Used 1999 Dodge Intrepid Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Dodge Intrepid Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Intrepid model:

Keeps on going
By Jeff in Denver

1999 Dodge Intrepid Sedan 4dr Sedan

I have had this car since new and it does have some issues. cam sensors, heater fan is either off or on high. However, car has never left me stranded by the side of the road, gets good gas mileage for its size, and it's a great interstate touring car. Transmission line leaks a little(only in winter) Yes,I would buy another.

Size,handling, gas mileage, trunk, and style of course.

Better engines and re-routing of transmission lines.

Piece of Junk
By Chris

1999 Dodge Intrepid Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought my Intrepid brand new and have been plagued by repair after repair since the warranty ran out. One highlight was when the power brake booster went out and had no brakes! There have been plenty of repairs in between, but now at 60,000 miles the air conditioner went out and the 3rd cylinder has only 60% compression with an idle of a tank. Also, like many others, the motor on one of my windows is also out.

I really like the body style and roominess

A company that will build a good vehicle and back it up. I will not buy another Chrysler product again.

Don't buy this car!
By Robin W

1999 Dodge Intrepid Sedan 4dr Sedan

The engine went on my well maintained 3.6L engine at 59,000 miles- no warning- no (reliable) explanation. After LOTS of headaches Chrysler paid half the repair bill directly to the dealer- refusing to speak directly to me at all- and I had to pay the remaining $4000 bill for a car that was not even 5 years old! I have been told that this is COMMON in this car but no one (Chrysler, BBB, Attny General, etc.) will do anything about it.

Fix the defective 3.6L engine and repay all of the owners who had to pay a lot of money to replace theirs!

99 intrepid es mechanical problems
By altagent

1999 Dodge Intrepid Sedan ES 4dr Sedan

I was driving to Lake Tahoe on a Saturday and the engine just started spazzing out for no reason. It felt like the timing belt jumped or I lost fuel but I let it sit for 10 minutes and it ran fine. 20 minutes down the road the same thing. 10 minutes later it ran fine. I drove another 100 miles to Tahoe and parked it. I started it up 2 days later and the wipers were spazzing out now. I drove it 120 miles and half way home it Spazzed out again. Idiot light was on and I brought it to the shop. Code was misfire. Light promptly went off and I drive it daily now. These cars are so heavily computerized that I think there is a hot wire somewhere to the trans that's causing this.Disappointe

Styling, Leather interior, trip computer, great sound. Comfortable. Love the Autostick.

Noisy interior on highway. Trans shifts to 4th at 40mph and sluggish unless you autostick back down to 3rd until 50mph.

don't do it
By Jimmy1

1999 Dodge Intrepid Sedan 4dr Sedan

My good friend bought a used 1999 intrepid with about 109k miles on it. With in a couple months, the engine seized up. As I look at other reviews, I am surprised the car made it as long as it did. Other things he has had problems with catalytic converter went out, problems with the electrical - there is a loose wire somewhere, and now to start the car, one of the doors has to be open. The battery is a full day's job to replace, as is the alternator (you have to take off the radiator fans). After changing the battery and fixing a flat tire, we had 3 of the lug nuts come right off with the bolts. This car shouldn't have ever been put out for use by the public

good size, style

Keep the body style, and replace EVERYTHING else with parts that will last.