2000 Dodge Intrepid 2.7L V6 4-speed Automatic Consumer Review - Do NOT buy!!!

2000 Dodge Intrepid - Consumer Review

Base Sedan (2.7L V6 4-speed Automatic)

Do NOT buy!!!
By bmharrison on

2000 Dodge Intrepid 4dr Sedan

On the surface, it looks like a great car and until recently, I loved mine. However, the engine has a defect and the timing chain will slip at anywhere between 60,000 and 80,000 miles and destroy the engine. The cost to replace is generally 5,000 and Chrysler refuses to do anything about it. It is a safety issue--the engine will seize while you're driving and you lose all steering and breaking. This is affecting hundreds if not thousands of owners at this time. If you want to confirm, do a search for timing chain and dodge,I now have a car that is worth nothing (it's not worth it to replace the engine) and I still owe $6,000 on it!

Favorite Features

Until the engine went, I really liked the car. Nice smooth drive and lots of interior room. However, all that is not worth the engine trouble!

Suggested Improvements

Chrysler needs to accept responsibility for their engine defect and dangerous driving situation (I think that loosing breaking and steering suddenly while driving constitutes a serious safety issue!) and either pay for the replacement engine, or recall it all together!