1999 Dodge Intrepid Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Dodge Intrepid - Consumer Reviews

1999 Intrepid Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Intrepid model:

Sort Reviews by

Great Car
By arcticslalom

1999 Dodge Intrepid 4dr Sedan

Wife has this car for past 7 years. We ran it till 220,000 miles and sold it for $1000. What a great car. 28 mpg, very reliable. The car held together very well. Almost everything worked perfectly when we sold it. It was her car through medical school, residency, fellowship and finally her first year as an MD. Just based on this car, I would certainly buy another dodge car. Can't say enough about the engine and transmission. I've owned nissan's for years, but this dodge really proved that the domestics are doing some things right in the sedan category.

Favorite Features

great MPG. Always good ride on highway. lots of storage.

Suggested Improvements

none.

Kinda untrustworthy but decent
By aulin_yuar

1999 Dodge Intrepid 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used maybe two years ago with 73K and 93K the engine blew. I felt something coming for awhile, and continued to get it check, but nothing was found. Car would feel as though it wanted to shut down so many times, and even sometimes it would as though I were missing a sensor. Got a sensor replaced and it drove better until it finally shut down for good. I also do not like the brake system on this car, very hard.

Favorite Features

Very comfortable in the inside and spacious.

do not buy this car
By knight1988

1999 Dodge Intrepid 4dr Sedan

I am a 21 year old. This is by far the worst car I have ever owned. The first year was okay, Purchase car 4/11/08 from 2 owner WITH 94K. Motor start go BAD 104K AND TRANS TOO ON 5\23\11. Also the power window motor went out 3 time. Water pump went bad too. service and change oil and fluids every 1500 miles. First, the car started burning oil too fast. I was putting about 3 quarts of oil in it every weeks. Daimler-Chrysler should be ashamed of this 2.7L engine. i will never buy dodge again

Favorite Features

love body that it

Suggested Improvements

dodge should admit the motors are defective and recall them

Looks will last, not performance
By ifilmlife

1999 Dodge Intrepid 4dr Sedan

This car was bought new in '99 by my mother. The car was passed to me in 2006. Since then, every little thing went wrong. First, the car started burning oil too fast. I was putting about 3 quarts of oil in it every 2 weeks. Then the cam sensor and starter went bad, causing the car to stall. They were replaced but 5 months later the same problem arose. Soon after I was putting 3 quarts of oil every 3 days. It could not survive trips longer than 2 hrs. Tire rod problems caused tires to wear down quickly. Finally the cover to the part you put oil exploded while driving. It died at 160k miles, I will admit it was poorly maintained but still lasted 12 years.

Favorite Features

Never rusted, inside was easy to maintain, fun to drive, LOTS of inside and trunk space. Lasted 12 years with below average maintenance.

Suggested Improvements

Oil management was terrible. A/C dies out quickly. Front end is easily torn up. Engine was about to give up at 160k miles (not bad).

The 1999 Dodge Intrepid is a piece of junk.
By bubbaman42

1999 Dodge Intrepid 4dr Sedan

The intrepid was o k at first but after it got a few thousand miles it started having a lot of trouble.The 2.7 motor is too weak for this car and gives a lot of problems.We had to replace the motor at about 80,000 miles.I am just glad we had a warranty.After that the computer was going out.Sometimes the intrepid would die going down the road and not start for about 10 minutes.One trip it died on me 10 times within a 70 mile trip.A mechanic said a computer for it would be around $1000.00.To me the intrepid was not worth that.The heater fan only worked on high.Some of the windows would not go down.All I can say is the Intrepid was my firdt and last Dodge.

Favorite Features

Body style and trunk capacity.

Suggested Improvements

Different motor,better computer system,and better body.A lot of the body is made out of plastic.

Best Rear Seat in the Business!
By famguy

1999 Dodge Intrepid 4dr Sedan

I bought my '99 Intrepid used, after riding in a co-workers older model and finding a back seat that actually accommodated an overweight adult male. I rented a Chrysler Concorde on a trip east for a family funeral, and spent 3 days driving around my parents plus my sister and the widow. They had no trouble getting into and out of the back seat repeatedly. My middle daughter is 5'9" and not thin, and she preferred the back seat to the front because she could actually cross her legs without a problem. I always felt virtuous flying down the interstate with the low front end and raked windshield, as the SUV air plows spent $$$ pushing air out of the way. No other "family" car has that back seat

Favorite Features

Roomy Back seat. Unmatched in the industry.

Suggested Improvements

Bring it back! There is not a sedan on the market now that can comfortably accommodate 3 adults in the back the way the Intrepid could. I know, I've tried to find one. (Vans and SUVs and other air-plows don't count!)

Use synthetic oil in the 2.7 engine
By Baby this car

1999 Dodge Intrepid 4dr Sedan

I've driven this car daily for 4 1/2 years, I have 160,000 on it currently, and the only things I've had to fix are the electric cooling fans, starter, alternator, battery, and a couple of trans sensors. I've studied this engine, and to take care of the sludge problem you need to run pure synthetic oil of the best variety you can find, it will pay for itself by giving you more performance, better gas mileage, and of course not blowing up. Most people treat their cars like crap and expect them to do everything cheaply, these folks will be the ones with the blown engines at 60,000. Also, run premium gas, that will also pay for itself with better mileage. Good car, I'll get 350,000 out of it

Favorite Features

Nice styling, also handles like the old MOPARS, (I had a 1970 AAR 'Cuda for years, very similar light steering) feels like a lighter car, it only weighs in at 3400 pounds, at least the 2.7 liter model does, decent gas mileage for the size car, I get 20 in the city 32 or better on long highway runs.

Suggested Improvements

A few more ponies, it only has 200 in my engine, even though I use premium gas and synthetic oil which do add a bit of performance. Fix the dang door lock and power window from breaking, I'd take manual window roll ups for my $$$.

Nice, until you hit the "wall"
By SpaceDude

1999 Dodge Intrepid 4dr Sedan

I was pretty happy with my Intrepid - only minor issues for 10 years. Biggest item: Starter needed replacement after 7 years and AC gave in. After 10 years, crank sensors gave in (2 different ones), resulting in stalling engine (not funny!) and Starter had to be replaced, again. Engine started to burn oil rapidly, Fan only worked on MAX or not at all. Brake lines had to be replaced - lucky I wasn't in an accident. In the 11th year - BUMM - Power Control Module is giving up! Cost: 50% of what the car's worth. The Mechanic said, the location of the module is bad: too hot and too exposed = design issue. Next issue on the horizon: Oxygen Sensor for the Cat. Convrt. No sludge - not enough miles.

Favorite Features

Design, definitely! Interior space is very generous, trunk is amazing - can almost park one of those Minis in there... well, almost. This car had a very comfortable ride while gas consumption was ok (got 350+ hwy miles with on tank = 15 gal, city so so: sometimes only 200 miles per tank)

Suggested Improvements

Electric, dear Dodge engineers, ELECTRIC! Why are there single wires dangling around instead of conduits? Was my Dodge a Monday car or something? Take a look at the Japanese cars: there are no single wires, everything is conduit. Placement and quality of electronics - c'mon, 11 years and 130k?

keep maintained
By destini

1999 Dodge Intrepid 4dr Sedan

this is a fun car to drive. 1st time owning a dodge. as long as maintained is a good car / risky if buying pre-owned. Common issue is head gasket, pistons & value guides causes car to smoke. After having these issues fixed I haven't been able to go to beach (anything to do with driving over mountains, huge inclines as such) but in city has been good car. Had car accident totaled vehicle I will not purchase another 1 but if had not been totaled I would still enjoy this car. Maintenance has not been to bad, really suggest just keep it up and should be an ok car.

Favorite Features

Interior, really fun to drive, comfortable interior, body design

Suggested Improvements

engine (head gaskets & pistons) window defrost

Save your self !!!!!
By gunny519

1999 Dodge Intrepid 4dr Sedan

i own the 2.7 model of the intrepid and now i am having to get a new car because the engine is failing me. i really am trying to save you by telling you to not to buy the intrepid with the 2.7 engine, if it has the other engines you should be just fine. i absolutly loves my car until things started going wrong. the biggest thing right now is the oil consumption, i go through a quart of oil about every 200 miles and there is no leak it is all burnt, there is so much burnt oil coming out of the exhaust that it bothers people behind me. the blower motor also just had to be replaced and there are other things that need fixed but since i am getting a new vehicle im not going to waste my money.

Favorite Features

the trunk size, tons of room in the back seat and in the front.

Suggested Improvements

dodge should admit the motors are defective and recall them!!!!!!