Used 2001 Dodge Intrepid Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Dodge Intrepid - Consumer Reviews

2001 Dodge Intrepid

View reviews for a specific Intrepid model:

Wouldn't buy it again
By jackrelax

2001 Dodge Intrepid ES 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Car was bought new and had no significant motoric or electrical problems for several years. The first non-driver related issue (that I can recall) was a cooling fan stopped working. This came about in 2006/07. The alternator seems to be going out now, 2009. The oil has been changed on a regular basis. A new battery was required, for the first time, a few months ago.

Favorite Features

The exterior has an attractive design.

Suggested Improvements

Since Intrepids are no longer produced it doesn't really matter, but here goes. First, engine needs to be completely resituated. Everything is jam-packed in there. 2, the car is too long. 3, the rear doors are too long and can hit the person opening the door. 4, windshield/ roof are not ergonomic at

Do.Not.Buy.This.Car
By Jessica

2001 Dodge Intrepid SE 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Listen to all of these reviewers when they say that the 2.7 engine will die on you. Because it will! Mine just happened to chose 5 months after I bought it. And replacing the engine was not an option because they are so hard to find and the fix will cost more then what the car is worth. Do yourself a favor. Stay away from this car!!

Favorite Features

It's kind of pretty I guess so long as you don't look under the hood.

Suggested Improvements

Gather all Dodge Intrepids and Burn them. It will save us all a lot of heartache.

AWESOME CAR!!!!!!!!
By Johnny S. Garcia, Jr

2001 Dodge Intrepid SE 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this former rental car off a Dodge dealer's lot in Mar. 2002 with 35,000 miles and a MFG date of 06/01. My baby NOW has as of today's date (06/06/09) 218,171 miles on it!!!!!,,,It's a V6 2.7. Most of my miles came from highway miles. Read this and weep people, this car (MY CAR) IS AWESOME!!!!!,,,,I've done regular maintenance, tires, in fact, I went to the maximum width tire on 17 inch rims. The only major thing done on this car is the power steering pulley. It still has trhe orig tranny and batt. THANK YOU for this awesome car!!!!! I hear Dodge made a 2009 Intrepid?????

Favorite Features

The sleek low lookin sexy exterior design. The roominess inside, the ride, man the ride is smooth after all these yrs!!!!

Suggested Improvements

a better location for the cup holder and the middle console is too bulky and gets in my way of kissin up on my lady!!!!!

MAINTANANCE NIGHTMARE
By pstorm

2001 Dodge Intrepid R/T 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

The comfort and everything about this car is nice. The dependability is terrible. I payed $2500 for the car. i know a great eal , until i started having to repair it. in the past two years i have paid out almost $12000 in repair. if its not one thing its another. i have replaced the engine the torque converter, the brakes the shifter cable, cv joint( snapped when i was driving .... not fun ) struts. and the list goes on and on. I could have bought a new car for that. i know i kinda did it to myself but i can't get a loan to pay for a car.

Worst thing ever built!
By buckeyekitty

2001 Dodge Intrepid SE 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

This car is honest to goodness, the biggest piece of junk ever! We have owned it since 2002 & have had nothing but trouble. The brakes have been a major issue from the start. The air has gone out multiple times. Replaced the engine at 60k miles. Oil light flickers..been to 2 dealership, neither can seem to figure it out. Had to replace a window motor. Now the heater box needs to be replaced. Nothing is simple to fix on this beast. Nickle & dimed to death. Way too may issues for one vehicle. I have cursed this car for many many years & this week I finally get to junk it! Yea! Done with Dodge!

Favorite Features

The trunk is huge, nice for strollers.

Suggested Improvements

They should just close-up shop & go home.