Used 1999 Dodge Intrepid Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Dodge Intrepid - Consumer Reviews

1999 Dodge Intrepid

View reviews for a specific Intrepid model:

Mobil1 oil for 2.7 engine is the secret
By Ros

1999 Dodge Intrepid 4dr Sedan

I had this intrepid for 4yrs. Changed brake pads, spark plugs, heater hoses, trans fluid, Mobil1 high mile, new tires, new speakers all around with the 2.7 v-6 engine with 170000 miles 3/5/08. Water pump still has not went

Favorite Features

Love the room, large trunk. When I clean it up she stands out, and labor overall has been cheap.

Suggested Improvements

Better build quilty on interior materials.

Love my baby
By eric

1999 Dodge Intrepid 4dr Sedan

I bought this vehicle used with 36,000 miles. I've put over 27,000 miles a year on this baby and have had little or no trouble. She now has 230,000 miles and just needs a speed sensor. As long as you service and change your oil and fluids,your intrepid will run forever. She has the 2.7 and I'm very impressed. Too bad they have taken them off the market. I would not hesitate to buy another as long as I have the maintenance schedule. In all I've only put about $1000.00 into her, other than oil and fluid changes/tires and brakes.

Favorite Features

Roomy, fast acceleration and very dependable.

Suggested Improvements

Bring them back, I want a new one!

Dodge Demo
By Dodge Demo

1999 Dodge Intrepid 4dr Sedan

I bought my Intrepid in '99. It was a demo with only 3000 miles on it. I loved the car until about 65,000 miles when the engine seized up and had to be rebuilt. I later found out that this is common with the Intrepid. Very costly repair. I gave it to my son to drive about a year ago and he recently totaled it in a crash. At this time it had 140,000 miles on it. Worked out pretty good for me though because trade in value was only about $1000.00 but the insurance company gave me $3000.00!

Favorite Features

Design, Very roomy, Good Power, huge trunk.

Suggested Improvements

If Dodge would have had a good engine in this car it would still be made today.

"Old Friend"
By Chrome

1999 Dodge Intrepid 4dr Sedan

This was my very first car and I was so in love with it, that I now own another one... Before my first one died though, I purchased it in 2004 with already over 120K on it. This car reliably and safely got me all the way from FL to WA state, while towing a U-haul trailer, and also on one blown cylinder... only one glitch to the trip was it wouldn't go over 40 over the Rockies, but hey, it was missing a cylinder and towing a u-haul. It had its share of minor problems, but the engine never failed to fire up. I got a good solid 3-4 years and about 60K out of mine before it finally died. Loved it so much I bought another 99 just yesterday! Looking forward to life with this one now too!

Favorite Features

Room! Roomy interior and lot of trunk space. Always admired the body shape. Classy Sedan look without being grandpa- like.

Suggested Improvements

I wish they were still making these cars! There are some blind spots to get used to and the deep dash and windshield make them hard to reach when cleaning.

Looks are deceiving!
By Brenda

1999 Dodge Intrepid 4dr Sedan

My '99 Intrepid ran great, looks great and is great, unless you have to diagnose a malfunction with it. One problem consist of 4 or 5 smaller problems together and will cost you an arm and a leg to fix correctly.

Favorite Features

Used to be the get up and go...now it barely goes.

Suggested Improvements

Put actual guages in every model, not just "idiot lights"