Used 2004 Dodge Intrepid SXT Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Dodge Intrepid - Consumer Reviews

2004 Dodge Intrepid Sedan

View reviews for a specific Intrepid model:

Strong engine, weak everywhere else. Not worth it.
By cfresh96

2004 Dodge Intrepid Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I used this car for primarily getting to and from school for a few months, and it had no problems. I purchased it at 95,000 miles. I didn't really have problems with it. I treated it like garbage and raced it, drifted, etc. It lasted, I couldn't believe it. I then started delivering pizzas to make extra money, and then everything came back at me. Again, I used the power of the car to get me where I needed to go quickly. I put on 18,000 miles on it in a matter of 6 months. It no longer can last 10 miles of driving due to it overheating.

Favorite Features

The heat is hot in the winter, and it gets hot quickly. Doesn't get terrible mileage (18-24) avg. Its very comfortable, the seats, the feel. The car is large, inside and out. Handles very well. however. Very sporty and tough. Tons of trunk room and leg room. The SXT 3.5 V6 is a very strong engine. I can put up a fight with V8's. Its only fun to beat the heck out of. Strong as heck.

Suggested Improvements

The lights obtain moisture often and go out. I drilled a hole in the bottom to let out condensation, fixed it up fine. Poor cooling system, overheats easily, poor location of water pump. Suspension is weak, very bouncy, doesn't last. Brakes don't last long, car is heavy. Poor build quality, especially inside. Parts fall off, break, windows come off the track, door handles dont work. Mirrors fall off, windows are slow to go up if they work at all. The get stuck in the winter or extreme heat. The air conditioning is lukewarm and it stinks terribly. Long nose makes parking for some difficult, I am used to it. Poor rear vision. Do not buy this car, not worth it.

Police Intrepid
By renrut

2004 Dodge Intrepid Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased this car a couple years ago at 139K from a state police auction. It was an unmarked car. Since then, I have racked up 51K miles and now have 190K on it, only having to replace tires, battery and brakes. Fun to drive.The 3.5 L Hi-output V6 is awesome! Edmunds and KBB need to include the police version on their sites as style choices.

Favorite Features

The torque of the car is fantastic!

Suggested Improvements

The location of the battery is the only grief I have for this car. Thankfully the only go out once every five years.

04 intrepid sxt 3.5L HO engine
By dennis williams

2004 Dodge Intrepid Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

bought the car late in 04 when they were phasing it out. car is great on road trips and plenty of power w/ the 250 horse 3.5L. religiously change oil every 3000 miles and obey all scheduled maintenance. had a cam shaft sensor go out 2 yrs ago; covered under warranty. had a recall last month for the crankshaft sensor; once again it was free. bought new tires last week after 63000 on the original goodyears.

Favorite Features

the exterior design; they dont make them like that anymore.also trunk space is huge along w/the chrome rimmed full size spare.

2004 Dodge Intrepid 3.5 LTR EXT
By Mark

2004 Dodge Intrepid Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

68,000 miles had to replace the crankshaft position sensor, 3 cam sensors, 3 batteries. Car would die and not restart. Would wait for awhile and then it would start. Found that the coupling where the positive battery cable met up at the jumper post above the air intake filter box had become corroded. This was causing the battery and cables to overheat. Flickering lights and total shutdown of the engine ensued. Cleaned the corrosion and replaced battery cable. Car runs like new.

Favorite Features

Comfortable ride. Cushy seating.

Suggested Improvements

Replace battery cable connections with corrosion resistant cables.

For a used car, it's a great value for money
By T Abraham

2004 Dodge Intrepid Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I've had this car for a few months now. I've had to change the brake pads and some transmission components. Bought it for $6500. Have spent about $1500 since, but the car has been very very reliable since and has been great on long 17 - 20 hour drives. Plenty of storage. Great for families. Taut driving and handling. Plenty of power. Great car.

Favorite Features

Big car with a very decent mileage (I get about 26 mpg highway)