2002 Dodge Intrepid Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Intrepid model:
2002 Chrysler Intrepid ES (V6 3.5L)
By cheldon on 08/13/13 15:38 PM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Intrepid Sedan ES 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Bought car new in 2002. Now has 365,000km on a never serviced engine except regular oil changes and one set of platinum spark plugs. But, the engine fault light kept coming on. Noticed that it did so after a rain or during damp weather. Argued with the dealer who replaced all sensors, on-board computer, new wiring harness after telling me not to tell him how to do his job. Took Chrysler to court, won the suit, got all my money back that wasn't covered under the warranty and took car to independent mechanic who replaced the gasket between the gas tank and the car body and have had no problems since then. He said he had done so with many Dodge/Chryslers.

2002 Intrepid ES FWD 4-Dr Sedan V6
By d0dg3_l0v3r on 02/23/13 06:19 AM (PST)

2002 Dodge Intrepid Sedan ES 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this car brand new - had 90 miles on it. Have maintained it well. Has 225 hp and is close in power to my 2008 Charger. I LOVE this car. Still have it, had a custom paint job done. After owning this car for 11 years only issues I've had: Power window motors (under warranty) replaced. Sometimes the lights dim inside the dash area (might be from amp for speaker?) and check engine light comes on once in a while - might be electrical issue? I change the oil and the light goes off - so this car has oil changes more often than recommended. I know those things sound bad, however it has 70,000 miles and is very strong and beautiful still. - Intrepid Lover!

DONT BUY ANY YEAR INTREPID
By lemon2002 on 07/22/12 14:07 PM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Intrepid Sedan ES 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I have had two intrepids. My first used in 1998 was beautiful and fully loaded. It cost a fortune to have anything worked on because they put everything under the engine. First the thermostat out, water pump, belts since the engine was pulled. Got rid of it. Thinking they surely would have changed everything since the new design came out, I bought another. Fully loaded. Same darn problems as before but I'm sitting here with no A/C and its 105 outside. I think that is BS when an auto company knows it has problems but doesn't fix until government forces them to. Never a Dodge ever ever again. Treat your customers with respect and dont sell something you know is wrong.

Great First Car!
By darrenlp on 07/01/12 11:22 AM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Intrepid Sedan ES 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car last month as my first car from my grandmother with 82k miles on it. I've driven it before that as well, and it's a great car with a ton of features and it runs great! I plan on having this car for at least 10 more years (I think it'll make it that far). I highly recommend getting the 3.5L engine, rather than the 2.7L. I did my research, and that model seems to require a lot more upkeep then the 3.5L does.

Don't buy this car.
By mnessel on 11/11/09 09:05 AM (PST)

2002 Dodge Intrepid Sedan ES 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased used in 2003 with 10,000 miles. Needed breaks in 2004 and again in 2006. Automatic windows stopped working in 2006. Paint on bumper is slowly flaking off. Needed new transmission and cam shaft in August of 2009. Now in November of 2009 oil sludge has completely ruined the engine and car has only 110,000 miles on it.

Dodge had a WINNER!
By HMR on 08/19/09 00:04 AM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Intrepid Sedan ES 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Hello...I bought my Intrepid ES new in Nov. 2001. I was not sure about buying a Dodge, but I liked what I saw, and I was right. Dodge had a WINNER with this car! Only minor teething problems at first, but it quickly grew into a strong and reliable car. GOOD looking also. I recently had to replace a wheel/rim due to corrosion, which was causing an air leak in the tire. I have read where this is a problem common to certain styles of wheels. I would still have this car, but it was recently (8-2009) totaled in a crash. It took a SEVERE high speed rear end impact, but no intrusion into the passenger compartment! If Dodge still made this model, I would buy another one. HMR

Edsel/Intrepid separated at birth
By alex on 06/04/09 13:52 PM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Intrepid Sedan ES 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

out of the box ownership, pampered miles, lots of preventive maintenance due to be in love with car, I'm in the process of ditching it: second tranny is need it, OEM went at 60K now 100k and starting to act up same way...nothing isolated: rented a brand new magnun in 2007 did the same thing, needless to say drove it150 miles in second gear for a replacement.

Nothing but problems
By Rick on 09/25/08 14:58 PM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Intrepid Sedan ES 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

After reading all of these reviews from when people first bought their Intrepid I'd like to hear from anyone that still owns a 2.7 L. I bought mine used with low miles and thought I got a deal. Then the problems started. Water pump, timing chain, tensioners and on and on. I believe the 2.7 is a lemon.

Highly recommended - but hard to find
By Moparz3X on 06/07/08 14:11 PM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Intrepid Sedan ES 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased this car after my 2001 Chrysler Concorde was hit by an off-duty cop. The 3.5 L motor is the best. Great power, high MPG (25 MPG in Denver, 30 MPG on highway). Highly reliable and extremely comfortable. I wish Dodge/Chrysler hadn't quit making this car - it is much roomier than the Charger/300 replacement. I put 18K on the car each year and not problems whatsoever. If you find one that has been maintained (I'm a mechanic) you'll be pleased.

Awesome car
By Love my dodge on 04/17/08 15:13 PM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Intrepid Sedan ES 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

My dad got the car with 20K miles on it when it was 2 years old. and not a single scratch or dent. We never had any problems besides the O2 sensor went out. We took this car to Denver from Twinfalls, Idaho. and to Portland Oregon several times. Now that it has 110K miles on it I own it now and the power, looks, reliability, and Gas mileage is awesome. This car with the 3.8 gives most V8s a run for their money. Even after my mom wrecked it its still been an awesome car i have put 22,000 mi on it and had to replace the rear brakes thats all!