Used 2001 Dodge Intrepid Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Dodge Intrepid - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Intrepid model:

Excellent car!
By Marybeth

2001 Dodge Intrepid ES 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I like this car so much that the couple of times I've gone to a dealership to trade it in, I ended up deciding to keep it. I test drove numerous brand new cars, but couldn't find any I liked as much as this one.

I like the power and pick up when driving. I also love the style and roominess.

They need to keep making this model!

I love my car
By Intrepid fan

2001 Dodge Intrepid SE 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this car in 2002 and have been very happy with it. Kids were still little and with all the storage room, it was the perfect family vehicle. Also handy that you can fit a full size bicycle in the trunk! Now kids are both 6' with long legs and all that leg room in the back is a bonus. No complaints from backseaters even with the front seats reclined. I drive this car everywhere, city and long highway. I haven't had this much fun driving a car since I owned my '67 Camaro. Husband does all the mantainence and the engine is a dream to get to. I wish they were still making this particular styling, only with the better motor. We have the 2.7 and sadly, it is now going.

Storage, trunk space, window area, styling, wheel base, handling (great in the snow!), dash placements and guages.

Needed to get away from the 2.7 engine that they put into everything (beware the Stratus, 300, Sebring) and go with more reliability for the long run. My car now has 89000 miles on it and we appear to have the sludge/oil pump terminal illness that everyone is talking about. So sad.

I was in love
By flyboy843

2001 Dodge Intrepid SE 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Intrepid in November of 2001 and have had a great experience with the car. The ride is compliant but not soft. It handles nice . Has good power. I had done nothing to the car except for maintainance (oil changes, brakes and tires) for 52000 carefree miles. Then then the honeymoon was over. The engine died with some serious knock deep within the block. Spun a rod bearing among some other things. At 52k miles! Ended up replacing the engine. I'm now afraid to drive it but I commute 68 miles daily. The car runs nice now and looks exceptionally nice, but beware of Intrepids with the 2.7l engine. Find and ES or R/T model as they have different motors. I won't buy Chrysler any more!

The ride, the looks

Better motors and recognition from Diamler/Chrysler that they screwed up. They should help in engine replacement.

Long distance driving only
By ArtNickel

2001 Dodge Intrepid SE 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

This is the second Intrepid we've had and will buy another in the future unless Dodge comes up with a more comfortable, better driving car with better performance. We use the car for long distance trips (over 2 hours) because I have ankylosing spondylitis, a painful spinal and large joint arthritis. It has been driven in the Georgia, North Carolina, and Tennessee mountains and in Florida with equal ease and enjoyment.

Simply, the comfort of the interior and the ease of handling. Secondary is the fuel efficiency.

Make the tilt of the steering wheel more pronounced to increase ease of entry for people with bad backs.

Above expectations since purchased
By wjr

2001 Dodge Intrepid SE 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

The Intrepid was purchased to replace my European car used in multi-state selling. I was leary of the 2.7 engine not being strong enough to withstand long sustained trips but I was surprised. The car (loaded with 200 # of brouchures and tools)is excellent in any road conditions, any time of year. Balanced mileage is over 22mpg, on freeway alone I usually record 28 or 29 mpg with over 105,000 miles. Usual freeway speeds are 75. Biggest surprise is firmness on ice and the way the body style cuts through head winds. Road noise is more than I like when the surface is chewed up from studs. The 3.5 engine would be better for quickness from start but this one does all I ask and more.

With normal maintenance performed, this car is ready to go at all times. Cost of upkeep and repairs is zero beyond the required maintenance.

Rake on the windshield is too great for driving into the sun and the dash to shiny. Mute the dash and lesson the angle. Outside mirrors made about 40% larger for better lane visibility and backing