Used 1999 Dodge Intrepid Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Dodge Intrepid - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Intrepid model:

Valuable advice
By Badintrepid

1999 Dodge Intrepid 4dr Sedan

I bought my Dodge Intrepid used a few years ago. I loved it despite the window problems I had initially. It was very comfortable to drive and a fun car in general. But then one thing broke down after another and they were all major concerns. My transmission has died costing $2,000 plus the speed sensors and other problems you can find online very easily. The oil system is also a major concern in most models because it was designed very poorly. Although this car seems great at first - try asking repair people their opinions on this car. You'll get a good laugh. Although my family members are employed by Chrysler, after this experience, I will never ever buy a Chrysler/Dodge product again!

Roominess, comfort-factor, good traveling car, good stereo.

A working transmission, better engine, a good oil system, Cup holders in back, and door handles that do not make the car so easy to break into.

Known engine problem
By mh

1999 Dodge Intrepid 4dr Sedan

I always enjoyed the car. It was comfortable, roomy, and the 2.7L is economical. It was reliable in Chicago winters, and only had minor repairs. At 70,000 miles it threw a rod. Dodge wants $6300 for a new engine. Turns out small oil ports sludge up and kill the engine. Dodge says the problem is poor maintenance, but dealer changed the oil every 4-5,000 miles without warning me that 4-5,000 mile changes are only good on the Hondas, Toyotas, Volvos & Pontiacs on which we've put 125-150,000 miles each in the last 20 years. Who knew? Oh - wait - Chrysler did. If you've got one, find out what you can do to de-sludge it, or trade it in by 50,000 miles.

Spacious interior, massive trunk, good looks, economical (24-25 mpg).

Fix the engine! 70,000 miles is not a normal lifespan for an engine. At the very least, warn all owners: change the oil every 3000 mi, with synthetic oil!

I love my '99 ES
By Tihson69

1999 Dodge Intrepid ES 4dr Sedan

I have ownd my '99 ES since '00. I LOVE IT. I have had no major issues (with the exception of the brake rotors-- warping--COMMON PROBLEM!!) & a brake sensor -- I have only had to replace my cup holder (broken by my own fault); and my passenger front window motor is slow to roll up/down (due to someone hitting me as I was parked in a lot). I have added several 300 M parts (chrome shifter for autostick), chrome window switches, and 17" chrome wheels. If the gas mileage was better (or had a bigger engine --say 4.5L I would be EXTREMELY happy --I can carry all I ever need with 18.4 CU FT of trunk space!

TRUNK; looks; sound system

MORE MOTOR!! Better brakes -- a car this size should never have had brakes this small/inefficient.

Good Car
By Brian

1999 Dodge Intrepid 4dr Sedan

We've had the car now for 5 years, we bought it 1 year used. We currently have 166,000 miles on the 2.7 V6 and its doing fine. We've had Honda Accords in the past. Compared to the Hondas it rides smoother (except over sharp bumps), similar seat comfort, and is much larger inside and in the trunk. It is not as tight or refined as the Honda. Problems we've had include: Window motors, wiper motors, front ball joints (lower control arm), input and output speed sensors. Overall we're talking maybe $1000 repairs over 5 years and 166000 miles. Though we had fewer repairs on the Honda, I would still consider the car to have been very reliable. It's still running strong and we love driving it.

Ride, large interior and trunk, handling, seat comfort, styling

Perhaps improvements to above mentioned problems, reduce wind/road noise, quieter motor during hard acceleration

99 Intrepid Review
By Jim Katso

1999 Dodge Intrepid ES 4dr Sedan

I bought an Intrepid ES with all options new in 1999 and have taken the car about 65,000 miles. While granted my annual mileage is low, I have kept a detailed log of repair expenses and have found the Intrepid to be very reliable to date. My transmission control module went at 35000 miles (warranty). Other repairs have been Keyless remote motor went ($200), Sway Link (warranty),passenger rear window motor ($150). So overall a very high quality level. The car is fun to drive, especially on long road trips. Handles well and has excellent acceleration for highway. I have found the performance in snow to be disappointing. Overall, when I see these cars listed for around $6K, it's a value

Huge Power Moonroof, comfortable Leather seats, Bose sound system, large trunk, nice styling.

No backseat cupholders (unbelievalabe), rear doors wingspan can be a hassle in tight parking areas.