Used 2000 Dodge Intrepid Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Dodge Intrepid - Consumer Reviews

2000 Dodge Intrepid

View reviews for a specific Intrepid model:

Dodge, Intrepid
By Amanda

2000 Dodge Intrepid 4dr Sedan

I love this car. I'm a mom with two kids. I can still take two other adults with me easily and at times I have fit six people. I can easily fit three carseats across the back and not feel crowded. I can feel young, even on the way to story time or kindergarten. I've taken my beloved across country and she handles beautifully! Acceleration is instant and I can pass anyone. I love how I feel driving her too. I have a lot of pain, but I can drive long hours in this car and not die later. My old Saturn couldn't do that for me.

Favorite Features

The acceleration. Handling.

Suggested Improvements

Shoulder strap in middle back seat.

Spacious but unreliable
By Kelly

2000 Dodge Intrepid 4dr Sedan

Love the space and comfort of the Intrepid - hate the reliability. We had to completely replace the engine after less than 80K miles, were told it was sludge build up from poor maintenance although we run synthetic Amsoil and perform routine maintenance. Door locks jam trapping you in and out of the car without a keyless entry - told the rods are corroded and it is common, similar to the engine failure issues.

Favorite Features

Trunk space, comfort

Suggested Improvements

Lots of road noise, engine is a piece of crap

We all make mistakes...
By Disappointed

2000 Dodge Intrepid 4dr Sedan

Bought this car used in July of '05 with 90,000 miles. Looked sharp, interior was good. Engine was a disaster. Oil pressure sending unit was bad, engine burned oil (1 qt. every 1000 miles), had to do extensive engine work 3 months later, and now a valve has blown, throwing off timing and other things. No longer driveable; getting a salvage/rebuilt engine for these cars is difficult to the apparent very high demand for replacement engines. Expensive, too. It looks pretty, but I can get lawn ornaments for much cheaper somewhere else. It died at almost 116000, but from what I hear, that's pretty long-lived for an Intrepid.

Favorite Features

Good, simplistic interior. Easy to drive, huge trunk. I liked the looks, but that's a subjective thing.

Suggested Improvements

Um... make an engine that isn't garbage? Stay away, kids. The low resale value on these cars DOES NOT make these cars a good deal.

My used Intrepid
By Tom

2000 Dodge Intrepid 4dr Sedan

I needed a larger auto as my kids were getting too big for the back seat of Prizm. The Intrepid has fantastic legroom, drives well, is comfortable for trips and gets very good mileage (a real need) for a large car. I have had NO mechanical trouble, perform maintenance myself and have been pleased with the car. I do not regret purchasing this auto at all.

Favorite Features

The room and fuel mileage are my favorite features. The styling is a plus too.

Suggested Improvements

I am not fond of bucket seats and floor mounted shift lever's with auto transmissions. I would prefer a split bench for the additional room. I also would prefer rear seat cup holders and better front seat cup holders. A better design for the thermostat and water neck location would have been wise.

Excellent Car
By Dan

2000 Dodge Intrepid ES 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car as my first vehicle and I absalutly love it. It has been very, very reliable and have not had any problems with it. I have owned the car for a little more than a year and it has been treating me very well. My Dodge has almost 100,000 miles and it runs like brand new. It has never leaked ANYTHING since I have had it. The gas mileage is not as bad as I thought considering that it is a big car. The turning radius is excellent and the confort if great. Its an awsome family sedan and I could not think of anything bad to say about it. The interior and interior design was well thought up and I am very satisified with my car. If they still made them I would by another.