Great car for gas mileage
By rangejeep on
1998 Dodge Intrepid ES 4dr Sedan
Bought with 42,000 miles and racked up 160,000 Miles. I like the pep of the ES engine. Nice room inside (I'm 6-6). The auto stick is fun and useful when driving bumper to bumper traffic. Just pop into 2nd gear until you clear the traffic. I originally bought to have a large car now I keep for the good mileage. On the highway I'm at 30mpg. I'm surprised that no other large car gets better mileage in 10 years! Sure it has its issues and I've kept up with major maintenance like timing belt (a must at 100k miles). Some electric glitches and interior fading from the sun but it's held up well. The clear coat is now starting to peel but not too bad. If I keep forever a paint job would be in order.
Favorite Features
GREAT GAS MILEAGE!!! Auto stick, size, engine, and comfort to drive. On long distances it's great. I prefer over my wife's small SUV. Nice size trunk and back seat. I even fit! Easy to find parts and online forums to troubleshoot. I would consider a reliable car.
Suggested Improvements
Brakes is a known issue. DON'T BUY THE 2.7 LITER ENGINE. It's a dog and should have never moved to production. Transmission issues never had any yet) but it gives my car a low resale value. Paint is starting to peel; you think Dodge could have fixed problem by 1998. Rim clear coat is now fading