Used 2002 Dodge Intrepid SE Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Dodge Intrepid - Consumer Reviews

2002 Dodge Intrepid Sedan

View reviews for a specific Intrepid model:

Stay away from this car
By byrdnest

2002 Dodge Intrepid Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

We bought this car with 57K miles on it. Most of our driving is highway driving. At about 122K the engine went. I noticed the oil light was on and immediately took it to my mechanic. Due to a poor oil pan design, oil sludge had built up in the engine. Chrylser was aware of the problem. If you get this car make sure you keep oil change records. I was reimbursed by Chrysler for about 1/3 of the cost of the engine replacement. It was very expensive to fix. We paid almost as much for the engine as we did for the car. I am car shopping right now and will not buy another Dodge product.

2.7 is expensive to maintain
By mark f

2002 Dodge Intrepid Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Bought ours used and we thought we got a great buy. Then the problems started to hit us. Thermostat went out was $160 to replace it because a normal man without a car hoist can't get to it, REALLY! Then 1 of the 2 ELECTRIC fans that cool the motor went out. Then it kept over heating anyway. Come to find out, it's the water pump. It is made to leak a tiny amount of water as it starts to go out. Causing you to over heat. $600 minimum to replace as it is inside the motor. Since they have to take off the timing belt, might as well replace it too, another $125 in parts. My mechanic said to use 5w-20 synthetic oil only! Other oils cause build-up in side the motor causing them to blow!

Favorite Features

It's a comfortable ride.

Suggested Improvements

Dodge should stop making the 2.7 as a do it your selfer can't service this damn thing!

Will Never buy a Dodge Again
By jenghig

2002 Dodge Intrepid Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car used, and immediately started having problems with it over heating. Once I got that fixed, it ran great for a few more months, then it broke down again. This time with major engine problems. I've had the car 3 years and have only been able to use it for 2, considering all the time it's been in the shop. My brother had the Stratus and had nothing but problems as well. Would not recommend any Dodge vehicle.

BEWARE OF INTREPIDS 2002
By Joyce Tucker

2002 Dodge Intrepid Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Had this 02 Dodge Intrepid 3 months and the engine blew after needing a water pump at the time. Engines are bad news for Intrepids as stated on the internet and mechanics' opinions. Do not buy an Intrepid, there was no warranty whatsoever and this vehicle had the engine light on upon my leaving the parking lot with it. European Auto fixed it somewhat but then suddenly went "out of business" without giving me the $1300 check for promising to buy my Isuzu Trooper and issue me a check for it. Repairs were not completed by them on this vehicle and no check was ever given me for the Trooper even tho they sold the Trooper the first week.

Best car I ever had!!
By Doug

2002 Dodge Intrepid Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I currently have 213,000 miles and still running fine. No transmission or engine rebuild yet (knock on wood). Guess this car was built on Wednesday at the factory. Still driving it every day and honestly can't complain. I hope to run it to a 1 million miles+

Favorite Features

Roomy

Suggested Improvements

Better heat/air control. It seems like its one or the other