2001 Dodge Intrepid - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Intrepid model:
Stay Away
By jmadel on 07/19/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Dodge Intrepid SE 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

The engine had a tapping noise, couldn't repair it, Had to have the engine rebuilt by a third party company. Dodge will not acknowledge the poor design of the engine. I had a 94 Intrepid it was a much better car, better suspension, better everything, except transmission, my 94 tranny went at 69,000, and again at 117,000, so far the 2001 has 99,000 and tranny is still good, but starting to slip. If they put a 3.3L(like the 94) or even a 3.0L engine in it I would buy another. But I will never buy a car with a 2.7L Engine.

Be Aware of 2.7 engine
By TamiinIndiana on 06/26/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Dodge Intrepid SE 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Don't buy this car! There's a defect in the 2.7 engine and Dodge won't acknowledge. After 62,000 miles my timing chain needs replaced, but I can't find a mechanic in my area that will do it. They will only replace the engine and it would cost me overe $6,000 and a 6-8 week wait to find a motor because of the high demand. I had been very pleased with my car up to this point. But now I'm without a vehicle and still owe $8,000 on it.

Lotsa car for little bucks
By dhughes1 on 05/03/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Dodge Intrepid ES 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

ES with 3.2 and Autostick. I bought it used with 21K. More car for the money than most. I've put 10K on in 6 months; no problems other than a vibration in the engine compartment on a cold start. Much improved over my '96 Intrepid; quieter, many design improvements. My only real gripe is poor low end torque. You have to get deep into the throttle to make it really go (which it will!).

now I'm nervous
By AZ_buyer on 04/08/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Dodge Intrepid ES 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car because it got amazing reviews. I guess I didn't check well enough, because now that I look harder I see stories everywhere about how the 2.7 liter engine fails without any warning. Mine has been running fine, but I'm really nervous. I'm going to have to tell my wife to tell me about any clicking sounds.

Good reliable car
By Zipster on 03/06/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Dodge Intrepid SE 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I have not had any major problems except for the transmission slipping into neutral off and on when you were driving. After I took it in to get the transmission fluid and filter changed I haven't had any problems since.

not stock
By dkrhardy on 02/18/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Dodge Intrepid R/T 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Great car, very good performance. I've added oversize TB, exhaust, intake, and it will walk away from 300M specials. Now it has GREAT power and still good MPG. Time to move on to more luxury though.

Nice car
By Brad C on 02/17/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Dodge Intrepid SE 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Nice car , fun to drive . Only problem in 40,000 miles is it needed 2 transmissions replaced and a differential. All warranty work but still a pain. Had a 96 Intrepid for 5 yrs was a much better car than the 2001

Just above Average
By dongo on 01/31/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Dodge Intrepid SE 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Haing driven my 2001 Intrepid extensively now, I must say that is is a car that I intend to keep for quite some time. Maintenance & repairs were a concern with the much maligned 2.7 and it's associated "troublesome" transmission, but so far it seems to be practically nonexistant for me. Big car, plenty of room on the interior, decent pickup with the kind of gas mileage I get (mid 20's), I think I'll keep it for awhile. :)

Fun to Drive
By mjw399 on 01/13/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Dodge Intrepid R/T 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

A great car that is fun to drive. The performance is fantastic. The leather seats make you feel as if you are a part of the car. I truly feel it is nearly an ideal auto. It has room for 5, a very large trunk and super acceleration and braking(4 wheel disk ABS). It looks great to! The traction control feature is nice to have in a Chicago winter.

Middle of the Road
By supaguy80 on 12/19/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Dodge Intrepid SE 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

The Intrepid I own is a pretty fun car to drive. Have no major issues with it. I would reccomend it to someone who is looking for a good commuter car, but not if you're looking for something sporty.