Used 2002 Dodge Intrepid ES Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Dodge Intrepid - Consumer Reviews

2002 Dodge Intrepid Sedan

View reviews for a specific Intrepid model:

2002 Chrysler Intrepid ES (V6 3.5L)
By cheldon

2002 Dodge Intrepid Sedan ES 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Bought car new in 2002. Now has 365,000km on a never serviced engine except regular oil changes and one set of platinum spark plugs. But, the engine fault light kept coming on. Noticed that it did so after a rain or during damp weather. Argued with the dealer who replaced all sensors, on-board computer, new wiring harness after telling me not to tell him how to do his job. Took Chrysler to court, won the suit, got all my money back that wasn't covered under the warranty and took car to independent mechanic who replaced the gasket between the gas tank and the car body and have had no problems since then. He said he had done so with many Dodge/Chryslers.

Favorite Features

Lots of trunk room - comfortable seats - good vision - handles very well with low center of gravity. Satisfactory gas consumption given the amount of mileage on motor. If everything else on the car was as good and as reliable as the motor, the vehicle would last for another 350k kilometers.

Suggested Improvements

Do not like chrome wheels - forever topping up air pressure. Better quality upper/lower ball joints would be a significant improvement.

2002 Intrepid ES FWD 4-Dr Sedan V6
By d0dg3_l0v3r

2002 Dodge Intrepid Sedan ES 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this car brand new - had 90 miles on it. Have maintained it well. Has 225 hp and is close in power to my 2008 Charger. I LOVE this car. Still have it, had a custom paint job done. After owning this car for 11 years only issues I've had: Power window motors (under warranty) replaced. Sometimes the lights dim inside the dash area (might be from amp for speaker?) and check engine light comes on once in a while - might be electrical issue? I change the oil and the light goes off - so this car has oil changes more often than recommended. I know those things sound bad, however it has 70,000 miles and is very strong and beautiful still. - Intrepid Lover!

Favorite Features

225 Horsepower, Comfortable ride, nice breaking, great handling, Beautiful inside and out, lots of storage room if needed, dependable.

Suggested Improvements

Electrical work needs adjusting or inspecting so lights in console and headlights don't flicker. Needs better window motors.

DONT BUY ANY YEAR INTREPID
By lemon2002

2002 Dodge Intrepid Sedan ES 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I have had two intrepids. My first used in 1998 was beautiful and fully loaded. It cost a fortune to have anything worked on because they put everything under the engine. First the thermostat out, water pump, belts since the engine was pulled. Got rid of it. Thinking they surely would have changed everything since the new design came out, I bought another. Fully loaded. Same darn problems as before but I'm sitting here with no A/C and its 105 outside. I think that is BS when an auto company knows it has problems but doesn't fix until government forces them to. Never a Dodge ever ever again. Treat your customers with respect and dont sell something you know is wrong.

Suggested Improvements

under the hood design, engine, make parts accessible like they use to. Stop making us pay for your poor design. Fix the water pump, thermostat, heat, overheating, A/C issues and engine problems you are well aware of. Do your job. Sell a great product at a great price. Don't sell a piece of crap because the wrap looks good.

Great First Car!
By darrenlp

2002 Dodge Intrepid Sedan ES 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car last month as my first car from my grandmother with 82k miles on it. I've driven it before that as well, and it's a great car with a ton of features and it runs great! I plan on having this car for at least 10 more years (I think it'll make it that far). I highly recommend getting the 3.5L engine, rather than the 2.7L. I did my research, and that model seems to require a lot more upkeep then the 3.5L does.

Favorite Features

CD Changer, Cold A/C, On-steering wheel radio and cruise controls, power windows, premium Infinity stereo (with 7 speakers!), smooth ride

Suggested Improvements

Replace side door speakers (they don't last long), more tinted windows for black leather interior

Don't buy this car.
By mnessel

2002 Dodge Intrepid Sedan ES 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased used in 2003 with 10,000 miles. Needed breaks in 2004 and again in 2006. Automatic windows stopped working in 2006. Paint on bumper is slowly flaking off. Needed new transmission and cam shaft in August of 2009. Now in November of 2009 oil sludge has completely ruined the engine and car has only 110,000 miles on it.

Favorite Features

Comfortable. Nice amount of interior space.

Suggested Improvements

Recall 2.7L engine. I can't even find anyone in the area who will fix it.