Used 2000 Dodge Intrepid Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Dodge Intrepid - Consumer Reviews

2000 Dodge Intrepid

View reviews for a specific Intrepid model:

2000 Intrepid
By jkzn

2000 Dodge Intrepid 4dr Sedan

Many misc. minor problems as well as major problems with 2.7L engine. Not very reliable.

Favorite Features

Style and size

Suggested Improvements

Quality need to be upgraded before I purchase another Chrysler product

disapointment and frustration !!!!!
By john bergendahl

2000 Dodge Intrepid 4dr Sedan

i purchased it with 29,000 miles on it.got rid of it at 34,000 miles.the whole time of ownership i had a check engine light that stayed on more then the radio! a/c didnt work either.i changed the oil every two months regardless of miles.the sludge build up wont stop no matter how much the oil is changd i recomend any one with a intrepid to get rid of it NOW!!!!!!!!!

Favorite Features

ACTUALLY GETTING IT TO START UP !!! GOING TO WORK ONE DAY OUT OF THE WEEK WITH OUT A CHECK ENGINE LIGHT!!!

Suggested Improvements

stop building 2.7 litre engines,THIS CAR WOULD HAVE BEEN BETTER OFF WITH A 1.8 LITRE FOUR CYCLINDER!!!!!

Be careful!!!!!
By rawolfee

2000 Dodge Intrepid 4dr Sedan

If you are going to buy this car, make sure it was well maintained. The standard 2.7L engine that comes with the car, will eventually fail if the oil is not changed religiously every 3000 miles. If you don't believe me, do a search on the interenet for 2.7L engine failure, you'll be amazed at how many people, myself included, have had major engine failure at low miles. It happened to us at just over 70k. It's going to cost us $6000 to get a new engine, becuase they are in such high demand. That fact alone should tell you something. The engine failure will happen with little. BE CAREFULL or you might end up with an expensive lawn ornament!!!!

Favorite Features

We have 3 children and they had plenty of room to move around in the back seat. That is the main reason we purchased the car, it has a ton of room.

Suggested Improvements

Re-call the faulty 2.7L engine and replace it. I for one will never buy another Chrysler product until they admit to and fix this problem.

Dissatisfied
By VERY Dissatisfied

2000 Dodge Intrepid 4dr Sedan

I am very dissatisfied with the car. We had trouble with it with a cam shaft cencor whitch ended up costing us better than $500 and now the timing chain went threw the engine and is goiing to cost us about $5,000 to fix. We only have 81000 miles on it. My old 96 Monte carlo has 194000 on it and only uses a court of oil between oil changes every 5000 miles. We changed the oil on the Intreped every 3000 miles and it is JUNK. I don't think that I could ever buy another DODGE produt again. JUNK JUNK JUNK

Favorite Features

Smoth ride

Suggested Improvements

STAND behind your products. Get rid of more road noise. Build a car that will at least get 10000 miles on it before it falls apart. Rear door panles come loose. Rubber around doors comes loose and has to be repaired. My suggestion is DO NOT BUY THIS CAR!!!!!

Do NOT buy!!!
By bmharrison

2000 Dodge Intrepid 4dr Sedan

On the surface, it looks like a great car and until recently, I loved mine. However, the engine has a defect and the timing chain will slip at anywhere between 60,000 and 80,000 miles and destroy the engine. The cost to replace is generally 5,000 and Chrysler refuses to do anything about it. It is a safety issue--the engine will seize while you're driving and you lose all steering and breaking. This is affecting hundreds if not thousands of owners at this time. If you want to confirm, do a search for timing chain and dodge,I now have a car that is worth nothing (it's not worth it to replace the engine) and I still owe $6,000 on it!

Favorite Features

Until the engine went, I really liked the car. Nice smooth drive and lots of interior room. However, all that is not worth the engine trouble!

Suggested Improvements

Chrysler needs to accept responsibility for their engine defect and dangerous driving situation (I think that loosing breaking and steering suddenly while driving constitutes a serious safety issue!) and either pay for the replacement engine, or recall it all together!