2000 Dodge Intrepid - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Intrepid model:
Such a disappointment
By adrianita458 on 04/02/10 08:36 AM (PDT)

2000 Dodge Intrepid 4dr Sedan

I bought this car yesterday at a car auction. i knew that buying any car at an auction, i was going to have a lot of things to fix but i never expected anything like this. I left the car auction and was on my way home with the car and i kept hearing this knocking noise. it kept getting louder and louder so i was going to take it to my mechanic when the car practically just quit on me. would start at first but made awful noise. my mechanic said engine (2.7) is bad! so i'm stuck. didn't even get the car home. reviews on this car is terrible! take a look before buying. i'm going to try & get a 3.2 engine. don't know if it will work though. wish i would have known before i got it..

I love my 2000 Dodge Intrepid
By Cornelius Daly on 02/21/10 22:00 PM (PST)

2000 Dodge Intrepid ES 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car in the fall of 2003 as I had owned another car that failed . So the Dealer replaced it with the Dodge Intrepid. Now this car is loaded and at the time of purchase it had 78000 miles on it. Other then the general maintenance and the origional parts like Starter, Belts,Battery, 2 pullys, Alternator, Brake Pads, and tires. I haven't had any other trouble. The car came equipped witg an Auto-Stick and A/C and cloth Interior, and AM/FM Stereo Cassette/CD Power Windows, Mirrors, Locks, Alarm,Power Steering, Brakes, Bucket Seats, Fog Lamps, Front and Rear Lighter, and Alumenum Wheels and it delivers between 25-32 mpg and its an awesome car.

My Pride and Joy
By Intrepidfan000 on 01/17/10 15:53 PM (PST)

2000 Dodge Intrepid ES 4dr Sedan

I purchased the Intrepid in July of 2008 when it had 61494 miles on it. The major selling points I noticed were that although the car is a boat, it handles like a sports car as it glides along the road like a hot knife through butter. It has graceful, yet aggressive lines, very comfortable supportive seats, a cavernous trunk and cabin, and much more. I have had no problems with the car, and it has taken me from A to B efficiently and stylistically. Unfortunately, the car was totaled in January of 2010 at a young age of 70,512 miles. I have heard that 2.7 liter engine has been problematic, but mine gave me no trouble. As long as you treat it like your pride and joy, you'll be fine.

Best Car I EVER Owned...
By MoJo1491 on 11/03/09 16:21 PM (PST)

2000 Dodge Intrepid ES 4dr Sedan

in 50 years of driving including U.S., Japanese & English, all expensive to maintain & needing major work. On advice of mechanic, bought 2000 ES w/2.7L engine. Have NEVER had a major problem. In 10 years & 126K miles, have replaced one power steering pump & put new bushings on inner tie rods. Preventive maintenance is key; brakes, tires, check up & detail every 6 mos. Use 100% synthetic oil. No kids, no smoking, no food in car. Around town and in trips between TX & CA, routinely average 33 mpg. Hauled 5 adults & 2 tons of rock & made 4 household moves. She's still cherry inside & out. Will get another 200K or 10 yrs from her. Just bought a 2nd 2000 Intrepid cuz they don't make 'em anymore.

Worst car ever!
By jay spivak on 10/21/09 12:41 PM (PDT)

2000 Dodge Intrepid 4dr Sedan

Had more problems with this car then any other. Very poor quality. Rims rusted. Interior door lining fall off. All kinds of mechanical problems. Vent system in fuel filler. Computer. Brakes. Windows. Door locks break, door won't open. Engine light issues. Winshield Wipers, electrical problems, oil light. goes on and on! And it only has 57,000 miles on it. Well kept and always serviced! A real LEMON!

2.7 L Engine Problems
By Todd N. on 06/27/09 08:36 AM (PDT)

2000 Dodge Intrepid 4dr Sedan

I purchased this Dodge Intrepid for my 87-year old Mother. It had 32,000 miles and I had it checked out by the local Dodge dealer who gave it his stamp of approval.I had the dealer flush the engine and replace the oil with synthetic and a 5 micron oil filter. When I picked up the car, a mechanic told me very quietly, “This won’t help.” He knew what I was trying to avoid. He said these engines are junk. I gave the car to my Mother and she was very happy, for about 1500 miles when the engine blew due to an “Oil Sludge” problem, so said the dealer. I ended up buying a kit to have a 3.2L installed. It is still on the road today but this will be my last Chrysler I ever own.

204000 miles before retirement
By tc on 06/10/09 21:50 PM (PDT)

2000 Dodge Intrepid 4dr Sedan

I loved this car and hated to junk it. However, I got my money out of this car. I brought it brand new with 7 mile on it. I had to buy to 2 rebulit transmissions $1900 each time. I got an oil change every 4-5 weeks because I drove 750 miles a week. I had to replace the brakes quit often and the seal around the doors would not stay on. The car was a good car but the transmissions where the only major problems that I had with the intrepid. I wish Dodge would make better transmissions. I will always LOVE the car and the 204000 miles speaks volume. R.I.P Trepy 10/18/1999-06/05/2008

Great car best I had so far
By ki2006 on 01/13/09 14:46 PM (PST)

2000 Dodge Intrepid 4dr Sedan

When I got this car it had 40,000miles. l now have over 150,000 Went to Florida twice from St. Louis, Missouri no problems. But people trying to steal it and I'm hard on brakes but other than that love it. Great gas miles. Wish I could find another car built like this one. People believe me this car is no lemon. Built to stand with the best Would take this over any sedan

Second Dodge disaster
By DG Rochester NY on 11/19/08 07:14 AM (PST)

2000 Dodge Intrepid ES 4dr Sedan

Fun to drive and looked good. Sold with 93,000 miles. Cheap interior plastic parts and carpet, door molds fell out of door, cheap leather on seats. Replaced power divers power motor. Window just fell to bottom of door. Transmisson died at 92K. $1,300 for tranny! 3.2 L engine ran OK but started blowing blue smoke. Cut my losses and sold. Second Dodge! Both were junk! Will never buy any other Dodge or Chyrsler again.

Dodge 2.7 Engine a Lemon
By john on 10/24/08 15:02 PM (PDT)

2000 Dodge Intrepid 4dr Sedan

This is a beautiful car inside and outside. My complaint is that the oil got burned out the exhaust very slowly until the crank went! No warning lights, buzzers, or other indicators that the oil was extremely low and the engine overheating. Dodge refuses to stand behind their lemon engine. Thousands of sad stories like this are on the Internet. I will never buy another north American vehicle again. I'm finished with them. Jds