Used 2001 Dodge Intrepid Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Dodge Intrepid - Consumer Reviews

2001 Dodge Intrepid

View reviews for a specific Intrepid model:

Most Helpful|
Love my Intrepid!
By azjoyce

2001 Dodge Intrepid SE 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

The only problem I have had was the cooling fans being replaced at 60,000 miles. I had a 96 and loved it, bought my 2001 with 12,000 miles on it and have had no problems at all. I love the air conditioner - the best- especially in Arizona! I think the gas mileage is horrible! Window has always squeaked - map lights go on and off by themselves while driving. Of course it won't do it for the service dept.

Favorite Features

Fabulous air conditioning. You can't lock your keys in the car. It's big and roomy. I feel safe driving it. Big trunk.

Suggested Improvements

Hard to see backing up and changing lanes - the design I am guessing. Gas mileage stinks.

2000 Intrepid RT
By Paolo

2001 Dodge Intrepid R/T 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned this car since 2001. I bought it with 14000 miles on it and drive it hard. The car is now 10 years old with 120,000 miles on it and I have never had anything on the drive train cause me a problem. The one area that has been a pain is the upper front sway bar link which has been replaced by me twic in 10 years. I replaced the brakes once so far but have to replace the front rotors and pads again. I also need to replace the front struts which is not bad as they are the originals. This car is in Massachussetts with its winters, the car is terrible in snow, and the worst streets and highways in the country. I would buy this car again in a hearbeat.

Favorite Features

Performance and handling

Suggested Improvements

none as the car is no longer produced

Nice ride, but utterly unreliable
By dfr

2001 Dodge Intrepid SE 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

The car handles well, looks nice, and gets good mileage but is a maintenance nightmare. I was stranded twice by the electrical system while under warranty. In the last 6 months, the car has needed a new oil tray and oil pump ($600) a new timing chain and tensioner ($1200) a new water pump ($800) and a new ais motor and pcv valve with odds and ends for $700. All these repairs were needed between 50,000 and 58,000 miles! Although all cars have problems, having this many on a car this young is completely unacceptable. Aside from the financial hardship, this vehicle's lack of reliability forced me to miss two job interviews and a vacation.

Favorite Features

Good mileage and handling for a car this size.

Suggested Improvements

Nothing else matters when a car is as unreliable and expensive to maintain as this. I would like to continue buying American, but this and other negative experiences have led me to the conclusion that doing so would be foolish.

GM sounds really good.....
By stacy29

2001 Dodge Intrepid SE 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Started out as a great car with 24k. I now have to replace the rack and pinion, sway bar links, and struts. I have excessive tire wear on the front passenger side. Quote from dealership for the rack is $1200. This is, by far, the worst car I have ever owned. I come from a Dodge family, Chrysler would have to do a serious overhaul of it's engineering dept. before I buy another.

Favorite Features

Oil filter easy to replace. Big trunk and roomy interior.

Suggested Improvements

Re-engineer the whole steering and suspension system. Find another place to put the rack instead of sitting it on top of the transmission!

Do.Not.Buy.This.Car
By Jessica

2001 Dodge Intrepid SE 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Listen to all of these reviewers when they say that the 2.7 engine will die on you. Because it will! Mine just happened to chose 5 months after I bought it. And replacing the engine was not an option because they are so hard to find and the fix will cost more then what the car is worth. Do yourself a favor. Stay away from this car!!

Favorite Features

It's kind of pretty I guess so long as you don't look under the hood.

Suggested Improvements

Gather all Dodge Intrepids and Burn them. It will save us all a lot of heartache.