2000 Dodge Intrepid Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Dodge Intrepid - Consumer Reviews

2000 Intrepid Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Intrepid model:

Sort Reviews by

Wish I hadn't bought it!
By wish I hadn't bought

2000 Dodge Intrepid ES 4dr Sedan

I bought it new off the lot and had lots of problems with the dealer. Two days after I picked it up, the driver power seat fell into the back seat. Needless to say I should have learned my lesson then. I have now had three transmissions, 2 transmission mother boards, 1 transmission fuel something, all the seals around doors and trunk replaced and the air conditioning system replaced twice!!!! And if you can believe it Dodge won't buy it back!!!! I drive mostly highway miles and this car is not reliable. The transmission still slips and they claim it is just fine.

Favorite Features

The seats are really comfortable and the styling is very hip. It looks like a really good car from the inside and outside!

Suggested Improvements

THE ENGINE!!!!! and basically the entire car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Best customer service at the dealers and Dodge headquarters.

Beautiful..with a few quirks
By sensitive ears

2000 Dodge Intrepid ES 4dr Sedan

I bought my red Intrepid (new) based on looks, but even my husband commented on what a wonderful car it has been. (Whew) My biggest gripe is the unusual noise the a/c gives out when the car is in motion: at takeoff, and then almost every 17 seconds it whistles/rattles for about 2 to 3 seconds until you come to a stop. I have driven in two other similar Intrepids and both did this same thing; other cheaper Dodges I've owned never did this. I also had problems with the front overhead light spooking us out by coming on of its own volition while driving; this was taken care of under warranty. Paint seemed to chip almost immediately, exposing the metal.

Favorite Features

The streamlined look...keep it!//The roomy back seat//cup holders in back (as well as front)//

Suggested Improvements

a/c system works great but would like it revamped to eliminate unusual noise//design of seals around doors//better acceleration (and I bought the ES for the larger engine option)//

Finally as fast as it looks
By mr sulu

2000 Dodge Intrepid R/T 4dr Sedan

Was the best looking sedan , R/T made it fun. Had 99 base model , nice but slow.R/T handles like smaller car , goes like stink.Big ABS brakes bail you out of moments of inattention and bad weather. Slap snow tires on and also great in snow ( remove 17" summers )17" Michelins wear fast and are very expensive.

Favorite Features

3.5 HO engine , handling and most of all- very comfortable.

Suggested Improvements

Needs more efficient transmission , too much power lost between engine and tires. 244 Horses should dyno better than 175 - 180 at the wheels.

Be Very Careful !!
By phuston

2000 Dodge Intrepid 4dr Sedan

My 2000 Intrepid has 80,003 miles, almost all highway. I have all receipts for scheduled maintenance. The engine blew today- and I mean blew up. The horrific sound of metal scraping on metal. Luckily, I have a mechanic in the family that can replace. The dealer wanted $ 400 to look inside and over $ 3,000 to replace. I have looked at numerous web sites showing customer dissatisfaction with the 2.7 engine, problems with blown engines over 70 K miles etc. I have owned 4 Dodge/Chryslers and this will be the last.

Favorite Features

Large trunk.

Suggested Improvements

The engine.

2000 Dodge Problems
By berrypie

2000 Dodge Intrepid 4dr Sedan

We purchased this car used in March with 23,000 miles on it-now at 29,900 miles. Clunking noise on right front tire, needs link bar and front end alignment. Fuel sending unit went bad last week and ran out of gas! Fuel gauge works but stops at 1/4 tank. Transmission slips when stopping and starting. Dealer replaced door and trunk seals at no charge. Front windows make obnoxious squeaking noise when rolled up. Worried about 2.7 liter engine.

Favorite Features

Huge interior space & trunk. Plenty of room. Love the vent in the back seat for the kids to have air or heat. Nice keyless remote and car starter. Spouse is 6'2" and has plenty of leg room.

Suggested Improvements

Many improvements need to be made. In order for Dodge/Chrysler to improve their reputation, they need to stand behind their products and vehicles with a longer warranty. Not just a powertrain warranty.

impressive
By isaac mitchell

2000 Dodge Intrepid ES 4dr Sedan

Driving the Dodge Intrepid has proven to be an expected pleasure.The Intrepid not only shares the same chassis as it's Chrysler cousins,(Concorde,300 M),but also the sam good looks and ride. Since it seems to be just a little lighter,it does not exibit the oversteering of it's larger cousins, but it does have plenty of open road power,especially the passing gear,and it;s style is very chic and unque ,hence the many compliment I have recieved and the many models I have observed on the road. Chrysler style and looks, for Dodge money.

Favorite Features

Exterior aerodynamic styling is breath taking.Hope Dodge does not change it soon

Suggested Improvements

More basic upgrades such as wood veneer accent paneling ,ie. 300 M,and moon roofs

Her Car by kevin
By kv

2000 Dodge Intrepid ES 4dr Sedan

We purchased an ES model with 24,000 miles 10 months ago. It now has 55,000 on it and not once back to the dealership. We just love the car. We bought it for the roominess as we need to fit 3 car seats. I would not have bought a car this size without the larger engine. We traded in a Stratus so we were use to the blocked rear view and the low nose. I also think the value is there. The blue book even with our extra mileage deduction, is still around what we paid. Maybe used is a better value than new. I am also impressed with the quality or this wouldn't be our 3rd Dodge. I'm glad my wife chose the Intrepid.

Favorite Features

The 4-disc CD changer is a nice option. The built in garage door opener. The HUGE trunk. The sporty drive. What a performer.

Suggested Improvements

1)For the ES model, I wish it had come with standard abs & traction control. 2)A place up front that can hold a bag of chips. 3)Larger gas tank.

looks cool....needs improvement
By Intrepid mama

2000 Dodge Intrepid ES 4dr Sedan

Have had many problems with my Intrepid, including replacing all factory seals around doors at <10000 miles, the ENTIRE rack & pinion steering system and another component I can't remember replaced at ~30000 (thank goodness for warranties!!) Then a pesky burning oil smell that turned out to be a blown rear seal near the cam shaft....several trips to the dealers to figure this out. I'm ready to get out of the car, but now I find out I'm hopelessly upside down despite 0% financing!!! Love the performance, looks and style, but am scared to death for the lack of realiability. I think I got a bad car....don't you?

Favorite Features

Love the look, especially with factory chromed wheels the dealer added. Seats are comfortable. Love the rockiin' Infinity stereo, but have managed to warp/distort the speakers already. My Intrepid is loaded with all the toys, all of which I enjoy.

Suggested Improvements

Please improve the quality of your product, Dodge!! This will probably be the last one I own. Wish the resale was higher.

Don't want to jinx myself
By Intrepid-Fan

2000 Dodge Intrepid 4dr Sedan

I know that as soon as I submit this something will happen to my car, but I wanted to share my experience. Weve had our Intrepid almost 3 years and it's been great. Had 2 problems and they were both under warranty: the door seals came loose (a problem for many owners) and the wind dam. Compared it to the Accord, Camry, and Maxima. The other three could not stacked up on value: price + engine + storage + mileage. For those concerned about resale value you really need to consider keeping your car longer. It handles and accelerates well, changes gears at the right time, has great trunk space. It's a big car that doesn't ride like a land yacht.

Favorite Features

Trunk space, bench seat that acts like bucket seats, acceleration, smooth handling at high speeds, easy access to oil pan and filter, stylish design, ample backseat legroom, and small turning radius. Its also pretty easy to parallel park, especially for a big car.

Suggested Improvements

Dual climate control and access, reduce road noise, rear wiper, cruise control deceleration.

Love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
By Carol Ann

2000 Dodge Intrepid ES 4dr Sedan

Ok. I have a 94 Intrepid. We loved it so much we kept it and bought a 2000 Intrepid. What a sleek design. And roomy too. Great family car. Doesn't give you the "mommy" look. Very sporty feeling to it.

Favorite Features

The sporty feeling when you drive it.

Suggested Improvements

The stereo system isn't as good as the one in my 94 Intepid.