Used 2001 Dodge Intrepid SE Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Dodge Intrepid - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Intrepid model:

Cheap, but very reliable
By rmasters2007

2001 Dodge Intrepid Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Cheap (i.e. painted plastic bumpers), difficult to maintain (i.e. water pump driven by timing chain, $1,200 to replace). Poor quality (i.e. electric issues, plastic pieces breaking). 220,000 miles and still runs strong. Regular oil changes with good oil, never had any issues so far. It will die one day, probably because either being involved in an accident or an expensive repair.

Favorite Features

Space, space space.

Suggested Improvements

N/A since car is discontinued.

My first car
By mmg16

2001 Dodge Intrepid Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

This was the first car I ever had, and I must say I loved it. I got it when it was just over 100,000 miles and I had it until 118,000. It would be still running today, but a drunk driver hit it and it was totaled. It was a great, reliable car. But it is important to keep up with oil changes and services. The interior is very comfortable and can easily fit five people-six uncomfortably. The trunk is huge, which was a great plus. This body style looks a lot nicer than the old one, all in all I think this is a great car.

Touchy, but reliable and fun to drive
By inconsumer2011

2001 Dodge Intrepid Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

As of now, over 205,000 miles on original engine and transmission. Car is touchy due to hit and runs, and the lack of real bumpers. The painted plastic bumpers immediately missalign and the paint cracks. Car runs fine, except for normal wear and tear, no issues (yet) considering the bad engine reputation. But we keep up the maintenance and don't let an unknown kid touch our car. Too many specifics. Did you know that there is a second transmission fluid compartment which has to be drained and filled seperately from the main transmission? See? Gas mileage is great for a car this size, on the highway going the speed limit of course we get 28 miles, city and short distance drips 15.

Favorite Features

Seats (comfort), center console shifter, air flow directional control independent from A/C on or off, cancel button for cruise control.

Suggested Improvements

Engine, bumper.

The Best Car I've Ever Owned
By miss_m

2001 Dodge Intrepid Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I went to Dodge to get a new-used car as a Christmas present for myself and after not getting approved for a couple of cars that I was looking at, they had approved me for the 2001 Dodge Intrepid with only 75K miles and a 2-yr warranty. At first, I was not interested. Boy, am I glad that I took a second look at it the next day! After all, I was tired of driving my 1996 Pontiac Bonneville with no heat or air conditioning. With living in the desert, a/c and heat is a must! Besides, after putting about $1,300 worth of new parts and labor into the car, I was tired of dealing with my Bonneville. I'm so happy to be a new owner of my '01 Dodge Intrepid!

Favorite Features

The Dodge Intrepid has everything that I want, including the smooth and luxurious feel without the expense: a power-adjustable driver seat, electric power and windows, adjustable heating and air conditioning temperature feature, cream leather interior, big trunk space, four-speed automatic transmission, sport-tuned suspension and traction control, communicative steering, an "AutoStick" manual-shift feature, and a 4-disc in-dash CD changer. Overall, it has a pleasing balance of ride quality and handling ability. I am a happy customer and will probably go back to Dodge again when I am looking for my next new-used car!

Suggested Improvements

There is nothing that I see that needs improvement at this time.

Not so good
By Chris K

2001 Dodge Intrepid Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

When I bought this SE car in 2002, it ran great, no trouble at all for 5 years. At 86,000 miles and after spotless maintenance checks and oil changes-- the engine died (2.7L). I found out from many forums online-- that the 2.7L engine was total junk. The oil passages in it are microscopic which leads to oil starvation of the various parts. This is a design flaw! There is no warning! One minute the car is running, the next it stops. In my engine, the timing chain tensioner quit (oil driven)-- the OHC failed, leading to valve breakage-- result, total junk engine. For those of you whose engine is still running- you are extremely lucky! But beware-- your engine could fail at any moment!

Favorite Features

AS long as this car is running-- it is a dream to drive-- very comfortable and sleek, which is the reason why we bought it, UNKNOWINGLY!

Suggested Improvements

Different engine, anything but the 2.7L engine.