Used 2004 Dodge Intrepid Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Dodge Intrepid - Consumer Reviews

2004 Dodge Intrepid

View reviews for a specific Intrepid model:

I like it!!!
By DanL

2004 Dodge Intrepid ES 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Bought with 23,000 miles and have been on 3 road trips with it. Mileage is great for a larger V6, performance is smooth and ride is quiet. The trans shifts smoothly and the car handles a lot like a smaller and lighter vehicle. Mileage on trips has been around 27 with in town driving around 19 or so.

Favorite Features

Leather interior, sound system, smooth ride and handling.

Suggested Improvements

Rear window pillars are in a bad place to see when backing out of a parking space. Rear view mirror could be concave to see a wider part of the roadway.

Already Issues!
By Heidi

2004 Dodge Intrepid SE 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I just purchased the 2004 Dodge Intrepid for my daughter (it is her first vehicle) 2 weeks ago and at first she noticed she had issues starting it. I thought with 38,000 miles, it would be a reliable car but it has stopped on her while she was driving twice now! Found the camshaft sensor needed to be replaced. We also are looking at the crank sensor but I am frustrated with the reliablity of a 2004 car with low miles. My husband was upset that we purchased a Dodge and I regret our decision as well.

Favorite Features

The roominess of this car is wonderful and so is the body/design. Very nice, comfortable interior and fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Reliability is key. I wanted to purchase a US made car and am dissapointed with the poor quality we have experienced so far. In reading reviews on this make/model I am finding others who are frustrated.

For a used car, it's a great value for money
By T Abraham

2004 Dodge Intrepid SXT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I've had this car for a few months now. I've had to change the brake pads and some transmission components. Bought it for $6500. Have spent about $1500 since, but the car has been very very reliable since and has been great on long 17 - 20 hour drives. Plenty of storage. Great for families. Taut driving and handling. Plenty of power. Great car.

Favorite Features

Big car with a very decent mileage (I get about 26 mpg highway)

Intrepid SE
By David

2004 Dodge Intrepid SE 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Fun is where you find it. For a car of this size, the initial acceleration from a stationary position upto town driving speeds is enough to embarass quite a lot of boy-racers without taxing th. The V6 isn't especially powerful but, for a V6, is reasonably economical. The gearbox is well suited to the engine, actually using some of the engine rev range rather than just cruising or screaming like a lot of other automatic gearboxes tend to do. The size of the car, with it's armchair seats, it's air-con and soft suspension makes for a very comfortable ride, even on the rutted Seattle highways. Don't go too fast round a corner though - you might have to reverse back and pick up your wing mirrors.

Favorite Features

It's got a V6 that puts out 200 BHP, runs on regular gas and returns 25 MPG. It's responsive, smooth and quiet. Mine's not really got enough miles on for any serious problems to have surfaced yet though.

Suggested Improvements

This car would have been better if the suspension hadn't been quite so soft, as my driving went from mostly highway to mostly town. The trunk is loooong, but the opening isn't really wide enough to maximise the big trunk. Where is the hatchback version?-haven't Dodge seen how good a Mazda6 Hatch is?

So far so good
By froggerSJC

2004 Dodge Intrepid SE 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Grabbed this car due to an amazing deal I got. It does handle pretty well for such a large car. I lowered my reliability rating because of Chrysler's apparent lack of responsibility as far as the 2.7L engine goes. So far all is well, though I keep Mobile1 running through her. If my engine does fail, DC better be ready for a stink!

Favorite Features

Comfortable seats and decent handling. Great oil plug and filter positions for do it yourselfers. Huge trunk.

Suggested Improvements

For Chrysler to own up to their products, I found out about the sludging after I bought it. If they keep treating customers this way, I will not be a patron of theirs.