dodge Journey SXT 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

This vehicle is a hunk of junk. I purchased it used with 80,000 miles on it and in the first four months of ownership - the transfer case cracked causing the drive train to fall off entirely. My check engine light came on for an emissions sensor. I've also just been told that I need new rear breaks, a new ball joint, AND hub. I bought this car because my last vehicle had the engine seize on me. I was in great need and made a quick decision - never again. I'd rather flinstone my way to work then drive this car another month. On top of all the repairs that are required - there's also a recall out there for the airbags not deploying in an accident. Great. Will be trying to sell it back to the dealership because I'm sick of feeling unsafe in my vehicle.

Overpriced piece of crap!
By Jillian Robinson

2009 Dodge Journey SXT 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

**DO NOT BUY THIS CAR** I payed over 20,000 dollars for this car I have had it for 5 years and I have had to replace the breaks and rotors 3 times. I had to replace the tires three times, When it rains water leaks into the car through the vents and the lights and the car doors which then leak down into the floor compartments and has caused mold. The DVD player screen has not worked in 4 years I am sure due to water damage since water constantly leaks in. The interior is horrible everything is falling off and apart on the inside. The transmission is horrible. I have had to replace the fuel injectors twice. The car has cut off on me several times while driving. Occasionally the car does not start up the antifreeze leaks out which I have had repaired but it still leaks. Many electrical issues. Its a damn shame for dodge to make such a crappy car I am not rich and I have spent so much money from the purchase to the repairs and dodge does nothing I will never buy a dodge again!!!

Great vehicle if you don't drive. Buyer Beware
By Ray W

2009 Dodge Journey SXT 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

This car has a multitude of problems. Had to replace brakes after 20000 miles. Transmission clunks when backing up from day one.Dealer cannot fix or find the problem. All of the CD's flew out one day hitting my wife in the head. Cannot use CD player. Heater has not worked for 2 years. I have had many things done to heater , but only works for a short time. It is now in the garage for a new heater core. Cost is $1100.00 . Battery is under front wheel and is a pain to replace. dealer wants $120.00 to for labor to replace battery.Wal Mart will replace for no labor costs. Valve stems are brittle and break off easily.

The definition of Dodge is: TO AVOID!
By Sundevildaddy

2009 Dodge Journey SXT 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

All your needs covered.. Once a month!
Statement describes how frequently the car decides to start.. When she runs, she runs like a raped ape.. again, when she runs *sighs*
First it was the ignition recall: scary as h*** losing all power and control at 70mph.. About once every 3 months. Finally got the L25 recall notice (2 days after first highway-shutoff).. Delay after delay from dealerships on parts ("oh we have parts..just not all of them")..finally had the recall performed, 2 years later (ironically, after the Feds slapped them with a monster fine for dragging their collective feet over completing recalls).
Now our '09 Journey makes beautiful yard-art. 3 batteries later (and numerous, frantic/exhasperated phone calls from the Misses ) I drop in a Red top gel-cell.... Same problem 2 days later. Turn ignition and "clickclickclick".
We stopped using the remote/security because of the complaints we've read (and verified by a dealer).. Nope. Not the problem.
Now I get to tear the car down and trace/clean/dielectric and anti-corrode every stinking lead and plug on this beast (have you seen the harness? O M G!)
Not worth the money or the hassle folks. Avoid at all costs!