Used 2000 Dodge Intrepid Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Dodge Intrepid - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Intrepid model:

Canadian Chrysler Intrepid - Better Engine
By kipstorm

2000 Dodge Intrepid 4dr Sedan

After 235,000 miles, I finally had to lay her to rest. Many mechanics will tell you the 2.7 Chrysler engines have a timing chain problem but this one was made in Canada and I had no problems; the engine was quiet on the last day. (Wife had same engine but made in USA and all the problems.) Through the years, I replaced: strut assemblies, coolant hose, normal batteries and brakes, lights. It was solid; best car I've ever owned. Goodbye, I'll miss you.

Favorite Features

Quiet engine, heavy duty fabric, well made dash. Tons of room inside. Tons of room in trunk. Quiet. Full size spare tire. Huge top of dash. Huge windshield. About 25 MPH on highway for this large car.

Suggested Improvements

Cab forward sucks because the battery is below the air filter. You have to take it out by the front tire, as per the manual. Absolutely no room to work on the car, except for the spark plugs.

junk
By jamie562

2000 Dodge Intrepid ES 4dr Sedan

i have had my intrepid for only 6 monthes it has alternator problems check engine light problems wont stay running stalls when i turn a corner and stop, has engine sludge, blown head gasket oil problems hesitates shakes etc this car is worthless and i would suggest not to buy ive had more problems than anything oh yea this is the 2nd motor and its still [non-permissible content removed] do not buy

Favorite Features

none

234,123 miles and still racking 'em up!
By msm618

2000 Dodge Intrepid R/T 4dr Sedan

I bought my wife this 2000 Intrepid ES brand new. 3.2 liter . Several moves, coupled with life events, made me the sole operator of this car in 2002. My commutes have ranged from 750 miles per week, presently, to 1500 miles per week! I had the door weatherstripping re-installed very early on (poor adhesive). 2 timing belts, 2 water pumps, 3 tune-ups, 3 sets of tires and religious oil changes have helped me reach this mileage. Never been waxed (my bad, I know!), but gets stares and complements everywhere it goes. Has never failed me in 10 New England winters, and has saved my butt twice - a deer strike, and getting T-boned by a brand-new Volvo, whose front end exploded off on impact.

Favorite Features

NO RUST! In 10 years in New England, thats quite a compliment to the build quality! The leather is very high-quality, despite some reviews to the contrary on Edmunds. Trust me, I was not a fan of leather seating in the past, but this car totally changed my mind! Soooo comfortable to drive - sound system is ear-bleedingly strong (Pink! and Liz Phair!). Since this car is all highway miles, we have original trans, alternator, etc. Never let me down! I'm shopping for a 2002-2004 as I write this. My wife reallly wants "her" car back!

Suggested Improvements

Outside of the space-mandated battery placement, this car was very-well thought out. Kudos, D-C!

not as bad as expected
By moncton

2000 Dodge Intrepid 4dr Sedan

bought this car last winter for $2,000/135,000km. Spent some on new front rotors & pads, new plugs, flush coolant. after 6 months, replace brake lines (ouch) 1,000. checked mpg today 24 mpg imperial, mixed hwy & city. 9.7L/100km. not too bad, burns a little oil, nice ride, smooth.

Will miss you RIP 186510 miles!!!!! thank you
By kjroadrunner68

2000 Dodge Intrepid 4dr Sedan

Bought my first car 2000. Sad day today 7-30-11 just drove it to the junk yard to be crushed ending miles 186,510. I cannot complain about it to much. No major problems with anything only issue was A/C went about 5 years ago and driver side window seemed like it was always coming out of track. I would totally buy another one if they were still made. She was a good car and was a blast to drive in the New York winters!!!! Got $400 better then trading it in. Thank you for your loyal service. R.I.P.

Favorite Features

nice big trunk/inside was roomy