1999 Dodge Intrepid Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Intrepid model:
Keeps on going
By Jeff in Denver on 02/03/05 21:39 PM (PST)

1999 Dodge Intrepid Sedan 4dr Sedan

I have had this car since new and it does have some issues. cam sensors, heater fan is either off or on high. However, car has never left me stranded by the side of the road, gets good gas mileage for its size, and it's a great interstate touring car. Transmission line leaks a little(only in winter) Yes,I would buy another.

Piece of Junk
By Chris on 12/31/04 21:15 PM (PST)

1999 Dodge Intrepid Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought my Intrepid brand new and have been plagued by repair after repair since the warranty ran out. One highlight was when the power brake booster went out and had no brakes! There have been plenty of repairs in between, but now at 60,000 miles the air conditioner went out and the 3rd cylinder has only 60% compression with an idle of a tank. Also, like many others, the motor on one of my windows is also out.

Don't buy this car!
By Robin W on 11/30/04 07:44 AM (PST)

1999 Dodge Intrepid Sedan 4dr Sedan

The engine went on my well maintained 3.6L engine at 59,000 miles- no warning- no (reliable) explanation. After LOTS of headaches Chrysler paid half the repair bill directly to the dealer- refusing to speak directly to me at all- and I had to pay the remaining $4000 bill for a car that was not even 5 years old! I have been told that this is COMMON in this car but no one (Chrysler, BBB, Attny General, etc.) will do anything about it.

99 intrepid es mechanical problems
By altagent on 10/26/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Intrepid Sedan ES 4dr Sedan

I was driving to Lake Tahoe on a Saturday and the engine just started spazzing out for no reason. It felt like the timing belt jumped or I lost fuel but I let it sit for 10 minutes and it ran fine. 20 minutes down the road the same thing. 10 minutes later it ran fine. I drove another 100 miles to Tahoe and parked it. I started it up 2 days later and the wipers were spazzing out now. I drove it 120 miles and half way home it Spazzed out again. Idiot light was on and I brought it to the shop. Code was misfire. Light promptly went off and I drive it daily now. These cars are so heavily computerized that I think there is a hot wire somewhere to the trans that's causing this.Disappointe

don't do it
By Jimmy1 on 10/13/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Intrepid Sedan 4dr Sedan

My good friend bought a used 1999 intrepid with about 109k miles on it. With in a couple months, the engine seized up. As I look at other reviews, I am surprised the car made it as long as it did. Other things he has had problems with catalytic converter went out, problems with the electrical - there is a loose wire somewhere, and now to start the car, one of the doors has to be open. The battery is a full day's job to replace, as is the alternator (you have to take off the radiator fans). After changing the battery and fixing a flat tire, we had 3 of the lug nuts come right off with the bolts. This car shouldn't have ever been put out for use by the public

All around great car!
By jhuk21 on 09/28/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Intrepid Sedan ES 4dr Sedan

This car has everything you could need. Enough power, comfort, and reliability. I have over 110,000 miles and it still runs very smooth and strong and the interior is practically brand new. Nothing has gone out on it, yet.

Great Car For Us!!
By airportdave on 08/10/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Intrepid Sedan ES 4dr Sedan

We've had our fully loaded ES for over 5 years and we love it- roomy and comfortable and reliable. To date, the only major probelm has been the transmission control module, replaced under warranty at 20,000m. Replacing the OEM struts and upgrading to 235/55/17 tires/wheels made it handle even better.

Terrible
By olive5 on 08/05/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Intrepid Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought this leased vehicle from my company (who obtained it new) and I know it had good perodic maintenance because I saw the records but it had catastrophic failure of the engine and transmission with less than 74,000 miles on it. Daimler-Chrysler should be ashamed of this 2.7L engine.

Engine issues
By Shonda on 07/28/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Intrepid Sedan 4dr Sedan

I loved this car when I first got it. It's so comfortable and drives really nice. I had a couple of minor issues, which you can always expect when you own a car. The problem came when the oil light started coming on a few months ago. My oil didn't need changed so I didn't undertand the problem. The repair shop told me this is an issue w/ Dodge engines. The oil cannot circulate because of narrow passages and therefore cooks the oil, causing a sludge buildup. After researching I found that this really is a common problem among this car. Just do a search on "oil sludge Intrepid". Now my car has 51,000 miles and will die soon.

A sexy value packed family car
By carguy85 on 07/11/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Intrepid Sedan 4dr Sedan

This car is drop dead gorgeous. It is easily the best looking car with four doors. The interior is huge and very comfortable and it dash and gauges look sporty. While the car is really big physically, it handles very well and is quite tossable on backroads. The base V6 could have been more powerful though, but it was adequate enough for most situations. Reliability is actually quite good with no serious problems to report, though with 75000 miles on it, the power windows are begining to short circuit sometimes. Overall, though, it is a very good car with good value, lots of style, and a high fun to drive quotient.