Used 2004 Dodge Intrepid Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Dodge Intrepid - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Intrepid model:

Money Pit
By moonfairy

2004 Dodge Intrepid SE 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Dodge Intrepid on February of 2013. Iwas just under 100,000 miles when I bought it and in a year and a half of driving put about 13000 miles on it... it started leaking radiator fluid and then oil and power steering. I tried fixing those problems but never could fix the radiator, I couldn't get the fluid to actually go down into the engine as its routed weirdly and it started over heating. Next thing I knew I was getting a knocking noise in the engine and when we checked there was water in my oil. I tried getting that fixed but the fix didnt work and in three days my engine was shot. it has the craziest engine I have ever seen. I would never suggest someone buy this car ever!

Favorite Features

style of car is great. love the speed when it runs good its is amazing... Loved my car til it started becoming a money pit.

Suggested Improvements

Most definitely redesign the radiator system which is completely wonky...never seen anything like it and it seems to be in my experience and from reading reviews the main issue cause the engine to blow and create a spot in the engine for putting transmission fluid in it without having to fill through the dip stick part of it...and clearly label all fluid fill areas!!

Should Have Shopped Around
By sbrazee

2004 Dodge Intrepid SE 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Intrepid last summer and paid more than I should have. I have had the car for a little over a year and I have had to replace the water pump, radiator, thermostat, and the fuse for the transmission that kept blowing. I wanted a car that was roomy and could be comfortable to drive. Instead I got a fix and repair daily pretty much. DO not buy this car for the 2004. It's not worth it.

Suggested Improvements

Make the darn car more reliable.

Strong engine, weak everywhere else. Not worth it.
By cfresh96

2004 Dodge Intrepid SXT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I used this car for primarily getting to and from school for a few months, and it had no problems. I purchased it at 95,000 miles. I didn't really have problems with it. I treated it like garbage and raced it, drifted, etc. It lasted, I couldn't believe it. I then started delivering pizzas to make extra money, and then everything came back at me. Again, I used the power of the car to get me where I needed to go quickly. I put on 18,000 miles on it in a matter of 6 months. It no longer can last 10 miles of driving due to it overheating.

Favorite Features

The heat is hot in the winter, and it gets hot quickly. Doesn't get terrible mileage (18-24) avg. Its very comfortable, the seats, the feel. The car is large, inside and out. Handles very well. however. Very sporty and tough. Tons of trunk room and leg room. The SXT 3.5 V6 is a very strong engine. I can put up a fight with V8's. Its only fun to beat the heck out of. Strong as heck.

Suggested Improvements

The lights obtain moisture often and go out. I drilled a hole in the bottom to let out condensation, fixed it up fine. Poor cooling system, overheats easily, poor location of water pump. Suspension is weak, very bouncy, doesn't last. Brakes don't last long, car is heavy. Poor build quality, especially inside. Parts fall off, break, windows come off the track, door handles dont work. Mirrors fall off, windows are slow to go up if they work at all. The get stuck in the winter or extreme heat. The air conditioning is lukewarm and it stinks terribly. Long nose makes parking for some difficult, I am used to it. Poor rear vision. Do not buy this car, not worth it.

Do Not Buy Intrepid 2.7 or Any Other Chrysler Product
By derek_a

2004 Dodge Intrepid SE 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I wouldn't recommend buying any used Chrysler product with no warranty. My 2004 Intrepid 2.7 lived in the shop. The car couldn't go 6 months without needing a repair, but this car's biggest problem is it's cooling system when the engine is properly maintained with 3000 mile full synthetic oil changes as I did. I've been thru 2 water outlets! a radiator, a coolant reservoir, 2 thermostats, and 2 thermostat housings. Then the car's water pump, which is at the center of the engine, goes bad causing the car to overheat and blow part of the head gasket. On top of that, the car is now tapping. Tapping, waterpump, and gasket fix will cost the same as getting a new engine. I'm getting a new car!

Favorite Features

Nice looks, humongous full sized sedan, trunk almost swallows full sized bike, A/C blows super hard.

Suggested Improvements

Chrysler of America should've had the same good build quality as Chrysler of Canada!

Good big cheap car
By herogeorge

2004 Dodge Intrepid SE 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

The car was inexpensive when I bought it, comfortable, and roomy. Bought my 2004 Dodge Intrepid SE with ~15K miles on it and ran it 8 years until it had ~125K miles. Reasonable maintenance costs up through ~100K miles, then the bills started to pile up (transmission, water pump, etc.). Depreciation reduced the car's value to less than the cost of replacing the head when it broke, so I sold it. Not a great car, but Overall, I was reasonably happy with my purchase. However, I would be wary of one that has over 100K miles.

Favorite Features

I think the last gen Intrepids were among the best looking large sedans of the last couple of decades. Lots of passenger room. Big trunk. Great highway cruiser.