2001 Dodge Intrepid Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Intrepid model:
Cheap, but very reliable
By rmasters2007 on 12/04/12 04:01 AM (PST)

2001 Dodge Intrepid Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Cheap (i.e. painted plastic bumpers), difficult to maintain (i.e. water pump driven by timing chain, $1,200 to replace). Poor quality (i.e. electric issues, plastic pieces breaking). 220,000 miles and still runs strong. Regular oil changes with good oil, never had any issues so far. It will die one day, probably because either being involved in an accident or an expensive repair.

My first car
By mmg16 on 09/20/11 22:17 PM (PDT)

2001 Dodge Intrepid Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

This was the first car I ever had, and I must say I loved it. I got it when it was just over 100,000 miles and I had it until 118,000. It would be still running today, but a drunk driver hit it and it was totaled. It was a great, reliable car. But it is important to keep up with oil changes and services. The interior is very comfortable and can easily fit five people-six uncomfortably. The trunk is huge, which was a great plus. This body style looks a lot nicer than the old one, all in all I think this is a great car.

Touchy, but reliable and fun to drive
By inconsumer2011 on 01/31/11 08:08 AM (PST)

2001 Dodge Intrepid Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

As of now, over 205,000 miles on original engine and transmission. Car is touchy due to hit and runs, and the lack of real bumpers. The painted plastic bumpers immediately missalign and the paint cracks. Car runs fine, except for normal wear and tear, no issues (yet) considering the bad engine reputation. But we keep up the maintenance and don't let an unknown kid touch our car. Too many specifics. Did you know that there is a second transmission fluid compartment which has to be drained and filled seperately from the main transmission? See? Gas mileage is great for a car this size, on the highway going the speed limit of course we get 28 miles, city and short distance drips 15.

The Best Car I've Ever Owned
By miss_m on 12/27/10 10:01 AM (PST)

2001 Dodge Intrepid Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I went to Dodge to get a new-used car as a Christmas present for myself and after not getting approved for a couple of cars that I was looking at, they had approved me for the 2001 Dodge Intrepid with only 75K miles and a 2-yr warranty. At first, I was not interested. Boy, am I glad that I took a second look at it the next day! After all, I was tired of driving my 1996 Pontiac Bonneville with no heat or air conditioning. With living in the desert, a/c and heat is a must! Besides, after putting about $1,300 worth of new parts and labor into the car, I was tired of dealing with my Bonneville. I'm so happy to be a new owner of my '01 Dodge Intrepid!

Not so good
By Chris K on 09/25/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Dodge Intrepid Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

When I bought this SE car in 2002, it ran great, no trouble at all for 5 years. At 86,000 miles and after spotless maintenance checks and oil changes-- the engine died (2.7L). I found out from many forums online-- that the 2.7L engine was total junk. The oil passages in it are microscopic which leads to oil starvation of the various parts. This is a design flaw! There is no warning! One minute the car is running, the next it stops. In my engine, the timing chain tensioner quit (oil driven)-- the OHC failed, leading to valve breakage-- result, total junk engine. For those of you whose engine is still running- you are extremely lucky! But beware-- your engine could fail at any moment!

2001 Dodge Intrepid- SE 2.7 Engine
By Shawna on 05/28/10 08:57 AM (PDT)

2001 Dodge Intrepid Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

This vehicle has been the most reliable car I've had. My car is a garage baby at work and home. I purchased this car at 82,000. It now has 152,000. I have people coming up to me often wanting me to notify them if I decided to sell my car. So far, I've had front alignment work, (2) wheel bearings, intake manifold and the serpentine belt replaced. I just got that all done this year. I get regular oil changes every 3000 miles and a tune-up every year. The only other complaint is that I have an oil leak but I do keep a close eye to make sure there is enough oil. I had a Saturn that died at 148,000 miles before I got this vehicle which was crap. I think my next car will definitely be a Dodge.

i must have got the only good one
By jose on 04/10/10 20:42 PM (PDT)

2001 Dodge Intrepid Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

i have a 2001 se with 2.7 v6 and 123,000 + miles on the original engine and tranny. had to replace battery once and brakes as needed water pump at 100k did it myself and timing chain & guides while I was in there anyway. damn good car runs like new. I wonder if all the complainers ever heard of regular oil changes? I'll buy another one when this one dies if ever!

A ONE TON PAPERWEIGHT
By LAURA on 01/18/10 13:24 PM (PST)

2001 Dodge Intrepid Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased in 2002. A pretty good car. The only work it needed was routine maintenance like oil changes, tires etc. I've taken great care with it. The other day it stalled out on me and I had it towed to repair shop. Turns out the water pump failed allowing antifreeze to mix with the motor oil which fried all the bearings. I only had 79000 miles on it. I'm blown away that such inferior garbage such as this 2.7L engine can do this and is actually what you can expect to happen. I have an extended warranty but it may not cover the expense of a new motor since the warranty won't exceed the value of the car itself. I'll never ever buy Dodge or Chryseler again!

My baby
By Jaime E. Carball II on 08/04/09 13:25 PM (PDT)

2001 Dodge Intrepid Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Overall fun car, I had it since college graduation. It has taken me everywhere no problem. It is a big car but it handles just fine. Add on a few aftermarket products to enhance mileage and performance and you'll be set for quite a while. It's reliable, dependable and just plain fun. General maintenance upkeep, regular wash and wax and it to this day still looks brand new. I have the dark blue one and I still love driving it to this day. 8 years and still going strong, best vehicle ever made, best vehicle I ever owned.

Do.Not.Buy.This.Car
By Jessica on 07/03/09 20:38 PM (PDT)

2001 Dodge Intrepid Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Listen to all of these reviewers when they say that the 2.7 engine will die on you. Because it will! Mine just happened to chose 5 months after I bought it. And replacing the engine was not an option because they are so hard to find and the fix will cost more then what the car is worth. Do yourself a favor. Stay away from this car!!