2000 Dodge Intrepid - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Intrepid model:
Wish I hadn't bought it!
By wish I hadn't bought on 11/06/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Dodge Intrepid ES 4dr Sedan

I bought it new off the lot and had lots of problems with the dealer. Two days after I picked it up, the driver power seat fell into the back seat. Needless to say I should have learned my lesson then. I have now had three transmissions, 2 transmission mother boards, 1 transmission fuel something, all the seals around doors and trunk replaced and the air conditioning system replaced twice!!!! And if you can believe it Dodge won't buy it back!!!! I drive mostly highway miles and this car is not reliable. The transmission still slips and they claim it is just fine.

Beautiful..with a few quirks
By sensitive ears on 10/30/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Dodge Intrepid ES 4dr Sedan

I bought my red Intrepid (new) based on looks, but even my husband commented on what a wonderful car it has been. (Whew) My biggest gripe is the unusual noise the a/c gives out when the car is in motion: at takeoff, and then almost every 17 seconds it whistles/rattles for about 2 to 3 seconds until you come to a stop. I have driven in two other similar Intrepids and both did this same thing; other cheaper Dodges I've owned never did this. I also had problems with the front overhead light spooking us out by coming on of its own volition while driving; this was taken care of under warranty. Paint seemed to chip almost immediately, exposing the metal.

Finally as fast as it looks
By mr sulu on 10/16/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Dodge Intrepid R/T 4dr Sedan

Was the best looking sedan , R/T made it fun. Had 99 base model , nice but slow.R/T handles like smaller car , goes like stink.Big ABS brakes bail you out of moments of inattention and bad weather. Slap snow tires on and also great in snow ( remove 17" summers )17" Michelins wear fast and are very expensive.

Be Very Careful !!
By phuston on 10/09/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Dodge Intrepid 4dr Sedan

My 2000 Intrepid has 80,003 miles, almost all highway. I have all receipts for scheduled maintenance. The engine blew today- and I mean blew up. The horrific sound of metal scraping on metal. Luckily, I have a mechanic in the family that can replace. The dealer wanted $ 400 to look inside and over $ 3,000 to replace. I have looked at numerous web sites showing customer dissatisfaction with the 2.7 engine, problems with blown engines over 70 K miles etc. I have owned 4 Dodge/Chryslers and this will be the last.

2000 Dodge Problems
By berrypie on 09/16/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Dodge Intrepid 4dr Sedan

We purchased this car used in March with 23,000 miles on it-now at 29,900 miles. Clunking noise on right front tire, needs link bar and front end alignment. Fuel sending unit went bad last week and ran out of gas! Fuel gauge works but stops at 1/4 tank. Transmission slips when stopping and starting. Dealer replaced door and trunk seals at no charge. Front windows make obnoxious squeaking noise when rolled up. Worried about 2.7 liter engine.

impressive
By isaac mitchell on 09/02/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Dodge Intrepid ES 4dr Sedan

Driving the Dodge Intrepid has proven to be an expected pleasure.The Intrepid not only shares the same chassis as it's Chrysler cousins,(Concorde,300 M),but also the sam good looks and ride. Since it seems to be just a little lighter,it does not exibit the oversteering of it's larger cousins, but it does have plenty of open road power,especially the passing gear,and it;s style is very chic and unque ,hence the many compliment I have recieved and the many models I have observed on the road. Chrysler style and looks, for Dodge money.

Her Car by kevin
By kv on 08/14/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Dodge Intrepid ES 4dr Sedan

We purchased an ES model with 24,000 miles 10 months ago. It now has 55,000 on it and not once back to the dealership. We just love the car. We bought it for the roominess as we need to fit 3 car seats. I would not have bought a car this size without the larger engine. We traded in a Stratus so we were use to the blocked rear view and the low nose. I also think the value is there. The blue book even with our extra mileage deduction, is still around what we paid. Maybe used is a better value than new. I am also impressed with the quality or this wouldn't be our 3rd Dodge. I'm glad my wife chose the Intrepid.

looks cool....needs improvement
By Intrepid mama on 08/12/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Dodge Intrepid ES 4dr Sedan

Have had many problems with my Intrepid, including replacing all factory seals around doors at <10000 miles, the ENTIRE rack & pinion steering system and another component I can't remember replaced at ~30000 (thank goodness for warranties!!) Then a pesky burning oil smell that turned out to be a blown rear seal near the cam shaft....several trips to the dealers to figure this out. I'm ready to get out of the car, but now I find out I'm hopelessly upside down despite 0% financing!!! Love the performance, looks and style, but am scared to death for the lack of realiability. I think I got a bad car....don't you?

Don't want to jinx myself
By Intrepid-Fan on 08/11/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Dodge Intrepid 4dr Sedan

I know that as soon as I submit this something will happen to my car, but I wanted to share my experience. We’ve had our Intrepid almost 3 years and it's been great. Had 2 problems and they were both under warranty: the door seals came loose (a problem for many owners) and the wind dam. Compared it to the Accord, Camry, and Maxima. The other three could not stacked up on value: price + engine + storage + mileage. For those concerned about resale value you really need to consider keeping your car longer. It handles and accelerates well, changes gears at the right time, has great trunk space. It's a big car that doesn't ride like a land yacht.

So far, not bad....
By DandJ on 07/26/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Dodge Intrepid 4dr Sedan

Have owned for 1 year. No major problems thus far, a few minor ones. Check engine light after one month, covered by warranty. Clunking noise in front end, link bar. Front rotors warped at 40,000 mi., replaced. That's it so far for repairs. Windshield fogs up more than any vehicle we've had. Ditto for static buildup, touching doors while exiting will light you up every time. Windows squeak horribly while going up. Transmission can shift a bit rough when cold. Engine has performed well, but I'm nervous about 2.7's shady history. Many failures, particularly in '98's and '99's. Very prone to sludging up, make certain oil changes are done on time, every time.