2001 Dodge Intrepid - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Intrepid model:
50/50 Chance
By NYYFan on 06/21/07 05:14 AM (PDT)

2001 Dodge Intrepid ES 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

The Dodge Intrepid with the 2.7L engine seems to be a coin toss. If you get the good engine, the size and style of the car make up for its other shortcomings which include a higher level of maintenance issues. If you do get the lemon engine, the car is worthless past the magic 60K mark. I had been crossing my fingers, but sure enough, at 65K, my engine died. My mechanic said even if I wanted to fix they wouldn't do the job because the engine is so unreliable and hard to find because of the demand for replacements. Avoid this car at all cost. Buying an auto shouldn't come with such a high level of risk.

Nice ride, but utterly unreliable
By dfr on 04/08/07 19:07 PM (PDT)

2001 Dodge Intrepid SE 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

The car handles well, looks nice, and gets good mileage but is a maintenance nightmare. I was stranded twice by the electrical system while under warranty. In the last 6 months, the car has needed a new oil tray and oil pump ($600) a new timing chain and tensioner ($1200) a new water pump ($800) and a new ais motor and pcv valve with odds and ends for $700. All these repairs were needed between 50,000 and 58,000 miles! Although all cars have problems, having this many on a car this young is completely unacceptable. Aside from the financial hardship, this vehicle's lack of reliability forced me to miss two job interviews and a vacation.

Dodge Intrepid
By Ron808 on 04/02/07 15:30 PM (PDT)

2001 Dodge Intrepid ES 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I used to own an '01 SE intrepid with the 2.7L and I didn't have any issues with the engine at all. I did have to replace the tranny at 95,000 miles but other than that it was the perfect car. It got totaled by a drunk driver at 125,000 miles and I decided to replace it with another Intrepid. which I have now and it is even better. It is an '01 ES with the 3.2L fully loaded which i would recommend to anyone, the ride is so smooth and the size is great. The only advice I have if you are thinking about getting an 1998-2004 Intrepid is even though had no issues at with with my 2.7L engine, you should look for an Intrepid with 3.2L,3.5,or 3.5HO engine.

Roll of the Dice
By Pauly on 03/23/07 19:28 PM (PDT)

2001 Dodge Intrepid SE 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car used in Spring 2006 and wish I would have checked on Edmunds first before buying my Intrepid. I didn't realize that the 2.7L engine was a lemon. The A/C didnt work either. It started to leak oil last month so I traded it in for a 2006 Pontiac Grand Prix with the 3800 series engine and now I sleep a lot better at night. I really liked the design of the Intrepid but didn't want to roll the dice for when the engine would go. Interior also was nicer than my Grand Prix. If you are going to buy a used Intrepid be sure it has the 3.2L or 3.5L engine in it. DaimlerChrysler has known for quite a while that the 2.7L engine had problems with oil sludge build up but did nothing.

Excellent car!
By Marybeth on 02/20/07 13:10 PM (PST)

2001 Dodge Intrepid ES 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I like this car so much that the couple of times I've gone to a dealership to trade it in, I ended up deciding to keep it. I test drove numerous brand new cars, but couldn't find any I liked as much as this one.

I love my car
By Intrepid fan on 10/29/06 14:06 PM (PST)

2001 Dodge Intrepid SE 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this car in 2002 and have been very happy with it. Kids were still little and with all the storage room, it was the perfect family vehicle. Also handy that you can fit a full size bicycle in the trunk! Now kids are both 6' with long legs and all that leg room in the back is a bonus. No complaints from backseaters even with the front seats reclined. I drive this car everywhere, city and long highway. I haven't had this much fun driving a car since I owned my '67 Camaro. Husband does all the mantainence and the engine is a dream to get to. I wish they were still making this particular styling, only with the better motor. We have the 2.7 and sadly, it is now going.

I was in love
By flyboy843 on 08/16/06 15:32 PM (PDT)

2001 Dodge Intrepid SE 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Intrepid in November of 2001 and have had a great experience with the car. The ride is compliant but not soft. It handles nice . Has good power. I had done nothing to the car except for maintainance (oil changes, brakes and tires) for 52000 carefree miles. Then then the honeymoon was over. The engine died with some serious knock deep within the block. Spun a rod bearing among some other things. At 52k miles! Ended up replacing the engine. I'm now afraid to drive it but I commute 68 miles daily. The car runs nice now and looks exceptionally nice, but beware of Intrepids with the 2.7l engine. Find and ES or R/T model as they have different motors. I won't buy Chrysler any more!

Long distance driving only
By ArtNickel on 05/22/06 15:09 PM (PDT)

2001 Dodge Intrepid SE 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

This is the second Intrepid we've had and will buy another in the future unless Dodge comes up with a more comfortable, better driving car with better performance. We use the car for long distance trips (over 2 hours) because I have ankylosing spondylitis, a painful spinal and large joint arthritis. It has been driven in the Georgia, North Carolina, and Tennessee mountains and in Florida with equal ease and enjoyment.

Above expectations since purchased
By wjr on 01/11/06 23:37 PM (PST)

2001 Dodge Intrepid SE 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

The Intrepid was purchased to replace my European car used in multi-state selling. I was leary of the 2.7 engine not being strong enough to withstand long sustained trips but I was surprised. The car (loaded with 200 # of brouchures and tools)is excellent in any road conditions, any time of year. Balanced mileage is over 22mpg, on freeway alone I usually record 28 or 29 mpg with over 105,000 miles. Usual freeway speeds are 75. Biggest surprise is firmness on ice and the way the body style cuts through head winds. Road noise is more than I like when the surface is chewed up from studs. The 3.5 engine would be better for quickness from start but this one does all I ask and more.

Pleased
By Nathan Whitney on 01/06/06 14:09 PM (PST)

2001 Dodge Intrepid R/T 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

It has some pick up and is reliable. I heard so much negative about Dodge but I am very happy and will buy one again.