1999 Dodge Intrepid - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Intrepid model:
It's just "OK"
By Countess on 06/27/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Intrepid 4dr Sedan

at 34,000 miles the Cruise control had a problem that caused the rpms to go above 3000mph when sitting Idol. The car would try to move forward with my foot on the break. The car dealership had to replace the cruise control. Also at about 35,000 miles the air compressor stopped working and caused the fan belt to break while I was driving. I lost Air conditioning and to fix the belt and compressor it cost $1200.00 at the Dodge dealership. The car is big and comfortable but I would not buy another Intrepid.

Poor long term vehicle
By Smed on 05/17/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Intrepid ES 4dr Sedan

My Intrepid has less than 70K miles and already needs a new rack and pinion, has oil sludge in the engine, the lights will come on by themselves and won't turn off, and the heater only blows hot air when accelerating or the RPMs are over 1500. The car is falling apart.

Nothing but mechanical problems
By Sad Dodge Owner on 05/04/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Intrepid ES 4dr Sedan

After five years of continuous mechanical problems, the 2.7L engine siezed for no apparent reason (we changed the oil pretty regularly), resulting in a total write-off. I wish I'd never bought the car.

no major problems
By alot for the money on 04/26/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Intrepid ES 4dr Sedan

Never had any major problems with the car, original tranmission, no engine problems, its my second intrepid, i had a 1995 intrepid, and got the new body style, car could have better pick up, and tighter steering,

Lemon
By tonywk1 on 04/21/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Intrepid 4dr Sedan

I Like the car when its running, which isn't often lately. Try to trade it in and somethen else goes wrong. Timing belt twice,once it busted valves and head gasket, rack and pinion, a/c, sensors,heater fan, etc.... Major pain in rear.

rack n pinion
By queenbee72 on 03/30/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Dodge Intrepid 4dr Sedan

We have a 99 and it is with 50,000 miles on it and it is in need of a rack and pinion already and dealer says it is not covered under the regualr warranty this is a major repair and I think dodge needs to cover more.

Shame on Dodge
By Jacatch on 03/20/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Dodge Intrepid 4dr Sedan

I decided to buy a U.S. car because I thought that by now most cars are similar in reliability. This car was okay until the engine went out at 66,000 miles. My research on the internet has found that this is a common problem with this engine (V-6 2.6 litre). Dodge/Chrysler will not help out in any way (I tried). 3 other people where I work had similar problems with the engine going out (1999,2000 and 2001). Daimler-Chrysler has no idea how many people will never buy a Dodge again. Word of mouth is spreading on the Intrepid; all of the repair shops know about the problem with this engine.

After 4 years of ownership
By Irish911 on 02/02/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Dodge Intrepid 4dr Sedan

This intrepid has been pretty reliable. The only problems encountered, ignition switch, drivers window track (power window), and now the heater fan only has two speeds "Off and High". Would I purchase another Intrepid, probably, if the deal was right.

worst car I have ever owned
By miss smith on 01/24/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Dodge Intrepid 4dr Sedan

Be careful, these cars will screw you over. We thought it was a good car, until the engine went bad at 70,000 miles, the heating fan went out at 50,000, the struts went bad, the electric windows wouldn't work anymore, tape player doesnt work.... Need I say more. Piece of crap, and I am not the only one to say so. Watch out! We've been stung. Bad resale value also.

Dead before 75000
By Never Again on 01/22/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Dodge Intrepid 4dr Sedan

I bought this car new. I have bought new Dodges for the past 25 years. I just went out and bought a Honda. With less than 75,000 miles on the car, the engine went. I understand this problem is standard on the smaller engine. I kept buying American because I thought it was my duty. I am just a working class guy and cannot afford a car that just dies at 75,000 miles.